View Poll Results: Do you approve of SEGA's acquisition of Relic off THQ?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I approve

87 60.00%
  • Noooo!

20 13.79%
  • Hmm, not so sure ....

38 26.21%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Approve or disapprove?? THQ's 'Relic' set to bought by SEGA ... what does this mean for the future of Total War after Rome 2?

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Approve or disapprove?? THQ's 'Relic' set to bought by SEGA ... what does this mean for the future of Total War after Rome 2?

wait a sec
    then COH2 belong to?
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Approve or disapprove?? THQ's 'Relic' set to bought by SEGA ... what does this mean for the future of Total War after Rome 2?

Quote Originally Posted by The-Monetary View Post
    Warhammer or Company of Heroes would become a great games under the management of CA.
    Not CA goddamnit SEGA

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

magpie's Avatar Artifex

I suppose Sega are looking to the future.
    CA will need some diverse sources of revenue at some time with their big studio expansion.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

As long as they make Company of heroes 2 awesome, then its great!
    Get to the trireme!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Fisher View Post
    As long as they make Company of heroes 2 awesome, then its great!
    As far as I go with the alpha then the game is almost the same as COH 1 and the graphic suck

A WW2 style total war game?....

Not likely, but just speculating.

SEGA own numerous development studios, each of which operate independently on their own projects, so I'm not sure why anyone would believe this will have any impact on CA or the Total War franchise. They also own Sports Interactive - do people believe CA will be producing a Total War: Football Manager? Or a Total War: Sonic?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    can I copyright those?

But do I approve? Well, as others have said, I'd rather SEGA than say, EA, which has a nasty habit of purchasing good studios and dismantling them piece by piece until only a withered husk remains. From what I've seen, SEGA allows a greater degree of developmental freedom, not to mention financial investment and studio expansion.

With Total War, Football Manager, and now Relic with Company of Heroes, SEGA seem to be pushing hard in the PC exclusive market. Not to mention deals with Valve for such things as TF2 characters in the upcoming PC release of the Sonic racing game. Oh, and pretty decent PC ports / HD remakes of console classics.

What I really hope for with this deal is the return of the Homeworld series, although I'm not sure who exactly controls the rights to that series now, or even if the original development team still exists within Relic. I have my original Homeworld box right on my shelf next to my Shogun 1 - I'd love to see it make a return.

Rijul.J.Ballal's Avatar Domesticus

No effect on TW i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by rijul 2222 View Post
    No effect on TW i guess...
    please note that i didn't say anything about CA Its just what SEGA are doing in general... ie buying a bigger chunk of the exclusive pc market as mentioned before

Well I am worried atm in re coh2 as it's up there in my top 3. So far it doesnt seem to be affected.

What does it mean in re relic + sega? Time will tell.

So far I am not convinced in re CA+Sega, I think they cut corners and perhaps lack the funds or dont want to spend enough on better engines for example.

Sorry to say I rate EA/Ubisoft and others above Sega/CA, you might not like origin or ubisofts drm policy(which has changed now i think) but i dont think you can argue with the quality of the product. that's a matter of taste ofc...(i love fifa/asscreed3/farcry3 etc).
    Last edited by Totalheadache; January 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Adreno's Avatar Senator

Sorry to say I rate EA/Ubisoft and others above Sega/CA, you might not like origin or ubisofts drm policy(which has changed now i think) but i dont think you can argue with the quality of the product. that's a matter of taste ofc...(i love fifa/asscreed3/farcry3 etc).
    now youre just trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Adreno View Post
    now youre just trolling
    why is that trolling?

i am entitled to my opinion thank you very much and I couldnt care less if some/you disagree.

mp84's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by vietanh797 View Post
    wait a sec
    then COH2 belong to?
    COH2 still belongs to Relic, nothing is changing on that front.

But as many has mentioned overall nothing will probably happen on CA's front. In fact the more likely scenario could be Relic making a gaming using CA's engine in the future, since that could be possible since they are both own by Sega now.

The interesting thing about Relic, is it's another RTS developer like CA, thus unlike Sports Interactive which is all about sports, there could be some cross-communication between CA and Relic perhaps, but only time will tell about that.

Relic were/are a top notch dev house, and were resposnsible for some of my favourite games ever. Not sure how many of the original devs are there still, but they may still be good. certainly helped keep THQ afloat longer than if they weren't with them. should be good for SEGA.

COH2 out soon

It's about as good as it could have been, at least they didn't go to EA/Actiblizz or Ubisoft (though i feel Ubisoft are getting better on the DRM side of things).

Considering Relic is more involved in modern military strategy and CA is more into classical-industrial history, I wonder if we might actually see a Vicky>WW1 TW game in collaboration with Relic. This would be post Rome 2 & whatever the Warhammer game is of course, although we still don't know when exactly they plan to make use of that IP.

Dodanodo's Avatar Tiro

I'm quite content with SEGA buying Relic. from what I've seen, SEGA takes descent care of exsisting franchises like TW and Alien. I'm sure Relic will be fine.

As for CA, in addition to the things mentioned before, like cross-communication and Relic using TW's engine, I would like to add one more thing. Seeing as SEGA already has relations with GW, I think it hopefull that Relic will be able to continue the production of W40k games. Thus, it might be concivable at one point in the future either Relic or CA will make a W40k rts based on the TW engine. that could be cool.

Credit to Noif the Bodemloze for the signature.

ashbery76's Avatar Biarchus

Sega will force Totalwar games to have resource gathering as part of the tactical battles.

Personally as a Alpha tester COH2 I not really want to play it after COH2 come out
    Overpower USSR and a stupid engine where your Elephant fail to hit a big anti tank gun that like 50m away from it.
    Tell me the is that ? a tank with a gun that can hit target 2-3 km away in history fail to hit a station target in front of it 50m?
    Last edited by vietanh797; January 24, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by vietanh797 View Post
    Personally as a Alpha tester COH2 I not really want to play it after COH2 come out
    Overpower USSR and a stupid engine where your Elephant fail to hit a big anti tank gun that like 50m away from it.
    Tell me the is that ? a tank with a gun that can hit target 2-3 km away in history fail to hit a station target in front of it 50m?
    stress can do a lot to a gunner's aim. and isnt that your job to report those things, and second off isnt that just a part of the game, that unit can miss, just like in real life.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by VarrKhaitan View Post
    stress can do a lot to a gunner's aim. and isnt that your job to report those things, and second off isnt that just a part of the game, that unit can miss, just like in real life.
    3 shoots 3 miss
    reason?
    Anti tank gun is for anti tank so they will hit you and you can't hit them since you are a tank

in the end my Ferdinand was shoot till dead by a 7.5cm anti tank gun which in real life have no chance to pen a Ferdinand front armor
    Last edited by vietanh797; January 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast