Thread: Trotskyite mod for Hearts of Iron 3

Default Trotskyite mod for Hearts of Iron 3

Having played HOI3 many times as all factions I wondered if it might shake things up by making an alternate history mod where Leon Trotsky rather than Joseph Stalin rose to power following Lenin's death.

This would greatly change the trajectory of the war I believe, allowing the USSR to possibly become the aggressor, the Anti-Comintern pact would be given much greater significance, and a much more likelier far eastern front where the USSR may intervene in China (or the Japanese might preemptively strike at them to prevent this).

What would the Spanish Civil War look like?
    Would Trotsky and his followers focus on coups and spreading revolution in the years prior to the war?

Most importantly where do the allies sit? Maybe this now becomes a decision the player or AI will have to make.

There is a possibility of a three sided war? Or at the very least it may be likelier that someone's tanks keep rolling after Berlin falls.

I've started modding in ministers, but this is a tough one for me as no one in the Left Opposition seemed to have a great deal of experience governing.

I was thinking Trotsky as both Head of State/Head of Government
    Trotsky as an option for Armament and Army as well?
    Adolph Joffe as foreign minister? (head of Soviet delegation at Brest-Litovsk)

Is Stalin alive? Would there be more ministers available from other leftist parties? Who might be included if Stalin was not in power?

There is a lot to consider, and I'm far from an expert on early Soviet history, I just think it would make for a very interesting mod and different take on a game that for the most part seems serviced mainly with a focus on Nazi Germany.

TheBromgrev's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Trotskyite mod for Hearts of Iron 3

You might find this abandoned HPP AAR to be helpful when it comes to ideas. The AAR talks about exactly what you're looking into, so you might be interested in the author's take on the subject. The author didn't make it to the gameplay parts, but spent most of his time going over the point of divergence and setting up the scenario.
    Non-TW AAR: Kantai Kessen - Empire of Japan [HOI3 with HPP mod] - last updated April 16, 2013

Default Re: Trotskyite mod for Hearts of Iron 3

If you have any questions about early soviet history PM me as I specialize in 1914-1945 history