Page 35 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1025262728293031323334353637383940414243444560 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade for 3.2 - v3.0 previews on page 83, region changes on page 84!!

SuljicDamir's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade for 3.2 (1.0 released!)

Hi ther Does anybody else notice while you're over Mirkwod Forest ,game is slowing ,mowments are slow ? and when you go out all is ok ??

There is now a Moddb link for the new version of the map :
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/divide-and...ign-map-remade

Quote Originally Posted by Selerz View Post
    Can you link to that mod because i can't find it?
    You just have to go back a few pages in the submod section, I could do it for you but why I should?
    You'll find two versions, one from darth lord revan (but has some bugs) the other from Nemesis_GR: the latter is for TATW 3.1 but it's still valid IIRC, you can easily compare the 2 mods with WinMerge anyway and add the missing content to Nemesis' version, if necessary (I did that but i can't remember what I did because I currently suffer from a massive hangover, sorry )

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

It seems that my descr_geography_new.db combined with the climate overhaul has not brought in any reports of battle CTD...

Does anyone still get battle CTD's like vanilla or MOS? If not, I may have fixed that issue.

Also, I would like to announce that a 1.1 is definitely incoming.

Major changes:
    • Moar regions! 199 regions, the max amount! (the 199th had to be the Sauron region for vanilla)

• Lossarnach has been redone, split into actual Lossanarch and North Lebennin. Another region has been added, West Lebennin, including the lands along the coast west of Pelargir.
      • Rhovanion is now expanded, with two new regions throughout the area. One is in its far South, just above the mountains of Mordor, and one is west of Dorwinion, consider it the 'capital' of the once Kingdom of Rhovanion.
      • Even more expansion has arrived for the regions east of the Celduin. Gramavuld is now three regions, and another region has been added north of Dorwinion.
      • Mirkwood has been fleshed out. Three new regions now expand the forest, helping mods with Lorien factions give plenty of territory to conquer.
      • The western Anduin Vale has been split in half, helping AI there immensely.
      • Minhiriath is now two regions, bridging the gap between Saralainn and Eyrn Vorn
      • The lands west of the Lune have also been halved, divided by a western arm of the Lune.
      • Tol Fuin is now a settlement + region, using the lowest population possible in vanilla. It will be Fuin Harbour, under rebel control. Dark creatures have inhabited this region. This has been done primarily for AI reasons.
      • The rebel territory to the far-east of Harad has been further expanded, and another settlement has been added above Khand, providing Rhun with a link to those regions.
      • Rhun has gained another settlement in Gathod, providing a longer conquest of its lands.
      • Fangorn is now two regions, west and east. Treebeard's Hill is the new settlement.
      • The West Gate of Moria has been added as a settlement, to provide a safe-guard against a western attack for the orcs.
      • The Isenmouthe of Mordor is now a settlement, providing yet another chokepoint for Mordor.
      • Finally, a small region has been added just west of the Gap of Rohan, another clan of Enedwaith.

• Farmland overhaul! There still wasn't enough farmland to have it properly represented throughout the world, so I went on a spree and seriously improved the look of many regions and areas.
    • Better AI! Less stack spamming, more focusing on the enemy and pathfinding fixes. Naval AI will be improved alot, especially in the west due to simplified pathfinding.
    • Remade Mouths of the Entwash! I accidentally made the area a swamp, when it definetly shouldn't have been. Also one arm of the river there was missing. Now the area is completely redone. The swamp across the river is also fixed up, it now extends to the Anduin completely, after research I found revealed its purpose, it was a swamp because of the rush of the water from the Entwash spilling over the Anduin.
    • Minor climate improvements and fixes...

Another question for people. The Shire in DaC has two more regions, Buckland and Tookland. These would be added to the already large Eriador faction in vanilla. Do people want to see these two regions implemented?
    Last edited by FireFreak111; March 24, 2013 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFreak111 View Post
    It seems that my descr_geography_new.db combined with the climate overhaul has not brought in any reports of battle CTD...

Does anyone still get battle CTD's like vanilla or MOS? If not, I may have fixed that issue.

Also, I would like to announce that a 1.1 is definitely incoming.

Another question for people. The Shire in DaC has two more regions, Buckland and Tookland. These would be added to the already large Eriador faction in vanilla. Do people want to see these two regions implemented?
    I am happy to report, I am 123 turns in with Eriador and not a single ctd has occurred Few bug reports however, The Balrog was resurected upon attacking 'Minas Malloth' when it was briefly claimed by the MM. this has meant the Balrog has not come to Moria's aid. Additionaly, the ai (Dwarves and HE especially) cannot take 'Minas Girithilin' (west of Iach Sarn on the Brandywine). I have played Eriador with your map 6 times now and every time, they stand directly opposite it to the west of the river, I believe because it is equidistant from the river crossings.

Yes I would love Eriador to gain two new shire regions although, I would ask that you make smials at least give hobbits free upkeep? Additionally if you could add them to Bree as it was not devoid of hobbits (I know they lived in houses but you can hardly make an entire new building for bree hobbits).

Is there a plan to make Fennas Drúnin a unique settlement? At the moment it is rather odd going from a ring of tents on the campaign map to a huge city in the battles.

Despite any of this, I think the map adds so much to the game and you have done a truly capital job sir.

Arachir

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Fantastic news!
    I hope this doesn't have any influence on the changes you already listed. I think Buckland should be definetly in. But they are villages, so I think the count of regions doesn't really matter.

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

I tightened the river crossings at Girithlin, noticed that issue too. The Balrog script would be unaffected, it just means Moria wasn't attacked by the enemy. For the smials, I already did that for DaC, I didn't want to affect vanilla balance. Both the Bree change and the upkeep change. Not sure if I should risk adding an additional file to the mod (the EDB). Fennas Drunin will use a different battle-map in the next patch, experimenting with various vanilla settlements I can use without resorting to making it a village (making it useless). Might work for vanilla, but DaC Dunedain will suffer a ton. I might set it to a village when the Reunited Kingdom chain is released. I have plans to eventually make it a custom settlement. For now I might just give it the northern_european village. It would be lore accurate to make it a village though, would also help vanilla balance.

Preview of next update (using DaC):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by FireFreak111; March 24, 2013 at 05:07 AM.

wood <3

I tightened the river crossings at Girithlin, noticed that issue too. The Balrog script would be unaffected, it just means Moria wasn't attacked by the enemy. For the smials, I already did that for DaC, I didn't want to affect vanilla balance. Both the Bree change and the upkeep change. Not sure if I should risk adding an additional file to the mod (the EDB). Fennas Drunin will use a different battle-map in the next patch, experimenting with various vanilla settlements I can use without resorting to making it a village (making it useless). Might work for vanilla, but DaC Dunedain will suffer a ton. I might set it to a village when the Reunited Kingdom chain is released. I have plans to eventually make it a custom settlement. For now I might just give it the northern_european village. It would be lore accurate to make it a village though, would also help vanilla balance.
    Wonderful on all accounts. Can I suggest that Gundabad start with Angsul and or Pitkaranta upon next release of either expanded vanilla or DAC? As mentioned before I have played Eriador a lot (gotta love those bree-land militia), anyway, Gundabad are pathetic, little more than bandit settlements. Obviously orcs strength is in their numbers but they can't seem to muster a huge force and all their attention is on Eriador early game and they still don't ever present a threat.

I think if they started with a few more regions, they might be that little bit more annoying like the MM. I don't think they will ever be a power like mordor, btu they really are little more than bandits atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachir Galudirithon View Post
    . Obviously orcs strength is in their numbers but they can't seem to muster a huge force and all their attention is on Eriador early game and they still don't ever present a threat.
    Think I pointed this out "years" ago This is the reason why people (which is playing good factions) can conquer half the map before turn 100
    Last edited by SandraDevilGirl; March 24, 2013 at 07:49 AM.

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

Obviously orcs strength is in their numbers but they can't seem to muster a huge force and all their attention is on Eriador early game and they still don't ever present a threat.
    and i still maintain that there shouldn't be such a huge emphasis on orcs numbers! the films have corrupted people! orcs were well equipped and pretty darn deadly!

but yes, there should be a sense of impending doom... mwahaha... *cough* making the player go through the decision of 'should i save this guys ass and risk my own or save my own and risk his...' the LOTR neck beard has spoken!

but in all seriousness everything looks wonderful!

Senator

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade (Patch 5 for 3.2, first post!)

In absolute basic terms. Extract the contents of the zip file anywhere (the desktop is rather useful here)
    Then drag a box around the three items that are now present (not the original zip file).
    Right click on one of the files (any one)
    Select the 'copy' command from the drop down.
    Navigate to your third_age_3 folder (Mine is in c/programs files (x86)/SEGA/medieval 2 total war/mods/
    Double click on the third age folder
    Now right click (anywhere but another file)
    Select 'paste' from the dropdown
    Your pc will now offer you the chance to 'merge' the old data file with the one you are copying across.
    Let it merge and let it overwrite anything it asks permission for.
    Then double click the 'RUN AFTER INSTALL' file and press enter.
    Now play the game from wherever you normally start third age up.

Repeat for the patch with the following exceptions:
    The patch only has one item namely a 'data' folder.
    You should run the RUN AFTER INSTALL file after you have installed the patch
    Oh. I've been extracting the zip file directly to the my folder. 'Facepalm' Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by beermugcarl View Post
    and i still maintain that there shouldn't be such a huge emphasis on orcs numbers! the films have corrupted people! orcs were well equipped and pretty darn deadly!

but yes, there should be a sense of impending doom... mwahaha... *cough* making the player go through the decision of 'should i save this guys ass and risk my own or save my own and risk his...' the LOTR neck beard has spoken!

but in all seriousness everything looks wonderful!
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraDevilGirl View Post
    Think I pointed this out "years" ago This is the reason why people (which is playing good factions) can conquer half the map before turn 100
    I completely agree Sandra, I am 120 turns in and I own every single province to the west of the Misty Mountains and all of Enedwaith and western Rohan. I am Eriador and there just isn't anyone to stop Eriador or the HE.

I think the Orcs of Gundabad suffer because their main unit is snaga, they barely buid any thing higher than that. Especially when they come under pressure, they just spam snaga and they rout liek instantly and ofc I am on VH/VH.

This is only a particular worry when DAC adds Lindon, Ered Luin, and Northern Dúnedain to the mix. They will end up fighting each other as to who gets to claim Gundabad's regions.

Just have to face it, TWTA is never gonna be challenging for people with a little tactic in their fingers. AI lack total coordination. (game limitation).

-Dont/Rarely attacks with a high star general so most of their unit route pretty easy.
    -Dont/Rarely merge units within stack so they might have 20 units (10-30 in each) in one stack running around.
    -Dont/Rarely stack army in important boarder settlements so they fall easy.
    -Dont/Rarely coordinate attacks (several stacks attack one target).
    -Dont/Rarely manage economic after turn 50-60 ending with bankrupt.
    -Dont/Rarely take advantage of the Free Upkeep feature so after turn 50-60 they often loose city due to rebellion.
    -Dont/Rarely prioritize training elite units so half enemys army are poor units.

So for all those how like making "Campaign! video, what are you trying to prove/show? How good your skills in TATW are?

Dont get me wrong, I love this game but that's mainly because of lore. I always ending up helping the enemy by taking back settlements they have lost due to rebellion or give them money so they dont only build low-end units. I think that LOTR is a perfect total war concept and think it would be awesome if that came after Rome 2, sadly thats never gonna happen.
    Last edited by SandraDevilGirl; March 24, 2013 at 01:19 PM.

@FireFreak

You never cease to impress!

beermugcarl's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by SandraDevilGirl View Post
    Just have to face it, TWTA is never gonna be challenging for people with a little tactic in their fingers. AI lack total coordination. (game limitation).

-Dont/Rarely attacks with a high star general so most of their unit route pretty easy.
    -Dont/Rarely merge units within stack so they might have 20 units (10-30 in each) in one stack running around.
    -Dont/Rarely stack army in important boarder settlements so they fall easy.
    -Dont/Rarely coordinate attacks (several stacks attack one target).
    -Dont/Rarely manage economic after turn 50-60 ending with bankrupt.
    -Dont/Rarely take advantage of the Free Upkeep feature so after turn 50-60 they often loose city due to rebellion.
    -Dont/Rarely prioritize training elite units so half enemys army are poor units.

So for all those how like making "Campaign! video, what are you trying to prove/show? How good your skills in TATW are?

Dont get me wrong, I love this game but that's mainly because of lore. I always ending up helping the enemy by taking back settlements they have lost due to rebellion or give them money so they dont only build low-end units. I think that LOTR is a perfect total war concept and think it would be awesome if that came after Rome 2, sadly thats never gonna happen.

all those AI complaints have essentially been solved by numerous projects... try PCP or his AI at the very least... though, i shouldn't use the word 'solved' i should more just say that many people have improved upon the situation greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by beermugcarl View Post
    all those AI complaints have essentially been solved by numerous projects... try PCP or his AI at the very least... though, i shouldn't use the word 'solved' i should more just say that many people have improved upon the situation greatly.
    True, I have never tried PCP but I got a CTD every time I tried to install the submod so I gave it up. Hoping a less "complicated" installer will arrive soon. But, people might have improved the AI to a state were it is now, I cant imagine how bad the AI was before then. After playing MOS since 1.0, these are the things I have seen which must be addressed in order to provide a good challenge.

Some people like to just surf the wave all the way to victory without a single challenge, but Im not like that I can only hope that DaC will provide some more advance AI tweaking, seems to be alot of focus on AI on the new campaign map so maybe we will see the same on the main submod as well, then all my complains haven't been for nothing
    Last edited by SandraDevilGirl; March 25, 2013 at 01:49 AM.

Is there no patch download anymore?

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

No, this is full version.

After I use 7-zip to put the files on the desktop. And when I copy them to put them in the "Third_Age_3" Folder. When it says "The command Move File". Do you move and replace all files on that or no? Or move, but keep both files. Which do I do?