Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more Ottoman turn lag mod

Default No more Ottoman turn lag mod

Hello, I did some experimenting in DB editor to see if I could reduce/eliminate the Ottoman turn lag because no matter how awesome Darthmod is my campaigns were constantly being stopped in their tracks by the incredibly poor game design and AI pathfinding problems that cause the lag and eventual freezes after about 60 turns or so and I could go no further, losing several campaigns in the process. I thought since I can't fix the game itself I would try to find a workaround and I did: Raising the upkeep costs for every unit in the game drastically reduces problems with turn lag because it limits how many units each country can recruit, meaning that the AI doesn't have huge numbers of armies to direct around and therefore making things much smoother.

I doubled the upkeep costs for all units except ships because they don't seem to cause problems and are expensive enough already and after several tests I've found that I get no turn lag from anyone after 60 or more turns, which was unheard of in my previous vanilla Darthmod campaigns. Things should keep their vanilla balance because all unit upkeep costs are simply doubled so it should only mean that there are fewer of each unit that can be supported by each country, although is the game by no means devoid of armies because each country can still recruit a good number of units, just not enough to kill the game engine.

Darth already responded to my idea and said that he didn't want to include it in the beta patches because he wants to have large numbers of armies to challenge the player and is trying his own fix for the turn lag in beta 14 so I thought I would upload my solution here for anyone who wants to use it if they're still having issues. This may become redundant if Darth's fix works but for anyone who wants to try, here it is.

To install, simply extract the .rar to your C:/.../Steam/SteamApps/common/empire total war/data folder where the rest of the .pack files are and then open up the Darthmod launcher, click on the Edit button and then click on User Scripts. Enter "No_Turn_Lag" (without quotes) into the user script window and click the Add button, then click update user script and you're done.

If anyone tries this please report back with how well this works and if any changes are needed. Even though I doubled the cost of all Ottoman units some are still pretty cheap so they may need to be raised even more to stop the lag.

Default Re: No more Ottoman turn lag mod

Quote Originally Posted by bob124 View Post
    Hello, I did some experimenting in DB editor to see if I could reduce/eliminate the Ottoman turn lag because no matter how awesome Darthmod is my campaigns were constantly being stopped in their tracks by the incredibly poor game design and AI pathfinding problems that cause the lag and eventual freezes after about 60 turns or so and I could go no further, losing several campaigns in the process. I thought since I can't fix the game itself I would try to find a workaround and I did: Raising the upkeep costs for every unit in the game drastically reduces problems with turn lag because it limits how many units each country can recruit, meaning that the AI doesn't have huge numbers of armies to direct around and therefore making things much smoother.

I doubled the upkeep costs for all units except ships because they don't seem to cause problems and are expensive enough already and after several tests I've found that I get no turn lag from anyone after 60 or more turns, which was unheard of in my previous vanilla Darthmod campaigns. Things should keep their vanilla balance because all unit upkeep costs are simply doubled so it should only mean that there are fewer of each unit that can be supported by each country, although is the game by no means devoid of armies because each country can still recruit a good number of units, just not enough to kill the game engine.

Darth already responded to my idea and said that he didn't want to include it in the beta patches because he wants to have large numbers of armies to challenge the player and is trying his own fix for the turn lag in beta 14 so I thought I would upload my solution here for anyone who wants to use it if they're still having issues. This may become redundant if Darth's fix works but for anyone who wants to try, here it is.

To install, simply extract the .rar to your C:/.../Steam/SteamApps/common/empire total war/data folder where the rest of the .pack files are and then open up the Darthmod launcher, click on the Edit button and then click on User Scripts. Enter "No_Turn_Lag" (without quotes) into the user script window and click the Add button, then click update user script and you're done.

If anyone tries this please report back with how well this works and if any changes are needed. Even though I doubled the cost of all Ottoman units some are still pretty cheap so they may need to be raised even more to stop the lag.
    This is awesome! I assure you sir, you are a hero .

Quick question...can this be used with an existing campaign? I'd shed the tears of a million people if it could not. I'm USA and have fended off wars with Great Britain, Spain, Mughals, etc. like a boss and if I lost the campaign I'd be sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Camborg80-Trey View Post
    This is awesome! I assure you sir, you are a hero .

Quick question...can this be used with an existing campaign? I'd shed the tears of a million people if it could not. I'm USA and have fended off wars with Great Britain, Spain, Mughals, etc. like a boss and if I lost the campaign I'd be sad.

Yeah it should be fine. I made the changes myself in the middle of a campaign and it worked, but just to be sure I'd make a save, install the .pack file the see if it works and if so play on and if it doesn't then you've got an old save to revert to so you don't lose your campaign.

please help, when I press the link and then select open to download, it comes up with an error saying "application not found". I am desperate for this to work, please respond back soon

Quote Originally Posted by bob124 View Post
    Yeah it should be fine. I made the changes myself in the middle of a campaign and it worked, but just to be sure I'd make a save, install the .pack file the see if it works and if so play on and if it doesn't then you've got an old save to revert to so you don't lose your campaign.
    No deal. I applied the script but I went bankrupt next turn and the ottomans remained dominant. They still took over thirty minutes on their turn. I suspect the fix would only be effective on a new campaign. I'm too far on my campaign to give up so as it stands I am stuck with the bug

Quote Originally Posted by Camborg80-Trey View Post
    No deal. I applied the script but I went bankrupt next turn and the ottomans remained dominant. They still took over thirty minutes on their turn. I suspect the fix would only be effective on a new campaign. I'm too far on my campaign to give up so as it stands I am stuck with the bug
    Sorry to hear that. The only problem with applying to a current campaign is that if the AI has already recruited too many units for the AI to handle then it's too late to do anything. If you do it after starting a new campaign I'd do it as early as possible to prevent the AI from going crazy and recruiting too many units.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteDutch View Post
    please help, when I press the link and then select open to download, it comes up with an error saying "application not found". I am desperate for this to work, please respond back soon
    I'm a bit confused here... exactly what did you do? All you should have to do to download the .rar file is left click on and it should download, then follow the install instructions. What web browser are you using?

Sorry, I am a prime example of someone who panics before actually seeing what is wrong, I was trying to open it as a torrent. On a far more important side note, it works, I cant thank you enough mate, saved my 89 year UP campaign, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteDutch View Post
    Sorry, I am a prime example of someone who panics before actually seeing what is wrong, I was trying to open it as a torrent. On a far more important side note, it works, I cant thank you enough mate, saved my 89 year UP campaign, appreciate it.
    That's great to hear, although I'm surprised it worked that late into a campaign. Doesn't matter as long as you're having fun!

Icon5 Re: No more Ottoman turn lag mod

I suppose that's working... anyhow nice job, but let me ask u is it going with a another mod(ex.EOD)?

Quote Originally Posted by D0MiNuS View Post
    I suppose that's working... anyhow nice job, but let me ask u is it going with a another mod(ex.EOD)?
    I don't understand what "going with another mod" means. Are you talking about compatibility? If so all this mod does is change unit upkeep values so it shouldn't conflict with anything else as long as you load it after any other mod that may change upkeep costs.

Thanks for the Mod!

/edited
    Last edited by TheClueless; May 20, 2013 at 03:15 AM.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

You do not have to double the cost of units, all you have to do is change two lines in the AI Personality Junctions tables: Basic_Spending_Bias. Raise the construction bias and lower the army recruitment bias and balance them to be even. The original setting had the Ottomans spend most of their money on armies-that is why you have army spam.

Is it only the AI cost that's doubled? I was freezing on Ottomans and installed this and it completed a turn, So that was a nice suprise. But my units seem to be the same price, Running with another mod that alters prices, CJA's Difficulty enhancer. Is the double price thing all you did?

xcorps's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    You do not have to double the cost of units, all you have to do is change two lines in the AI Personality Junctions tables: Basic_Spending_Bias. Raise the construction bias and lower the army recruitment bias and balance them to be even. The original setting had the Ottomans spend most of their money on armies-that is why you have army spam.
    Is there anyone that has actually done this to make it work? I can't find anything but this thread. DME 8.0 Plat. 5 minute Otto lag. I'm not opposed to installing the mod in the OP, but if I can get something that doesn't change unit upkeep, I'd rather do that.
    "Every idea is an incitement. It offers itself for belief and if believed it is acted on unless some other belief outweighs it or some failure of energy stifles the movement at its birth. The only difference between the expression of an opinion and an incitement in the narrower sense is the speaker's enthusiasm for the result. Eloquence may set fire to reason." -Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by xcorps View Post
    Is there anyone that has actually done this to make it work? I can't find anything but this thread. DME 8.0 Plat. 5 minute Otto lag. I'm not opposed to installing the mod in the OP, but if I can get something that doesn't change unit upkeep, I'd rather do that.
    Yeah this would be nice. Just looking to start a new campaign. With this mod I already start out loosing money on turn one =/

Two years later.. is this still available? Lag is killing me. Waiting almost 10 minutes a turn.

I don't think it could ever be eradicated, some mods move the capital to ankra, no ide if that helps thou.

I know its a bit rubbish to Nerf the Ottomans but what about only increasing there unit costs?

Is this mod still available? I can't find the download link anywhere on the page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast