Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: Divide and Conquer: Campaign Map, Remade for 3.2 - v3.0 previews on page 83, region changes on page 84!!

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Map WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor of Hell View Post
    Why do I only have team members which such crazy ideas....
    You are lucky you never had me as a team member.

@FireFreak; Looks good. The TATW (and PCP) settlements are spread out further than they should be because if they are not it will eff up the CAI and also turn the game into even more of a siegefest. Might want to do some testing if you haven't already. Good luck with the map, don't get too ambitious or you will burn yourself out like many before you.
    Last edited by alreadyded; January 28, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

FireFreak111's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Imladris 3.0 Preview added, first post!)

Will do that road into the pass, but it will be at the same height as the pass through the Misty Mountains for campaign-battle map translation.

@alreadyded
    I noticed with my previous map that the settlements were so close together. This was one of the prime reasons why I have made this map in the first place. I have noticed the scale is a bit smaller with this map, which is a good thing. It also has the right proportions, such as the Brandywine - Gwathlo or Dol Guldur to Thranduril's Halls. The only place that will be hectic when war begins is the Minas Tirith - Minas Morgul. The Gap of Rohan will also be a bit of a chokepoint due to the Fords of Isen. I will take note of that though, and luckily most of the siegefest between the Brandywine and the Gwathlo will be removed thanks to the distance between them.

Default Re: Divide and Conquer: New Campaign Map WIP (Imladris 3.0 Preview added, first post!)

Yeah, I hope you dont lore the gameplay out of this mod. The AI suckes big time already, dont make it harder for them

It was my understanding that the DAC hosts would be more controlled, meaning that it would cost more complete flags armies would be more complicated, both the player and the AI. With this there would be no difficulty in that the AI went mad with siegefest?

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Something like the Turtle mod? Lots of small conflicts but only rarely full stacks?
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

sanderman2's Avatar Centenarius

Love Imladris 3.0 really amazing.

I took a break from the mapping aspect to script in all the climates properly, into the geography_new file and also the weather_db file. Functional climates in, no CTD . Next up, more mapping.

Though the Crysis 3 Beta may distract me for a while....... hmmmm...

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Best luck with this projects guys, I was quite close with the "original" DaC team and I;m glad someone decides to work on this mod

I love the idea of DaC, and am proud to be apart of the team. I figured something out, and if I succeed I can ensure no palm trees in Mordor. I have already succeeded in making the vegetation work right for the new climates, now I will try some stuff with Mordor, otherwise I will go back to it after moar mapping.

Can I just ensure, does anyone get palm trees with Mordor in 3.2?
    Last edited by FireFreak111; January 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM.

Not that i recall, though it's been a while since i've been there.

SuljicDamir's Avatar Civis

It would be good to add option of making camp for Generals you know not the stone camp , the first camp like from Medieval total war ... not that from Kingdoms

Buildable forts is just plain chaotic, so this map will remain like vanilla in the sense that there are preplaced forts. Watchtowers are still buildable of course.

Here's an updated heightmap preview.....

....also a animated comparison again, this time comparing Vanilla (not my old modded Vanilla) to this map, showing the major differences and why I have alot more to do

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...psd09221d6.gif

It also makes me wonder, what did they base the original map on?
    Last edited by FireFreak111; January 30, 2013 at 09:05 AM.

I think he meant to say forts, not camps, like in RTW, you could build forts and watchtowers.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

They were fortified camps in M2TW aswell, Kingdoms is what brought in PSFs. It would be cool to have little camps like that, especially if they were specific to the cultures. In fairness though that really doesn't relate to what you're doing

PS
    Looking at the comparative height maps, i really think this is going to make for a very different and interesting campaign than vanilla. Specifically in areas like the gap of Rohan.

PPS
    So there aren't any recorded islands off the coast of Umbar?
    Last edited by smoesville; January 30, 2013 at 09:20 AM.

There were two islands (one west of the gulf and one north of the cape of Umbar.)
    these were shown in both of the older Middle Earth maps, found in the Treason of Isengard and the War of the Ring.
    Let’s keep enjoying kings and wizards. But also remember to keep them where they belong.
    Where they can do little harm.
    Where they entertain us.

In fantasies...

I love how you improved the distances between certain settlements. I always thought that Isengard and the Hornburg were way too far apart in TATW considering it took Saruman's army a day to march to Helm's Deep. Also I think you did an incredible job creating an accurate distance between Minas Tirith and Mordor. An amazing mapping job all around! I can't wait for you to get it completely finish! +rep to you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by FireFreak111 View Post
    Buildable forts is just plain chaotic, so this map will remain like vanilla in the sense that there are preplaced forts. Watchtowers are still buildable of course.

Here's an updated heightmap preview.....

....also a animated comparison again, this time comparing Vanilla (not my old modded Vanilla) to this map, showing the major differences and why I have alot more to do

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...psd09221d6.gif

It also makes me wonder, what did they base the original map on?
    Wow ! I just think that Celduin Vale is too clean-cut ...

Oh, and could you make Tol Brandir ? And good orentation for Argonath ?
    Sorry for my bad English ; I'm Belgian.

very nice!
    An improvement in the height map that I propose is the creation of a step up to the Gladden River, where the Rivendell's explorers cross the Misty Mountains before the Fellowship starts from there, and the creation of the route by which dwarves crossed the Ered Luin, at the height of Mount Dolmed.

Very good job!

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

GREAT job on the map, it's one of the features I really dislike on the Vanilla TATW

Thanks guys, I love suggestions, many have improved my work so far, also on the old map when I was working on that.

@Aromez/smoesville
    I will have a look for the maps, and hunt down the islands so I can implement them. The most important ones are currently the ones implemented.

@lax15
    Thanks. The new distance creates an interesting dynamic for Minas Tirith to Minas Morgul, looking like sister cities. The time to attack one another has been reduced.

@Thorin II
    I will touch up the vale (not sure if there was even a vale... hmmm )

I will implement Tol Brandir, but Argonath unfortunately needs to remain the way it is, as otherwise the strat-map to battle-map translation for the custom Argonath map is mucked up, it's also needed for the little river that makes it crossable so you can fight battles there.

@Dronin
    I keep reading of a pass towards the Gladden, so I will use the new path to High Pass and add a small route that goes to the Gladden. Ered Luin is one of the mountain ranges without passes yet, which it needs. I will keep that specific route in mind though.