Thread: Your best 'clutch' victories?

Default Your best 'clutch' victories?

While playing my vanilla HE campaign I was attacked at Hoarwell by two much bigger armies and I wasn't that hopeful of victory then to make matters worse while setting my forces up I actually forgot about the second army attacking my rear until they charged into my ranks of archers. I decided that I was going to try and inflict as much casualties before my inevitable death. But Somehow my archers held their lines even though I had lost 42% of my army to their 18% and the battle swung in my favour and I eventually won out inflicting about 3000 casualties!

So my question is what was your best 'clutch' victory when you were fully convinced you were going to lose but prevailed in glorious victory?!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your best 'clutch' victories?

it is so common to have unexpected heroic victories with Elves that it is hard to remember.

Anyway, probably the best clutch victory was in my Eriador/Arnor campaign. I was at about turn 120, just reforged Arnor and sent a stack of very experienced (and retrained) Eriador units (mostly lumbermen, woodland hunters, merchant militia, a couple of battle dunedain and some generals, plus a ballista if IRC) led by Halbarad (that at the time was already a 10 star general) to help Gondor against Mordor, and I camped it on Rammas east gate.

Just after I arrived, during AI turn, Mordor sent 3 different stacks to attack me in a row; I had best position (defending the opened gate on the Rammas) but I have to fought three armies of about 4000 orcs each one after another; the first battle went quite good, during the second I almost lost all my infantry (due to the fact that they fielded 3 trolls units and 1 troll catapult), the last one was the very clutch victory, I was almost 1:4 and they had a unit of Ologs too, the battle finally swinged on my favour only when I managed to kill the Nazgul general by a lucky ballista shot, but to achive the victory I have to send all my archers in melee; I ended up with my 3rd heroic victory in a row, but no more than 200 men where left

definitely one of the best moments ever
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I remember when i did my final assault to Mordor as the Dwarves. I had a full stack composed of the most elite dwarven troops in the middle of Mordor and I was attacked by two full stacks of Mordor. I won the battle and my stack finished quite decimated but to my surprise I was attacked in the same turn by another two stacks of Mordor. It was like 8000 against less than 1000 and they had lots of Olog Hai and Troll Catapult (I hate them ) . I thought that it was my end but i dont know how I ended wining that battle. My Iron Guard did amazingly well and my Axe throwers were crucial to beat the trolls.

Over 95% of my troops were killed in that second battle but it was worth since not too many Orcs remained to defend their land and I conquered Mordor pretty easy after that

I once had the best battle in the whole of my TW experience....I was defending Edoras as Mordor against one 3/4 stack and one 1/2 Gondorian stacks,both led by generals.They had some decent units plus the usual archer and sword militia.I,on the other hand,had 3/4 stack of Urucks,Uruck haldberds and Uruck archers,my general was Khamul the Easterling.It was a veeery long battle (battle time limit was off).At first I defended the hill with half my forces but they soon overwelmed me with superior numbers so I left one unit of Haldberds to hold their advance and lined my men near the town center where they had to hold a small opening - the only way to the town center.A bloody battle ensued once again in which both forces were nearly destroyed - my guys fell to the last Uruck but not until they killed their two generals.In the end only Khamul and his bodyguards were left against 100 odd men.After many charges,screams and the death of the 20 bodyguards,20 gondorians were left.I was ready for the defeat message but Khamul never gave up.The one Nazgul killed them all.It was amaizing.In the end only he was left and no soldier of Gondor ever returned to Minas Tirith - only word reached them of the wrath of Khamul the Easterling

I've had a lot of battles that seemed like they were going to be rough, but one of the few I can remember where I genuinely felt I was going to lose was during my Gondor campaign, against the first Eastern Shadows stack. The stack came earlier than I'd expected, so I was still a few turns away from having my first ballista, but I did at least have enough advance warning to get my main army (Denethor, Boromir, Faramir, a couple units if Ithilien Rangers, and about half a stack of sword/archer militia) to the bridge near Henneth Annun. The initial wave of uruks wasn't much of a problem, but then the Olog-hai came in...they ripped most of my sword militia apart and killed most of Denethor's and Boromir's bodyguards before I finally got them down. By that point my rangers were running out of ammo, so I threw them into the melee to hold my battered line together, and about the same time I had to rush Boromir out of the fight to avoid losing him to the last couple of trolls. Then, finally, the Mumakil moved onto the bridge. I focused all my remaining archers on them, all the while doing my best Theoden impression ("bring it down, bring it down, bring it down!") but my archer militia couldn't get them in time. They crash into my remaining melee, and at this point I'm figuring my whole army and my 3 main generals are about to become one giant gelatinous ooze puddle. A couple of the mumakil finally go down, but I'm pretty much resigned to defeat, when suddenly I take a closer look...running amok!...hold on, we're not done yet! I ran all my remaining troops out of the path of the mindlessly rampaging mumakil, then brought them back to finish off the last remaining orcs, and somehow managed to escape with the victory and all 3 generals still alive.

Boromir and Faramir would go on to hold that bridge the entire rest of the campaign, against everything up to and including 2 full stacks at a time, but I made sure their army had plenty of ballista support in every subsequent battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeson View Post
    I've had a lot of battles that seemed like they were going to be rough, but one of the few I can remember where I genuinely felt I was going to lose was during my Gondor campaign, against the first Eastern Shadows stack. The stack came earlier than I'd expected, so I was still a few turns away from having my first ballista, but I did at least have enough advance warning to get my main army (Denethor, Boromir, Faramir, a couple units if Ithilien Rangers, and about half a stack of sword/archer militia) to the bridge near Henneth Annun. The initial wave of uruks wasn't much of a problem, but then the Olog-hai came in...they ripped most of my sword militia apart and killed most of Denethor's and Boromir's bodyguards before I finally got them down. By that point my rangers were running out of ammo, so I threw them into the melee to hold my battered line together, and about the same time I had to rush Boromir out of the fight to avoid losing him to the last couple of trolls. Then, finally, the Mumakil moved onto the bridge. I focused all my remaining archers on them, all the while doing my best Theoden impression ("bring it down, bring it down, bring it down!") but my archer militia couldn't get them in time. They crash into my remaining melee, and at this point I'm figuring my whole army and my 3 main generals are about to become one giant gelatinous ooze puddle. A couple of the mumakil finally go down, but I'm pretty much resigned to defeat, when suddenly I take a closer look...running amok!...hold on, we're not done yet! I ran all my remaining troops out of the path of the mindlessly rampaging mumakil, then brought them back to finish off the last remaining orcs, and somehow managed to escape with the victory and all 3 generals still alive.

Boromir and Faramir would go on to hold that bridge the entire rest of the campaign, against everything up to and including 2 full stacks at a time, but I made sure their army had plenty of ballista support in every subsequent battle.
    I love that bridge. Such an efficient place to grind orc armies into dust.

Eleril's story reminded me of a good one I had as FPOE where I ended up with Aragorn jousting trolls to finish the battle. Aragorn had recently taken a northern settlement (maybe Gram?), and somehow gotten sieged by surprise as my main force had gone forward to another conquer. The enemy army had 2 packs of trolls, 1 unit of wargs, maybe 4 units of infantry and a general, while I only had Aragorn and perhaps 2 units each of militia and hunters.

Now this was a siege, so it was win or die for Aragorn. As the siege began, I ran the Grey Company outside of the wall, then set up a grinder inside of the gate with my archers and militia (orcish style settlement). Now the Grey Company is very good at troll killing because they can skirmish and maintain close arrow fire (which trolls have low defense against), so Aragorn and the boys killed 1 troll unit outside of the walls by kiting before running out of ammo. It was quite hard to separate the trolls from the main army but with some careful maneuvering I was able.

Around this time the gate was broken and the Gundabad orcs started running into my grinder. I get a couple of good charges into the enemy units with Aragorn as they rush the gate. The wargs run up and die quickly to the brave Breeland Militia, but as soon as the remaining trolls make contact my men start dropping like flies. My archers are firing directly into the enemy blob of death at the gate, cutting down the enemy infantry nicely, but it looks like my militia will be dead before my hunters reach half ammo.

I run 1 group of hunters forward to act as backup infantry, keeping my other hunters shooting. I run Aragorn around to a side door then into the city. Miraculously the enemy general dies. The enemy hammers through my forward hunters. I withdraw my 1 intact group of hunters to the city center, hoping the enemy will spread out as they push into the city. Using Grey company charges and hunter fire, I manage to rout the remaining infantry through exhausting running and charging. However, eventually the trolls get into my archers, and then some infantry.

Eventually the battle ends with just Aragron + 6 Grey Company jousting against 4 heavily bleeding trolls. I would charge then disengage. I knew Aragorn's hitpoints were low, and I would lose 1-2 bodyguards per charge while disengaging. Eventually, the trolls fell and Aragorn + 2 Grey Companions held victory that day.

Orcs of the Misty Mountains - Battle of the Grey Mountains

Dain himself led an attack on Dain's Halls with a full stack containing at least 3 AoE. Not wanting to endure a siege, I moved my units on a hill and prepared my defenses, hoping I'd kill more dwarves this way before they took Dain's Halls. I had two wargs and two ballistas, and the rest were goblin infantry and Snaga (mostly archers) +1 unit of Goblin Halberdier. The dwarves attacked me after bumping into my stack (which is surprising because I was going to attack them after they stopped in front of me). The battle of the Grey Mountains begins! I immediately unload my archers to soften them up, however ineffective it may be. I then keep my archers as the front line with my two units of Skirmishers chucking away behind. Meanwhile, my ballistas are positioned to keep firing into the dwarven mass. I sent my melee-ers to flank on each side while keeping my halberdiers back as a trump card to make a weak spot for the wargs to get into.

Finding, Dain, I sent the halberdiers to move through the carnage and get his attention. The dwarf got the message and followed my unit as I retreated them out of battle with surprisingly few casualties. Separated from the rest of the battle, the BG unit chased my goblins around before being pelted from both sides by my wargs. Dain was slain after a second sandwich charge. The BG routed when I sent the halberdiers back in, and I had the wargs mop them up. I moved the halberds in to the huge mass of wavering goblins and confident dwarves. During all of this my ballistas were set on firing at the AoE and had done quite some work on them. Oddly enough, one ballista ran out before the other so I sent them to support the rapidly dwindling front line of snaga. The wargs returned to smashing the dwarves from behind, and one by one, each dwarven unit routed and got swallowed up by my wargs.

After some time I had lost all my orcs save for the one ballista and my wargs. There was still a near-full unit of Iron Guard and it was headed for my ballista and wargs at the top of the hill. My giant crossbow finally ran out, and once again the unit was sacrificed to create a pitiful defense against the dwarven menace. My Wargs kept charging until there was only a few left, but by that time my other ballista-orcs had fallen. Grasping the small thread that was victory, I sent what was left of my wargs into one final charge and managed to route the last of the Iron Guard, winning the battle. After the battle, the "man of the hour" event arose and I recruited what was to be my greatest orc general EVER. His picture also had the coolest helmet I've ever seen, he looked just like a Heavy Goblin Infantry soldier

Suffice to say, the Dwarves did not send another attack towards me for a VERY long time.

Petite Wolf's Avatar Semisalis

There's really only one I can remember, and it honestly only came to be due to my own over-confidence and bad positioning. Thankfully, I managed to take some screenshots at the end of the battle. I honestly don't remember specifics very well as I was so focused and in the moment that it all kind of blurred together afterwards, but this is how it went down as far as I can remember.

I was using the MOS submod and playing as Isengard. As is to be expected, battles with Rohan broke out quickly. This particular battle was one containing 3353 of my Uruks and Snaga, led by Lurtz, and just over 4000 of their Humans. Now, usually when seeing those numbers you'd think "Well that surely can't be all that difficult", and usually you'd be correct, except I made blunders on the campaign map and on the battle map that made it far harder than it had to be. I usually prefer to fight a defensive battle, and as such on the campaign map simply waited until they attacked me. This meant that they had time to completely surround my army with lots of smaller armies of theirs before finally engaging me. This was all well and good. I figured I'd be able to pick off smaller packs of them as they grew closer and it'd be an easy win.

With this in mind, when I spawned in I made sure to deploy my army near a side of the map I knew some of their men would be coming in. It turned out that their most substantial force would be coming in right near my army. This was a force of 1672 and was led by Egbert. Usually it'd be easy enough to destroy the army as it came in, but due to my bad positioning and the exact area of the map they came in, it was made a lot harder. You see, their army was split as it came in by a hill, which meant that some came in atop this hill and some came in below it.

The hill I'm talking of can be seen in this image (the image messed up a bit when I took it with FRAPS for some reason):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdoms 2013-04-28 19-54-00-99.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	289251

As you can probably tell from the image above, this was bad for multiple reasons. The first was that I didn't have time before they entered the battlefield to get up to the top of the hill, and the second was that I couldn't cut off the ones coming in below the hill without exposing my back to every other force they had coming down on me, especially the one coming in at the top of the hill. So what I did was set up my forces so that some of my Uruks were facing the edge of the map and awaiting the Rohirrim, while the rest were turned and awaiting the rest of their forces. By this point I'd judged it too late to move to a better location, and as such I was forced not only to fight multiple forces coming from multiple directions, but I was also fighting mainly uphill. But, due to my own blunders, there was nothing I could do by this point except try and make the best of it.

Here it where it begins getting fuzzy and I don't remember specifics, but this is what happened as far as I remember. My entire line was engaged and swamped with Humans. The fighting was tough, brutal and deadly. It even got to the point where I was forced to bring in my archers and skirmishers, and as I'm sure you all know, Snaga - especially archers and skirmishers - aren't the best melee combatants.

This went on for some time, me struggling to hold on and them doing everything they could to destroy me. At some point I decided "This battle is looking like it's lost, so I'm going to do everything I can to take as many of them with me as I can." So I kept on fighting. Eventually, it wound down. Thousands had died on either side and I was left with a pitiful force that involved 7 units, all with under 10 Uruks left. One group of Reavers, five groups of Uruk Raiders and Lurtz's Regiment. They had quite a bit more left than me, but they were mainly archers. High quality archers, but still archers. I think they also had a few units of a General's Bodyguard left as well, so I also had cavalry to contend with.

The rest of the battle involved me grouping the battered remnants of my forces and charging back and forth. First I threw all my forces at any force that they could get their hands on, which just so happened to be archers that outnumbered them. Thankfully they could fight far better than these archers and they routed them rather quickly. Once this was done, a game of cat and mouse began. I'd send my troops at their remaining archers - I can't remember what they were called, but they were high quality ones - while keeping an eye on the remnants of their cavalry. Whenever their cavalry tried to charge me I had to disengage from the archers and charge at the General's Bodyguard. Eventually I routed them and turned on the remaining archers.

When finally they routed and I was victorious, only twenty-five Uruks were left standing. Some 500 were on the ground injured and would manage to recover, but they were not the heroes of this fight. After all was said and done, this is what the Uruks left standing looked like:

Name:	Survivors.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	289246

Not at all a formidable force. You'll notice that slightly to the right of center, Lurtz stands alone. Every single Uruk in his regiment was slain during the battle, and by the end he was simply one Uruk among a handful.

This is what the field of battle looked like when the dust had settled:

Name:	kingdoms 2013-04-28 19-57-34-49.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	289248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdoms 2013-04-28 19-57-27-45.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	289249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdoms 2013-04-28 19-56-58-25.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	289250

In the end, it was a victory. Close, but a victory nonetheless:

Name:	kingdoms 2013-04-28 20-00-14-06.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	289247