Page 265 of 267 FirstFirst ... 165215240255256257258259260261262263264265266267 LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,300 of 5337

Thread: The Honorable Club of Role Playing Gentlemen and Ladies of the Center Total war

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Honorable Club of Role Playing Gentlemen and Ladies of the Center Total war

A roleplay based on Total War is an intriguing concept to me.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Honorable Club of Role Playing Gentlemen and Ladies of the Center Total war

How do you reckon that'd play out?
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Pretty sure you guys are thinking of hotseats or Alliance games. We don't really play as factions, only as people. By the way, we're on a bit of a hiatus but we might have something coming up soon (gandy hurry up)
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Hotseats we know of even RP-Hotseats. I believe Commodus is referencing your standard RPG's but in the setting of a TW-game
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Well we’ve done games previously set in the medieval and roman periods (same settings as Medieval and Rome Total War, I guess), but they aren’t actually based on the events of a save game - that practice died out before I was even on the site I think the players had problem with corrupted saves and just didn’t like the lack of flexibility of relying on the game to drive the RP, so it was just easier to stop using save games entirely.

So, I suppose it is a question of what exactly do you mean by a game being ‘based off’ total war.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    Pretty sure you guys are thinking of hotseats or Alliance games. We don't really play as factions, only as people. By the way, we're on a bit of a hiatus but we might have something coming up soon (gandy hurry up)
    Not necessarily. Hotseats (even the so called roleplay ones, which most of the time are merely a roleplay overlay) are too gameplay centric and alliance is not in my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Hotseats we know of even RP-Hotseats. I believe Commodus is referencing your standard RPG's but in the setting of a TW-game
    Another 'not quite', though a little bit closer. What I have in mind is a hybridization of all systems seen here, plus another thing. More in the response to the last quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    Well we’ve done games previously set in the medieval and roman periods (same settings as Medieval and Rome Total War, I guess), but they aren’t actually based on the events of a save game - that practice died out before I was even on the site I think the players had problem with corrupted saves and just didn’t like the lack of flexibility of relying on the game to drive the RP, so it was just easier to stop using save games entirely.

So, I suppose it is a question of what exactly do you mean by a game being ‘based off’ total war.
    The closest. So, here's what I mean. This is all purely brainstorming and a random concept I'm not even sure I'd be willing to take on with high interest and the like.
    - RPG systems would be inapplicable. I largely just bring the idea up here because this is as close as it gets, even if you can make a wide gap between Roleplay and RPG in its game sense, unless RPG is used in a more literal sense and not with the system/gameplay connotations that it implies.
    - Yes, a context built from a total war game would apply. In this preliminary idea, I do mean the practice that died before you joined. Corrupted saves I believe to be an error on the user side most of the time, and in the rest of those instances avoidable with good backups and a stable platform in the first place. The save would define the environment. The environment would be unique because as it happens, the environment was constructed from 200-1000 turns of pure AI activity. Thus, a random map, a random context, and a plethora of characters so odd and so random that there is something to go off.
    - Once that save is created, a roleplay can be formed by picking a faction (or multiple) and expanding upon a scenario. Political tension? A long lasting war? A princess rescue? A great battle in the making? Game of Thrones style? The possibilities are endless. I can give you 20+ scenarios from one such map in the grand campaign if it would inspire some form of creativity.
    - The save would define map, context, even history based on what (Medieval 2, presumably, but possibly another game if done differently) the 'game' has assembled with the oddities of its AI. The roleplay would be to see those events to conclusion. A GM would exist to move the pieces on the board as necessary, abstract elements of the board to overcome restrictions of a game platform, or even say "we're ignoring this, here's how it works".

In the most 'game' connected scenario, this could result in a political intrigue hotseat, but one based on collaborative storytelling, the advancement of an intriguing plot, rhyme and reason to every movement, all as compared to a straight up competitive environment dependent on edging the limits of an aging game. It would be the slowest functional hotseat in existence. In the most freeform scenario, it would be a sliver of the world as it exists in the save, which is then given a scenario from which a purely character focused roleplay can develop.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Just popping in to say "hi". I've played and participated in many games here since at least 2011...but somehow missed this thread. Then I had a sudden rise in interest for tabletop RPGs, remembered this forum and came back.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

The best way to summarize how the RPG section here works is to understand that we are just like any other "play-by-post" roleplaying group on any other forum, except we're all on TWC so at least most of us (if not all of us) also have a taste for politics and military history alongside roleplaying. This eventually evolved into us mostly making our own rules after we dropped the actual TW connection (game saves etc, deciding battles with multiplayer), usually making each player character's a major politician or elite member of society (so lords in feudal societies, senators in Roma, etc). It's been around a decade since we've used any part of a TW game with our games. We're roleplayers that live on TWC, but we're not "TW roleplayers."

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    snip
    Could be interesting, but if there isn't anyone to direct it then sadly I can't see it taking off.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Just popping in to say "hi". I've played and participated in many games here since at least 2011...but somehow missed this thread. Then I had a sudden rise in interest for tabletop RPGs, remembered this forum and came back.
    Hey, Maximus. We're in stasis, but not quite dead yet. Hopefully we'll have a game up and running soon.

Most of our activity is currently in the off-site discord chat, which I can invite you both to join if you're interested.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; November 21, 2018 at 03:04 PM.

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

Hi folks, long time no see, Vortigern have expressed interest in role-playing, so I've send him here. I'm comfortable in the knowledge that you'll take good care of him!

Vortigern's Avatar Foederatus

Ummm... that's my queue, right? I say "hi" and wave carelessly, right?

Oh hi, guys. Monsieur Narf was kind enough to tell me about your roleplaying forum here.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Welcome Vortigern! Welcome to our community!
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Welcome aboard, Vortigern Things are fairly quiet right now as we approach the holidays, but we do have a single-thread game currently ongoing and a larger game in the works.

Citizen

If you desire, you can join our community's discord server. Message myself, Barry Goldwater, Gandalfus, General Brewster or Bastard Feudalism for an invite!

Thank ya all. I will check them all out shortly. Gotta take my time to accustom myself with your style of RPing, since it's been quite awhile from my last RP session, years really.

What's a discord server?

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Discord is an instant message and voice chat platform. It's free to download and fairly easy to use. The community mostly hangs out on there right now since it makes communication much easier.

I'll make sure to check that out. Seems much like TeamSpeak.

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

I have returned after all these years

Anything new happen?
    Low speed, High Drag

Citizen

Haven't really missed much besides our medieval England settings; three of which involved the War of the Roses era and a fourth, the most recent, that involved Norman Invasion which eventually turned into Neo-Saxon Renaissance (with a hint of Norman) under the revived House of Wessex. We are working on another setting involving Ancient Greece (colonizing Massalia) but waiting out the remainder of the year before moving forward with that and/or considering new settings.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Of course you missed the triumph of the noble English Badgers.