Thread: Are my works protected?

The Last Spartan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Are my works protected?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, or if there is a sticky on this, but basically my question is: Are my works protected? Legally, I mean. A friend of mine who was reading my work brought up a good point and suggested that I submit my works to the Library of Congress for free copyright protection, but it's nowhere near complete and I don't have the means to store all of my works. As paranoid as it seems (and to my distaste) I have to agree with him. There is a very real possibility that anyone can come into the forums and simply steal our work and change up enough things to call it their own.

Any thoughts on the matter?

I just don't want to see my work, or anyone's work, get plagiarized after putting in so much time, effort and heart.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Are my works protected?

I have a similar concern as well. I haven't heard of anyone's being stolen but better safe than sorry.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

I have thought about this myself, and I have to agree. I'm not so much concerned about members plagiarizing my work but rather random guests who can simply cut and paste. It's not as if I plan to publish my writing some day, it's simply that I like to be able to call my writing my own.

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

I have thought about this myself, and I have to agree. I'm not so much concerned about members plagiarizing my work but rather random guests who can simply cut and paste. It's not as if I plan to publish my writing some day, it's simply that I like to be able to call my writing my own.
    I concur.

From the copyright site they say:

Copyright protection actually begins at the moment the work is created on paper, recorded, or otherwise made permanent. However, for certain types of works, registration may be a good idea because you get certain additional benefits. Registration establishes a public record, which is necessary if you need to sue someone in court for infringement. If you win your case, you may also be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees.
    Last edited by Scottish King; January 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

There is of course the risk that people can take your work as one does not need to be registered to read and copy/paste anything posted here. And you may never find it out. If you do find it out though, you can have a claim that it was posted here first because the forum timestamps the post and (privately) the owner can help you prove your real identity in a legal case.

If you are planning to write something for profit or any other gain, I suggest not to post it here. Even if the law would be on your side, you may not need the hassle if something goes wrong. Similarly, don't post anything "academic" you would write to a class.

To give you an example, I wrote my Kievan AAR for more than a year. It's there for others to enjoy, and it would probably not make sense to steal it, because what would one do with it apart from some internet fame elsewhere. But I am also working on a novel based on that story, and it is very unlikely that anything of that would be posted in the CW section.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Spartan View Post
    There is a very real possibility that anyone can come into the forums and simply steal our work and change up enough things to call it their own.
    Such instances are very rare but they do occur.

Also, as some point somebody took Skantarios' AAR and posted somewhere else. It was a short lived attempt because he caught it fast and the mods took care of it.