Thread: The Honorable Club of Role Playing Gentlemen and Ladies of the Center Total war

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: The Honorable Club of Role Playing Gentlemen and Ladies of the Center Total war

I do remember most of this stuff. I believe the group is still available btw, it has all the information there.
    After some talk with Sotha, we have come up with three canon factions that could exist in our setting.
    Canon Factions
    1. The Brotherhood of Steel: They would have a small presence and most likely have forward bases that dotted the northern regions (probably around Baton Rouge) of the former state of Louisiana since it would be near their Midwestern holdings. Reason being, they could be tracking mutants that escaped from St. Louis back in 2197. They could also be scouting for possible Old World technology that still exists, using the river as a means of transport. It is common knowledge that they would have a presence up in the northern parts near their Midwestern holdings.

Background story for the Brotherhood
    "The Brotherhood of Steel is a well-known organization that seeks out lost technology of the Old World, preserves it and even is said to worship it. The Brotherhood has a strong presence in the Midwest, centered around the area known as Chicago where a chapter has set up their own nation, if you could call it as such. In the year 2197, a massive Super Mutant invasion hit the city of St. Louis which was located within the Midwestern territory of the Brotherhood of Steel. Though the mutants were repulsed, the Midwestern chapter took a lot of losses. Nearly a hundred years later, the Brotherhood of Steel in the Midwest has regained some of its strength, stretching its authority into the Great Plains. Now, almost recovered from the wounds of St. Louis, the Elder has decided to send forces south, along the Mississippi in hopes of finding the Super Mutant remnants and new technology. This is when they came across the city of Baton Rouge and began to turn it into one of their forward outposts. Mutant remnants have been found in the area of northern Louisiana as well as stashes of lost technology. They remain neutral in the eyes of the Creoles and the Confederation, but have tenuous, if not sometimes hostile, relations with the Legion to the West and the uncivilized Cajuns to the South."

2. The Enclave: Again, a small and rather unknown presence in the area. For those who don't know this, an Enclave remnant appears in New Vegas and it states in the lore that those who were not hunted down in the Mojave were either integrated into the NCR or traveled East. In Fallout tactics, there was a small Enclave outpost in the area of Chicago as well. There is the existence of Sigma Squads, 5 - 6 member crews of highly trained and the most elite members of the Enclave. Outposts of the Enclave are scattered at best and don't operate together, but are left to the local area in which they operate in. Sotha mentioned a Neo-Confederate faction that was rising in place as an NCR-like nation, I can see there being local Enclave agents that have infiltrated the rising political structure in hopes of making it one of many successor states to the United States. At best, the Enclave is not known to be operating in the area. It would not be common knowledge, but words spoken by lunatics and beggars.

Background story for the Enclave
    "The Enclave, a name that is both feared and spat upon within the present and post-nuclear world. This highly advanced and secret government organization was the center of the Old World's power in America. It was the faction that made Presidents in this new world and acted as secret enforcers of the Old World democracy. While the Enclave prides itself in its ideals, it has a dark side to its history. This agency aided in the usage of a virus that created the Super Mutants, using them as slaves to work for the Enclave. After the events at Raven Rock in 2277, the agency fell into shadows and vanished, scattered like the wind across the former country of America. The organization has continued to exist within isolated outposts, scattered across the American continent, working in secret and nursing its wounds. Its power rested within the Sigma Squads, the Enclave's most elite and highly specialized troops which operated in small numbers, but were highly efficient. Hope to came to them in two forms; the Confederacy of Twenty-One Republics and New Orleans.

To this day, nobody in either faction knows of the Enclave's involvement, but they were ever present among its founding fathers. Within the Confederacy, the Enclave was said to left a treasure trove of weapons and gear for the Heartland Republics to use in order to forge their Confederacy. It is even rumored that its founding President, Jackson, had received an unknown message stating: 'In Atlanta, you will find hope. In Atlanta, you will find unity. In Atlanta, you will forge a nation.' The Enclave continued to aid in the development of the Confederacy from within the shadows, such as the content between the Tennessee Valley Alliance and the Confederacy as well as the conquest and integration of the Six Peripherals.

Involving the government of New Orleans, it is once more not known that the Enclave was involved. Though it is not known, King Louis, using rather shady contacts, managed to gain the support and technology of the Enclave. Louis was a smart man however and not easily manipulated, for he used the Enclave to his own gains and designs, not their agendas. Their principles and ideals inspired the unity of New Orleans under its own government. The technology granted to Louis ensured a quick and successful unification as well as a rising and strong nation. However, these friendly ties between Louis and the Enclave would not last. When Louis crowned himself King and made a monarchy out of this nation, the Enclave slowly distanced themselves and vanished once more. They felt that another Raven Rock was going to happen when various operatives suddenly vanished or defected to Louis' side. Ex-agents broke all ties with the Enclave, burned their past records, forged new ones and mingled within the rising nation out of New Orleans.

The Enclave has hidden outposts throughout Louisiana, serving as a secret vanguard for the Confederacy and a deterrent towards any hostiles. The organization prides itself in arranging the conditions for which the Confederation and New Orleans came into contact and began fostering cordial relations. Though the Enclave's power is slowly regrowing through these two successes, it remains hidden from view, knowing it is being hunted by all despite what good they try to do. Yet the darkness of their past and within their hearts cannot change what they had done in the past. It is unknown where the Enclave is nor what their plans for the future to come."

3. Caesar's Legion: Again, like the two before, a rather small presence in the very far western reaches of the former state of Louisiana. Though rumors of men marching under the banner of a golden bull have been known by travellers, the folk of the area do not know whether they are true or not. The Legion, due to its rapid conquest in the past thirty years and continued expansion east under the charismatic and authoritative Caesar and his legate, Lanius, the Monster of the East, small forward camps have been propped up in the far western reaches of the area. As quoted from the lore, Caesar saw 'Carthage' in the NCR, thus he could believably see the swampy and forested region of Louisiana as his 'Gaul,' a vast untamed land of forests and swamps. The camps serve as scouting bases where the Legion searches for resources to use in their conquests and possible slaves they can grab as well. Again, their presence is small, but only rumored to be about to the West.

Background story for the Legion
    "The Legion moved into Texas from the North and New Mexico, encountering an isolated republic centered around the more so intacted city of Houston. A war began as the Legion fought its way into and through the city. The fighting proved to be overwhelming for the Republic due to the Legion's vast manpower and disciplined ranks. Facing near annihilation, the remnants of the Republic were forced to flee south for the cities of Galveston and Corpus Christi where they set up successor nations. With the tribes defeated, conquered and enslaved around Houston, the Legion left an armed presence in the area and moved further East towards Louisiana. Forward bases were established in the far western reaches of the newly founded territory that was shrouded in mists, swamps and forest. Scouting was initiated, but full-fledged conquest was held off due to the untamed nature of this newly founded land. Tensions began to rise in their newly conquered Texans territories, thus the bulk of the Legion's forces fell back towards Houston to deal with the troubles and ensure their grip over the land."

Non-​Canon Factions
    1. The Confederation of the Twenty-One Republics, commonly known as the Confederacy.

The Confederacy is an alliance of semi-autonomous settlements in the Southern wastelands of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, southern South Carolina, and northern Florida, who came together originally as 15 city-states and tribes in Alabama, Miss., and Georgia, for the 'greater good' of protecting each other.
    Eventually, the 15 Heartland Republics decided to enlarge and centralize the Confederacy, to bring light and liberty to the wasteland, and so spread into Florida and South Carolina and Tennesse, adding 6 Peripheral Republics to the Confederacy by force, and bring the Tennessee Valley Alliance into territory status under the Confederacy.
    The Tennesse Valley Alliance (or TVA) was an alliance of dams and towns in the Tennesse Valley, now an ally of the Confederacy, who labels the area as the "TVA Territory" which provides enormous electricity from its many mines and dams to various parts of the wasteland.
    The Confederacy considers its current capital in a rebuilt strip of the ancient city of Atlanta, known as the Republic of 'Atlanta' (wip name).

The Confederacy has long been acquainted with the local factions of Louisiana, especially the Creoles of New Orleans, but only now have they begun to press the Creoles and other groups to join the Confederacy.
    They are quite cordial with the Creoles, but not so accommodating with the less civilized groups. Either way, it's only a matter of time before the small societies of Louisiana fall under the Confederation's grip.

Background story for the Confederation
    "WIP"

2. The Creoles Cantons, or name to be updated
    Information so far: Centered in New Orleans, ruled by third King, Charles or Charlie, government is a constitutional Monarchy
    Monarchs: Louis I, Louis II and Charles I (Charlie)

Background story for the Creoles
    "WIP"

3. Cajuns
    Information so far: Collective tribes or parishes of people who live in the surrounding woods and swamps; hostile isolationists and believed to have encountered the Legion

Background story for the Cajuns
    "WIP"

Suggestions for other canon factions? Agree/Disagree? Speak your mind folks!
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: The Honorable Club of Role Playing Gentlemen and Ladies of the Center Total war

I want to avoid most of that this time.
    Leave more of it to player imagination & in-game description.

Here:
    It is the year 2281.

More than two centuries after the Great War, pathways leading into the ruins of the city known as New Orleans ("N'oluns") have become more traversable.
    The sea and swamp has receded significantly in the last decade around the old city, and southern Louisiana becomes less isolated from its many different parts.
    Political change stirs under the gas-lit lamp-posts of Bourbon street, with the "lords" of post-apocalyptic New Orleans pushing out the Brotherhood of Steel from the city and declaring the region a kingdom. Their new leaders, the Louies, have fortified Bourbon, the "civilized area" around the old French Quarter, and taken in many people to the growing polity. Jazz, superstition, dark nights, gas-lamps, colonial architecture, and nightlife are what makes Bourbon.

The swamp-lands to the west and south of N'Orleans are as foul and dark as ever, but new evils seem to lurk and rumors are abound as ever.
    Horrifying tales of a crocodilian monster spread across the area, and violent cults and river-gangs seem to be ever more prevalent.

This is Louisiana, descended from Old Louisiana, French and colonial.
    Superstition rules the dark, wet land in this post-apocalyptic future.
    Catholicism, Louisianan Voodoo, and crocodiles.

Welcome to our home, so cozy and comfortable. Enjoy your stay.
    Oh, and stay away from the water, dear.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; October 24, 2014 at 11:24 PM.

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

wassup fellas,

I dont have class till 4 and my friends were down from home so I partied on a sunday night...........never again
    Low speed, High Drag

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    And BF, English civil war looks mildly interesting, but whjy dont we dive into the whole 30 years war going on in the continent. Theres just so much more interesting thing going on then the civil war if people are willing to get past their Anglo-fixation for RPGs past 1000 A.D.

IDK, most of my life people talked about how awesome England was, but I went there for a month and I was thoroughly underwhelmed
    Sometimes I am so tempted to do this..
    EU4 doesn't help. I've been playing Saxony in the new Art of War DLC, and recently (1513 AD, beginning of Reformation) invaded Protestant Bohemia to aid their Catholic peasants and of course make the good Catholic Saxon Friedrich III von Wettin the new, proper King of Bohemia.
    Very 30 Years War-like there. Bohemia was the juicy crown that both sides wanted.

But I know that it would just be a terrible alliance game or something. It just wouldn't work.

Damn, all of these DLCs and expanions for EU IV look good, but I dont have money to get them and it feels like im being nicked and dimed by Paradox.

In other news, my 6'8 325 pound football player little brother and 3 of his friends came down for holloween and partied and stayed at my apartment, and now it looks like it was sacked by a mongol horde
    Low speed, High Drag

I wonder if there's a way to make a semi-colonial survivalism (think: being thrown into a wilderness/forest with some supplies and that's it) in RPG format and make it actually fun.

If so, I'd do TES in Ravenrock, Solstheim.

"This is the last stop. The last chance.
    You may be a criminal who's got no other way out of a cell.
    You may be an Legionary veteran who's been cheated of his land grant.
    You may be a Dunmer outcast who seeks to escape the nightmares of the Tribunal system.

Tamriel is a complicated place.
    The Empire declines ever so slowly, and there's no more land to give out.

The East Empire Trading Company welcomes you.
    Welcome to Solstheim, the last untouched land in this world, the last stop for you, the last chance."

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

I'd be up for it.

Though at what point in the time line is important. Around Skyrim era Morrowind is independent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

It would have to be Morrowind times, being right before Oblivion.
    That's when Ravenrock is being founded by the East Empire Trading Company and the fort is built.

It's Morrowind's Solstheim, not Skyrim's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Sometimes I am so tempted to do this..
    EU4 doesn't help. I've been playing Saxony in the new Art of War DLC, and recently (1513 AD, beginning of Reformation) invaded Protestant Bohemia to aid their Catholic peasants and of course make the good Catholic Saxon Friedrich III von Wettin the new, proper King of Bohemia.
    Very 30 Years War-like there. Bohemia was the juicy crown that both sides wanted.

But I know that it would just be a terrible alliance game or something. It just wouldn't work.
    You do know that the best forum game I ever played was a historically accurate, almost sim like Alliances or RTD game (i forget which) that was based on the 30 years war. I was actually Austria for awhile and it was really interesting
    Low speed, High Drag

@BF

Morrowind eh? hmmm. It could be interesting, the first on the ground, finding the Skaal and the ruins of Dragon worshipers gone by...

And lets not forget. Were Bears.

Im in.

Its just an idea. I've got way too many things going on right now.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Gonna just throw this up. A new trademark game has been registered in Germany under the name "Fallout: Shadow of Boston." Trademark owner is Bethesda Softworks LLC in Rockville, USA.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...ource=facebook

Hopefully Bethesda makes some statement soon.

Edit: Bethesda responded fast and called it a hoax.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 05, 2014 at 02:25 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Bethesda making another Fallout is like Valve making anything with the number 3 in it.

Its all Hoaxes, if they ever announced a new one it would be in a huge way.

Might anyone remember this idea from a while back?

(Disclaimer before I continue: Do not kick, hit, or yell at me. I'm just talking here.
    And no, Fallout is not dead, dammit.)

Fictional world.
    We are a nomadic/semi-nomadic tribe, or at least tribal group that would have nomadic ancestry.. and a lot of cavalry.
    The culture, ethno-linguistics (is that a word?), etc., can all be decided by the group.
    From there, we are characters in this group, and, like the Mongols, Huns, and every other nomadic tribe that came out of the steppe with fire and iron, we're basically just an extended clan of herdsmen who decide we want to force our cousins, our cousins' cousins, and all their friends, to give us their grazing lands.
    And then we decide we're not satisfied, and that much can be achieved with just a handful of horse archers..

The world evolves out before us as we explore it, and the civilizations/cultures and the geography we come across should generally be "randomized" (I have ideas for generation).

Look at the Turks, the Mongols.
    They spread out, changed their worlds drastically, and even adopted Islam (the conversion of the Seljuk Turks and their invasion of Anatolia almost feels like a gift from Allah to the medieval Muslim world.. The Mongol Ilkhanate by contrast can be seen as the beginning of a rebirth of Persian power).
    Imagine trying to match that kind of dynamic destiny & narrative in a fictional world.

And this wouldn't be a simple RP-only type of RPG, but would have mechanics here and there (perhaps a battle system which lends itself to horde battle tactics?).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Dirty Chai; November 09, 2014 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Might anyone remember this idea from a while back?

(Disclaimer before I continue: Do not kick, hit, or yell at me. I'm just talking here.
    And no, Fallout is not dead, dammit.)

Fictional world.
    We are a nomadic/semi-nomadic tribe, or at least tribal group that would have nomadic ancestry.. and a lot of cavalry.
    The culture, ethno-linguistics (is that a word?), etc., can all be decided by the group.
    From there, we are characters in this group, and, like the Mongols, Huns, and every other nomadic tribe that came out of the steppe with fire and iron, we're basically just an extended clan of herdsmen who decide we want to force our cousins, our cousins' cousins, and all their friends, to give us their grazing lands.
    And then we decide we're not satisfied, and that much can be achieved with just a handful of horse archers..

The world evolves out before us as we explore it, and the civilizations/cultures and the geography we come across should generally be "randomized" (I have ideas for generation).

Look at the Turks, the Mongols.
    They spread out, changed their worlds drastically, and even adopted Islam (the conversion of the Seljuk Turks and their invasion of Anatolia almost feels like a gift from Allah to the medieval Muslim world..).
    Imagine trying to match that kind of dynamic destiny & narrative in a fictional world.

And this wouldn't be a simple RP-only type of RPG, but would have mechanics here and there (perhaps a battle system which lends itself to horde battle tactics?).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hmmm, like hillfolk, but instead, Horse people lol.

Sounds r/mildlyinteresting.

Also, I would be interested in doing something like this, but with early slavic/germanic/norse iron age Forrest tribes. Have the setting something like "Somewhere north in the vast foreboding forests of the north, far from the warm middle seas and civilized peoples" so the game could be anywhere from the Rhine river to the alps-carpathians to Scandinavia to Belarus. Using the template of Indo-European tribes (Slavs, Germanics, proto nordic peoples, celts to a lesser extent) we could use that as a structure to create our own plausible historical band. I mean, given how semi-nomadic forrest dwelling groups migrated, intermarried, and fought wars with one another we could be as mixed up one could want.

For example, the Lugii or Lugiones tribe. They were considered by the Romans to be Germanic, but they were heavily influenced from Hallstadt culture celts in modern day Austria-Bohemia, but their tribal name comes from the slavic root word for people (similar to how Deutsch in german means "The People") which leads me to believe the Luggiones spoke a version of Proto slavic as well
    Last edited by Ace_General; November 09, 2014 at 03:16 AM.
    Low speed, High Drag

Fictional world, me thinks.
    Which means we could (for example) be a people with Norse-inspired language, but a steppe culture (that's a very simple and uncreative example, so don't take that seriously).

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    Hmmm, like hillfolk, but instead, Horse people lol.
    Essentially, yes.

Huh. No one else?
    Alrighty then.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

I remember, and I remember liking it, AND I'd be in.

@BF

I dont see what the point of the idea is. What is the rp about? We sit on horses and shoot with arrows? Whats the draw? What is the setting, all i hear is part of a concept. That being said im always a fan of the nomadic horde aesthetic. EU4 making me like them more than i thought i would have.

Conquest. Fighting. The fun of curiosity and exploring a world that generates before your eyes.
    In-fighting, even.
    Roleplaying. Interacting with cultures and our own created culture.

Edit: I do enjoy how you always ask me to better explain the point of my RPG ideas, Zectorman.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; November 09, 2014 at 06:43 PM.