Page 6 of 85 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade for 3.2 - v3.0 previews on page 83, region changes on page 84!!

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Imladris 3.0 Preview added, first post!)

Some minor notes:
    Emin Uial need expansion at their northern part towards the "tip" of the lake Evendim
    Erebor is missing
    There's a ridge that u've forgotten at Eregion, just north of Moria
    At Lamedon, you've ommited the Hills that form Tarlang's neck.
    Rhudaur and all the lands between the Misty Mts and Greyflood needs some roughing.

Overall, that's some fantastic start you've made

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Imladris 3.0 Preview added, first post!)

Thanks Beorn, one by one....

-Emin Uial, will do
    -Erebor is a settlement that's a mountain, no need to put a mountain on a mountain
    -Where is this ridge? Are you talking about hills, a gorge, a plateau? It's not on the main maps.
    -Gondor and its area needs major work, hill revamps, rivers and alot more. I will be sure to add those hills.
    -Rhudaur will be like my previous map where I reworked it, rough with scattered woods.

In other news, a Dol Guldur preview with some new tree models: (btw, it does snow at Dol Guldur...)

All credits for the new models and textures go to Emperor of Hell!
    Last edited by FireFreak111; January 31, 2013 at 07:38 AM.

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Trees by me

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Dol Guldur Preview added, first post!)

@FF it's in the middle of the distance between Caradhras and Gladden Field's "height" at my copy's map. It's also in Fonstad's map.

@Emperor nice DG and trees

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Dol Guldur Preview added, first post!)

I will get to work on Eriador now, getting it to (and hopefully surpassing) the standard and quality of my previous map, starting with the east, the region from the Coldfells to Eregion.

@Beorn
    Found the ridge, thanks

I like what you guys did with the trees around Dol Guldur and the fortress as well.

Nice work!

SuljicDamir's Avatar Civis

Is it possible that the Walls of Dol Guldur be black ?

On the strat-map model, the walls will match the battle-map, which if either is changed the other is. Once I have KK's permission to alter slightly some of the custom settlements it's something I may do. One thing I will do is change the texture of the stone it's placed on to be the Mordor texture, considering that's what it will now look like on the battle-map.

I've been working on properly implementing the mountains, which involves removing them and remaking them properly.

Main reason should be below
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The current mountains on the heightmap is based on placeholder scribbling in of a mountain pattern while I was designing the map. Being sort of lazy at the time, I simply smoothed them out, said 'Good enough for now' and moved on. Well, now is the time to turn crap like this:

into mountains like this:

Height variation for the mountains is something I am working on. Currently the southern half of the Misty Mountains and the White Mountains are using this technique. Once the Misty Mountains are complete and the Andrast portion of the White Mountains is redone (far too tall currently), I will post some previews and the heightmap.

Summer Lorien in the background is placeholder.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Do you intend to put permanent snow on the tallest peaks? Looks like you did it on the second version of mountains but it's hard to tell because you kept the fow on
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Permanent snow is on the peaks, once variation in height is done it will vary with which peaks get it.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

This is awesome.

good luck

also, we have a preview thread somewehre in this forum, if needed

NICE

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by FireFreak111 View Post
    Permanent snow is on the peaks, once variation in height is done it will vary with which peaks get it.
    Nice Btw the newer peaks look much more realistic than any i've seen in M2TW:K without becoming really spiky like many do when they try and create peaks
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Thanks to all

Update on the mountain work, I have completed the White Mountains now with full height variation. Only the center peaks are snowcapped, the rest are not. A few still don't have a properly defined peak, they are being worked on. This is just so I have good mountains which I can polish and shine later without having to remake them.

Heightmap to see the comparison between old and new mountains (should be easy to spot the difference ). Haradwaith had major work done, Eriador will be started once the mountains are redone. Also, the Isengard mountain and hills needs work.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

@smoesville
    I've noticed alot of people use the high_mountains ground_type, its truly a retarted type, with the peak looking unrealistic and ultra pointy. The other things some do (and I will admit, at one point I tried the technique) is to use an extra tall center pixel, which makes it look jagged, aliased and stretched.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; January 31, 2013 at 06:19 AM.

Do not forger to add the known peaks of the Ered Nimrais...

The Halifirien Hill, the Irensaga, Starkhorn, Dwimorberg, and the triple peak of Thrihyrne. (note: Dwimorberg could have a darker look, like Mordor's mountains.

About Gondor, we have a ready height map: the Return of the King map...
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Great to see such a narrow Gap of Rohan, it infuse the feeling of strategic importance.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

@Aromez
    With the Rast Morthil mountains and east White Mountains redone, I am now going to redo the center, using the important peaks and variating heights far more. Thanks for pointing me to the map too I will combine it with maps like this: http://users.abo.fi/jolin/tolkien/at..._mountains.gif

Also, do you per-chance have a RoTK map bigger than this: http://www.strangehorizons.com/2010/...3/tolkiens.jpg?

@Ngugi
    It will be interesting to fight with, especially at the Fords of Isen.
    Last edited by FireFreak111; January 31, 2013 at 07:12 AM.

Love the effort put into this. So this map is only gonna include realistic citys/towns/fort? Meaning alot of citys/towns/fort gonna be removed? I see that Rohan have been stripped from many according to that map but that might be because Edoras and Isengard is the only citys added here.

Many, many more cities will be added, regions redone. I just have the custom settlements there so people can familiarize, and so that they are there for reference when I make the terrain, and so that they are already in meaning less work later. Once the terrain is done then the region/settlement work begins.

Reworking the entire Pukel-gap to Minas Tirith stretch of the White Mountains from scratch, the main peak of Starkhorn is clearly the center of the mountains, with the Haunted Mountain to the right and the various peaks of the Misty Mountains that are named (and using heightmap and map-in-general data ). The western part of this strip is at a lower height than the rest of the Mountains. I will do this (geographically based, information based peaks) for each mountain range, to make sure they get the same level of care as the rest of the map.

Beautiful!
    Dol Guldur still and dark, and...are those wretched trees?
    And Imladris good too