Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Goal: Get Wedge For Infantry

Andytheplatypus's Avatar Domesticus

Default New Goal: Get Wedge For Infantry

Anyone have any ideas? Ive tried including it as a cav would have it but it doesnt work. Has to be tied somehow to cav title some how.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: New Goal: Get Wedge For Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    Anyone have any ideas? Ive tried including it as a cav would have it but it doesnt work. Has to be tied somehow to cav title some how.
    What? Are you sure?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

What advantage would wedge give for infantry anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    What? Are you sure?
    Well I messsed with it before but not very much. Im sure if you give infantry wedge attribute without doing anything else it doesnt work.

I dont know what advantage it would give yet. Has to work better than cavalry

I haven't tried, but I don't think it will work better than cavalry because infantry won't have enough mass to push through other infantry and break the enemy ranks.

I removed Wedge from every mod because it doesn't work well and makes the AI's cavalry less of a threat.

Wedge for infantry is useless IMO it wont work well as kt said, and i would be much happier if i would have the rally option available for my infantry if i am playing with a captain led army.

I agree that they wont be able to cut through other units like they are supposed to but at least the general would be in the center of the unit while in a formation that can move forward.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andytheplatypus View Post
    I agree that they wont be able to cut through other units like they are supposed to but at least the general would be in the center of the unit while in a formation that can move forward.
    add them schiltrom instead

it's better for defending your general

Quote Originally Posted by Troll King View Post
    add them schiltrom instead

it's better for defending your general
    Except they cant move in formation.

Wedge could work for infantry, not attacking but defending. Pikes and spear units could benefit while other infantry flanks. It would take longer for infantry to engulf a wedge pike unit.

You do have the "horn" button available if you have a captain-led army. It overrides Phalanx, but not others. Just make sure the proper unit is the first one in the army tab on the campaign map.

Wedge is actually very usefull for cavalry, but only if its brawler cavalry or if enemy cavalry got much better charge. Withe wedge less of your units are gonna get charged and it seems that you got more of your man fighting single enemy at any time. Just try 1v1 grassy plain with AP cavalry such as Scholarii or Quapuluktu vs Lancers/Gendarmes and you will see that you will have less loses with wedge than with normal formation. About infantry usefullness, I am not certain.

the reason why you can use wedge with cavalry is because of the weight of the attackers. Infantry wedges shouldn't drive through infantry formations because they have to fight the units they meet, instead of using shear weight and force generated by the charge. It would just mean your wedge would splat against the wall of shields they go at
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

There seems to be some confusion about the purpose of this thread. I want to test it for myself after I get it working for infantry. I understand the historical aspects of it. I just wanted some help and ideas to get it working. There sure are a lot of naysayers here.

When you add wedge to infantry there is no ability button to activate it. Can someone tell me where abilities are located?

ah, so the point of the thread is something that should be discussed in modding-help/guides/resources?
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrda78 View Post
    Well maybe if there was a thread instructing people on how to mod there would be more modders.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder44 View Post
    ah, so the point of the thread is something that should be discussed in modding-help/guides/resources?
    Haha probably but I appreciate the opinion of the modders here.

Well, cavalry doesn't drive through infantry when in a wedge either. The first three guys hit the enemy and the whole unit stops due to poorly coded mechanics.

I don't know what you mean by "where abilities are located". If you add "phalanx" to a unit in the EDU, the game will automatically give it a Spear Wall button in battles. You don't have to change anything else.

When you gave a unit "wedge", did you change the tag from "infantry" to "cavalry"? Also do a similar test with archers, but give them the Cantabrian Circle. If these things still don't work, there's probably a hardcoded rule at work, and it is impossible to transfer some abilities from cavalry to infantry. Similarly, I don't imagine a cavalry unit would be able to do Shield Wall just by having its tag switched to "infantry".

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Well, cavalry doesn't drive through infantry when in a wedge either. The first three guys hit the enemy and the whole unit stops due to poorly coded mechanics.

I don't know what you mean by "where abilities are located". If you add "phalanx" to a unit in the EDU, the game will automatically give it a Spear Wall button in battles. You don't have to change anything else.

When you gave a unit "wedge", did you change the tag from "infantry" to "cavalry"? Also do a similar test with archers, but give them the Cantabrian Circle. If these things still don't work, there's probably a hardcoded rule at work, and it is impossible to transfer some abilities from cavalry to infantry. Similarly, I don't imagine a cavalry unit would be able to do Shield Wall just by having its tag switched to "infantry".
    Somewhere in the game there is a file for abilities.

Yes tried giving infantry cavalry tag. Crashes

Gave shield wall to cavalry. Its selectable but crashes the game when selected. Guess it squishes them together too much

It might work with changing formation spacing etc but not sure what values would have a chance of working and my bet is probably hardcoded anyway.

Where is this abilities file, and are you sure it's not just for Hero Abilities?

Oh, reread, you were asking where it is.

I think I remember seeing something recently, I'll have a look.

TA has a file called descr_hero_abilities in the "data" folder.
    Last edited by k/t; January 26, 2013 at 01:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast