Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Second rebellion; had 120, lost 80 provinces

Default Re: Second rebellion; had 120, lost 80 provinces

I like how your keeping score with the numbers of lost troops and killed enemy. Would be nice to have a total kill counter.

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

Lord Tedric, thanks for the kind comments. We shall persevere. From the power graphs it appears the Armenians have been the beneficiaries of our recent unpleasantness and have become very powerful. In our pre-rebellion battles vs. them around Byzantion they proved pretty fearsome. We had to keep four legions at hand just to field a front of two with all the losses; seemed like we were just starting to wear them down when the rebellion hit. For now, best they stay behind the Rebs at Byzantion.

iWarsaw, for this campaign and its predecessor, I immediately evacuated the settlements at Emporiae and Dyrrhachium by sea and returned those troops to Italy while destroying whatever structures I could to get the money (not much as I remember). The logistics of supporting especially Emporiae seemed too daunting to deal with while also confronting the Cathagininans in Italy. Plus tactically I tend to be pretty conventional; I like contiguous lines of defense. Altho I've read some threads where folks have held on to them successfully.

BabJones, I've attached a fresh blank of the scoresheet I've been using. I can't take credit for developing it; I downloaded it originally from the SPQR forum when I was playing that mod. I've tweaked it, but only a little. After unzip, you have to specify to open it with Excel Spreadsheet otherwise you get a bunch of machinecode. Enjoy.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Paladin247; March 25, 2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Instructions.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

All, there's a problem w/ the kill sheet; for some reason it won't allow ELS as the means to open. I'm going to try to figure it out, but in the meantime here's the link to the original which also has instructions.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Tracking-V2-0

As I remember, most of my tweaks consisted of changing background colors and faction names to bring it into agreement w/ RS2 vice SPQR.

Then the one reference in this link is an improved version and may be the one I actually went with; sorry for the confusion.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ight=killsheet
    Last edited by Paladin247; March 25, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

Pedro el Cruel's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Well done indeed - especially for persevering. This is an excellent chance for the Team to review the construct and it does show, even though I myself don't like the current, somewhat artificial and overly scripted style.

Most importantly, it would be great if you can continue to achieve the 130 settlement victory condition - without the rebellion re-occuring.
    I just want to insist a second time: If you want some investigations for the development of 2.6 you need a roman player of 2.5 not 2.1a, like Palladin is. In the 2.1a version the loyalty-system was not working and none of your governors revolted. Instead the game spawned new generals for the rebells. In 2.5 something has been changed, so you got treacherous governors and provinces that rebell again and again without an end. So the future work has to quit the rebellion-bug of 2.5. Am I right?

Petite Wolf's Avatar Semisalis

Paladin, your killsheet opened fine for me with Excel. I didn't need to do anything special. I just extracted it from the zip folder and opened it. Oh! Also, Sarmatia was missing from the "RSII Campaign" tab, and Pergamon and the Cimbri are missing from the Legion tabs. Just thought I'd let you know. Pergamon, although it is on the "RSII Campaign" tab, doesn't seem to be part of the chart. It took me a while, as I'm completely useless with Excel, but I did manage to figure out how to add them and get them working like the rest. I also colour-coded each faction's column on the RSII Campaign tab because colour coding is fun =D.

Petite Wolf, thanks for your post; I'm glad to know it breaks correctly. It didn't when I tested it after I posted; I think I know what I did wrong.

I'd never noticed that Sarmatia and Pergamon were missing likely because I've never fought a battle vs. either. By the time I'd gotten to their lands in my previous campaign, they'd already been destroyed by another faction. Both are hanging around in this one tho, so I fixed them on the sheets. Also fixed the Cimbri which I had known about but forgot. When I came on them in the current campaign, I took the lazy man's approach and re-named the Dacians who were already extinct. Like you, I'm not proficient in Excel, mostly it's monkey see, monkey do with no real idea of why it works when it does. I also noticed on the campaign tab that Sparta is listed on the column header, but not in the factions box at upper right. Without appearing there, the bar graph for them won't come up, so add them in.
    Last edited by Paladin247; March 28, 2013 at 01:07 PM.

For those who want it; here's the complete, working KillSheet. It should now have all factions in working order. Remember to open w/ Excel.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Paladin, out of interest why do you also have the Hamata Legions under 'Pre-Marius'? Interesting campaign / thread - thanks

5th LT, thanks.

I like associating names w/ my legions even the Pre-Marians. So I've used some of the earlier names there like Italica, Sabina, Lybica, etc. that are not used in the post Marian army. Then when these decommission after the reforms, I march them back to the bases of their replacements and transfer their traits to the newly recruited Hamatas via the 'create_unit' cheat. Some will say that it's not Kosher, but I assume that some of the decommissioning legionaries would transition into the new legion. And of course to my benefit, if the Sabina's have a bunch of silver chevron units on decommission, the Augustas then pick them up.

It's the winter of 773 AUC and as you can see the rebellion is crushed. It took 53 years in which we fought 120 battles and killed 268,005 rebels. We have re-established our limes along the traditional Rhine/Danube barrier in Europe and currently along the Nile in Egypt which is almost exactly where we were when the rebellion hit. The lone blue rebel province shown is Sarmizegetusa which the rebels are holding with almost a full stack garrison. This was originally within the empire, but is outside the more defensible Rhine/Danube limes. I haven't decided yet what to do with it; after we took it the first time it became a salient constantly attacked by Macedonia, more of a pain than it was worth. So I may just go kill all the rebels therein and trash the place.

We don't need the money tho, the economy is booming; made almost 80K last GT and running a balance of about 100K. Running out of things to spend it on. Alot of provinces are built out. All legions and four aux cohorts at full strength with the exception of VIth Victrix. They were serving as the garrison against brigands and the like in Spain and Western Africa when they were virtually destroyed recently by an earthquake at Baikor (less than 50 survivors). I retrained the four surviving legion cohorts, an archer company and an ala, but haven't recruited any replacement units. As currently manned they should be plenty of a match for any emerging threats. As has been oft stated in this forum, they become pretty useless as the war moves east. Their sister legion XXth Valeria Victrix is in Northern Gaul serving as garrison and reserves for the legions facing the Cimbri who attack enuf to be troublesome but not dangerous.

According to the line graphs of the remaining factions, Armenia is our only real rival with a military larger than ours but a much less muscular economy. We are at peace with them currently. They have taken all the previously Egyptian provinces east of the Nile which are sparsely garrisoned. Armenia is at war w/ Egypt, but my spies who have ranged all the way to the top of the Levant, have not been able to locate any Egyptian forces and not a lot of Armenians.

We have five legions in Egypt and two in Byzantion where Armenian holdings across the straits also have meager defenders and no nearby field armies.

Plan is to stand pat for a while and flush spies into the Armenian Empire to locate their strengths w/ the long range goal of taking Turkey and the Levant.
    Last edited by Paladin247; May 03, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Very good thread. +Rep
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

hell yea verry nice+rep

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin247 View Post
    Thanks guys.
    It is well deserved. Your experience(s), the details and persevering to the conclusion has been extremely useful.

Now, my only remaining question, and especially if you destroy all the rebels - have you had any issues with settlements re-rebelling? For if not, then at least that part may be over.....

A genuine and well earned Rep+1.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

I believe he playes 2.1 there was no rebellion bug or am i wrong with that??

Quote Originally Posted by tungri_centurio View Post
    I believe he playes 2.1 there was no rebellion bug or am i wrong with that??
    I went back and re-read carefully - and sadly that does seem to be the case. That does make it even more curious to me how the bug even crept in......

Can't/Wouldn't dream of taking the Rep back - still useful!
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

No he deserves the rep completly.it is still a hard challenge to reconquer all that land.
    Even without playing 2.5 did the team changes something about the rebellion for 2.5

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    I went back and re-read carefully - and sadly that does seem to be the case. That does make it even more curious to me how the bug even crept in......

Can't/Wouldn't dream of taking the Rep back - still useful!
    I believe there were changes in the system of what caused the rebellion and how it worked between 2.1 and 2.5. I have been playing since 2.0 and i think i remember something about it on the release notes. Sadly it gone bad and the rebellion got bugged.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

I play Roman take cartage ,spain & greece Game Is Great best ever total war experience!

Then come 2rebelion and citys are rebbeling turn after turn so i cant play normaly now do someone know can you fix it i try change trigger to 198settlements but it hapens anaway

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast