Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] The Magyars

Default Re: [Preview] The Magyars

Cant wait to play this, I was wondering when someone would make a Magyar faction. Good luck with the remaining details!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    No problem I'm eager to see how the evolution of the Magyars into the Hungarians will be portrayed in the game. Didn't Stephen also introduce ten vármegyék/counties to control his kingdom? I think the counts were called ispán, but you will probably know better Will you have titles like these as traits for the Magyars? Maybe they could be unlocked during Stephen's time as well and give additional bonuses like increased law or influence.
    Yes, you know it well. The vármegye was the base of the Hungarian administrative system, and the army.
    I don't know many things about the Magyars' tech trees and traits yet, but I want to make them as best as I can.

Dominion of the Sword - Magyar Department - Coordinator, PSF research leader
    The Great Conflicts - Magyar tribes researcher
    Heiđinn Veđr: Total War- Magyar tribes and Kingdom of Hungary researcher

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Very interesting - that Stephen guy seems to have a number of similarities with our Omurtag guy. For example, Omurtag also completed his administrative reforms, turning the state from a tribal union into a centralised empire, in less than 30 years. And he also divided the country to 10 counties (komitati). Interesting - it's common knowledge that the Bulgar(ian)s and Magyars in that time were quite similar, but I didn't think they'd have *that* many similarities!

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Quote Originally Posted by kiskompi View Post
    Yes, you know it well. The vármegye was the base of the Hungarian administrative system, and the army.
    I don't know many things about the Magyars' tech trees and traits yet, but I want to make them as best as I can.
    Well I know where to look them up in my books Yeah, good luck with that
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

some units have an emphasis on their mongoloid features and some are pretty caucasian. I know they were intermingled but the difference is too obvious.And again those mongoloid faces are a bit too pronounced imho

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG
    Very interesting - that Stephen guy seems to have a number of similarities with our Omurtag guy. For example, Omurtag also completed his administrative reforms, turning the state from a tribal union into a centralised empire, in less than 30 years. And he also divided the country to 10 counties (komitati). Interesting - it's common knowledge that the Bulgar(ian)s and Magyars in that time were quite similar, but I didn't think they'd have *that* many similarities!
    It's interesting! There is a supposition which says that Magyars have Turkic origins. If it's true, we can be relatives. Thank you for information!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria
    Well I know where to look them up in my books Yeah, good luck with that
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ♅Sturm und Drang♅
    some units have an emphasis on their mongoloid features and some are pretty caucasian. I know they were intermingled but the difference is too obvious.And again those mongoloid faces are a bit too pronounced imho
    The Magyars had mixed origin. It's not sure, but the main hypothesis says the had Uralic (Finno-Ugric) predeccesors, and some Turkic tribes joined them (Kabars, perhaps Szeklers). The second says they had Turkic origin, and Finno-Ugric tribes joined them. The conclusion is the same: there have to be some (more or less) Mongolic faces.

ofc but why more ? lol

I think only the Kavar units have mongolic face (and maybe Lóról szállt ínek). That's not more. That's less. Kavars are Khazars, so they have to have Mongolic face. And Ínek can sympolize the Turkic part of the Magyar tribes.

reffering to only those who are supposed to look mongolic...they look very, very mongolic. More mongolic than a Cantonese lol

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

Quote Originally Posted by ♅Sturm und Drang♅ View Post
    reffering to only those who are supposed to look mongolic...they look very, very mongolic. More mongolic than a Cantonese lol
    Can you honestly create a 3d model which when shown to a 3d party, will definetely force them to cry out loud : "MONGOL!"
    Come on mate, the diferences between a mongolic face and chinese face (although clear in real life) is a bit difficult to be portrayed on a 3d model.
    Grossly i tried to avoid any reassemblance by making cheeckbones wider, which IS a mongoloeid characteristic
    and their heads more flat. Furtheremore i tanned their skins

Can you please let me know what else should one do so to avoid the similarity?
    Other than placing a label on them screaming out lout "MOGOLOEID IN DA HOUSE!", that is ofc.

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Don't bother with them koulturas you are doing great workie!!!

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Magnific work ! I wait the game...

Awesome work.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Congratulations for the great preview, and the brilliant work done on the magyar roster!

I really LOVE the fact that there is a big variety of horse archers, not just 1 or 2! Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wareg View Post
    I'm deducted It from description in preview. It's quite logical what you've written, but I'm also not sure If every nomad had such skills. For ex. (I'm sure that you know this example, compatriot ) Tatars from Orda Nogajska - according to sources in 17th century they were really poorly equipment, minority (maybe even only elite) had composite bows or sabres, most - masłaki (kind of clubs). Were they lazy?
    I'm not expert and I trust you, that every non-slave Magyar could afford such bow (even simple wranglers), as kiskompi've written. Maybe hard times for nomads will come in later centuries...
    What must also be taken into account is that until the stop of the raids, the magyar society was highly militant.
    There was no state in the classical sense, and there was no violence monopoly either: the richer members of society didn't have means to force the poorer into paying taxes. This, and the "easy money" gained from raids had a strange result: the rich wanted to go to war to increase their wealth and conserve their status, while the poor wanted war too, so that he can sort of "catch" up, or end their poverty. Of course this meant that everyone was willing to participate in these campaigns, and since these happened frequently, everybody had the basic equipment and training.

This changed after a few defeats: suddenly it was more risky, and the wealthy dignitaries found themselves preferring to make money within the borders of the country. For this, they needed as state who has a monopoly of violence (to force poor into serfdom): and here come Géza's reforms.

Thank you for posting shikaka, it's completely true!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

What we tried to show with Magyars and later with Turcomans was the fact that they used multi tribal armies. Later when they settled for good they chosed a more centralised administration system (Feudal for Magyars/Hungarians, Islamic for Turcomans).
    But in 872AD we HAD to show atleast a number of differend tribes (not all though)that concisted the armies of that era.
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; January 24, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Shikaka, I've compared Magyars to XVII century Tatars, which also were highly militant and raids were their main source of income. However, composite bows and sabres were rare weapons amongst warriors of Nogai horde, the basic equipment were clubs. Of course It doesn't mean that composite bows weren't primary weapon of even poor Magyars.

Is this ready? If so, where can I download it?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    What we tried to show with Magyars and later with Turcomans was the fact that they used multi tribal armies. Later when they settled for good they chosed a more centralised administration system (Feudal for Magyars/Hungarians, Islamic for Turcomans).
    But in 872AD we HAD to show atleast a number of differend tribes (not all though)that concisted the armies of that era.
    "All" steppe factions had multiple tribes that united under one name, no entity rised from a single tribe. if you're going to depict different tribes under that banner you should do it properly and depict all the sub-tribes, not come up with an weird idea like using different names for same tribal groups, which are not even tribe names but the names of numerous grouplings labelled together under those names(same ones).
    Last edited by Tureuki; January 25, 2013 at 09:05 AM.

I think one of the best options to represent tribes in the mod is that every general should have a tribal ancilliary or trait. The tribes didn't have so large differences that we could show in the mod, so in my opinion it's completely enough.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast