Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MCMMO on restart?

Default MCMMO on restart?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and it's too bad I didn't suggest this on the recent restart:

I would like to suggest to add the MCMMO (MineCraft Massive Multiplayer Online) plugin whenever the next map restart is. This adds an RPG experience to any server, and I think it would compliment the PvP server greatly.

MCMMO works like this: You have separate "skills" that can be leveled up, with the cap of being 1000. From acrobatics to archery to planting, you will be given skills that will benefit whatever you like to do the most. You can find everything in the link below:

http://mcmmo.wikia.com/wiki/McMMO_Wiki

Now, I know it can't be added as veterans would feel "ripped off" because of lack of skills from all mining, hence me wanting to be up once another restart kicks in.

Question being, would anyone be interested in this?

Tribunus

Default Re: MCMMO on restart?

A serious restart would be months away, at least.

Vanilla McMMO wouldn't do anyway, far too many absurdly overpowered and/or "cheat" skills, and assuming that the plug-in guys have the time to appropriately balance it, test it and then make it work with all the other specific variations on mods that server already uses. It'd be a mammoth task.

Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman2051 View Post
    With factions like frostguard and vaeron (think lathreate and amgarrack) starting to appear, I think we entering the final third of the map's life. I predict 2-3 months.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Im against anything that penalises new players.

While I think it'd be cool, I agree with mm. It would be quite overpowered for the people that play the server since the plugin gets installed whereas new people/factions with new people would get kinda screwed.
    One of the things I've noticed is our server tries to keep things as balanced as possible for new people and the people that have played awhile. All the people that have played so far since the beginning of this map would pretty much have everything maxed out. The xp system (longer you play, stronger you get) kind of things have distinctly turned me away from other servers because you may think you're doing well, but then some guy that has been on the server for months comes and steam rolls you over. It'd be too big of a balancing task to realistically expect our admins to do.

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    With factions like frostguard and vaeron (think lathreate and amgarrack) starting to appear, I think we entering the final third of the map's life. I predict 2-3 months.
    New factions has absolutely nothing to do with map resets.

@Magicman2051
    The closest you can get to "cheating" with this plugin would be grinding, which is only practical with one of the skills

@The Hedge Knight
    With this plugin, it's impossible to penalize new players, reason being is that everyone plays differently. So what that miner over there is at level 500 Mining? He's only level 10 with Swords, while you're at level 250! He can get diamonds, then you can kill him in one shot then steal his diamonds.

Tribunus

Mining, probably the least impressive skill tree, has Blast Mining which is essentially just super fortune.

Mining, probably the least impressive skill tree, has Blast Mining which is essentially just super fortune.
    And your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-P7 View Post
    @Magicman2051
    The closest you can get to "cheating" with this plugin would be grinding, which is only practical with one of the skills

@The Hedge Knight
    With this plugin, it's impossible to penalize new players, reason being is that everyone plays differently. So what that miner over there is at level 500 Mining? He's only level 10 with Swords, while you're at level 250! He can get diamonds, then you can kill him in one shot then steal his diamonds.
    See its the killing in one-two shots that will make this highly unlikely in its present state to be on the server. Its honestly super imabalanced. And its actually quite easy to get all your skills extremely high if you play since the map starts. Most of the guys on this server have played since its beginning - thats many many months of experience. It completely penalizes new players. When you get to the really high levels, its absurd how imbalanced the plugin gets.

Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy-P7 View Post
    And your point?
    That is neither conducive to fun/balance nor is it in spectrum of play that TWC PVP resides.

Skivvies's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by irelandeb View Post
    Who's Vaeron?

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

mcmmo just doesnt seem to fit with our PVP server to me.
    i also agree with what MM has been saying

Vanilla McMMO wouldn't do anyway, far too many absurdly overpowered and/or "cheat" skills, and assuming that the plug-in guys have the time to appropriately balance it, test it and then make it work with all the other specific variations on mods that server already uses. It'd be a mammoth task.
    I, and likely the rest of my faction, are quitting on restart (not that the 3-5 of us are a big deal). All of this talk about resets across multiple threads bothers me. A new map will only result in a novelty spike in participation as people get to explore and do new things. It will last 2 months and start to drop off... exactly like this server did.

What is needed is sustained playerbase growth and plugin/game design revamp to make pvp more fun and viable, allowing for emergent content generation. This emergent content, if successful, will create a draw for more players, creating a positive feed back loop.

Server resets are band-aides and aspirin, they treat the symptom, but ignore the underlying cancer.

If server is resetting, I'd like to know. I'd essentially stop playing (which is why you shouldnt tell me), but I would appreciate the fore knowledge in planning my gaming activities.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Yes but a server restart is A: required to keep up with updates and new functionality (noone wants to join a server missing features) and B allows for sweeping changes to be implemented fairly.

Needless to say though its not looking likely to restart soon.

Vicarius

As far as I know, we're only going to restart when the TWC plugin or whatever is done. The only people talking about restarts are the ones always doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelmar View Post
    If server is resetting, I'd like to know. I'd essentially stop playing (which is why you shouldnt tell me), but I would appreciate the fore knowledge in planning my gaming activities.

Until you hear the admin team saying it's coming time to restart, its not going to happen. I believe they have mentioned before - only reason for a map reset would be for a huge game update that would make it worth while. Nothing I've seen coming out of mojang requires a new map thus there won't be one.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

My two concerns with MCMMO:

1. It makes it a grind-to-win game. The guy with 500 sword will instagib anyone who hasn't ground their way to the same level. The people who sit for hours every night inherit the earth, everyone else can't compete.

2. Balance issues come to the fore with such a plugin. Triple drops on max mining, 25% dodge chance on max acrobatics, 30% chance to return half damage at max sword, 150% damage ability with swords, free infinity enchant at max archery, double damage at max archery. None of that is remotely balanced. How can you argue new players aren't heavily penalised? New factions like Legion could be wiped out by 1 or 2 of the people that were here for the start of the map if we'd used this plugin.

MMOs are grinding games: the more you play the more you benefit. The problem with MMOs is they take this to the extreme: very few MMOs, and MCMMO is not amongst that few, have a system that is anything short of the top being utterly unbeatable by the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    My two concerns with MCMMO:

1. It makes it a grind-to-win game. The guy with 500 sword will instagib anyone who hasn't ground their way to the same level. The people who sit for hours every night inherit the earth, everyone else can't compete.

2. Balance issues come to the fore with such a plugin. Triple drops on max mining, 25% dodge chance on max acrobatics, 30% chance to return half damage at max sword, 150% damage ability with swords, free infinity enchant at max archery, double damage at max archery. None of that is remotely balanced. How can you argue new players aren't heavily penalised? New factions like Legion could be wiped out by 1 or 2 of the people that were here for the start of the map if we'd used this plugin.

MMOs are grinding games: the more you play the more you benefit. The problem with MMOs is they take this to the extreme: very few MMOs, and MCMMO is not amongst that few, have a system that is anything short of the top being utterly unbeatable by the bottom.

I completely agree with you. However, the plugin won't start tracking stats until the plugin is installed. So if the plugin is installed, everyone starts out even.

This is why I like not having power: People with experience who know what they're talking about can make the right decision. I see that MCMMO will not be on the server, and I'm happy it's for the best.

But one more time of being Devil's Advocate (sorry, can't edit my posts yet), it takes a long time to reach such levels. I used this on my own private server, and even grinding endlessly, I can only get Swords up to level 80. Considering Level 1000 is "maxed out" per skillset, being overpowered is highly unlikely.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

It still gives those who have been around for a few months an arbitrary advantage over the new guy.

Yes, the current server population would start out equals, but that level playing field would rapidly fall away as those who play more and grind more accumulate these perks, and the new guys that join in a month's time are met with an instant disadvantage.

Granted, there is merit to the argument of "Well, those who play more should see benefits", and to that I agree, but benefits of a more abstract kind.

The person who plays more will have more iron and diamond, more ender pearls, potions and golden apples. More land, more experience at the game, bigger and better forts. Those, to me, are "fair" advantages of time investment.

Plain superior damage or bonuses to mining are not that fair. A player with 6 hours under their belt might still beat a player with 6 months under their belt if they can gather up a good gear set in those 6 hours, but in a protracted war the 6 monther will be able to afford his deaths more than a 6-hour player, he'll be able to afford losing some land, he'll have other bases to use, and so on.
    Last edited by Poach; January 18, 2013 at 04:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast