Thread: Rise of the Scythe (An Iron Island AAR)

Default Rise of the Scythe (An Iron Island AAR)

Well this idea came upon me as I was playing a game of Fire and Blood 0.6 as the Greyjoys. After a few victories over the Riverlands and the fall of Riverrun to Harras Harlaw on turn 19 I decided to try and make an AAR out of the situation since he got adopted by Euron (Faction leader) on turn 28 after both Balon and Victarion died defending Theon in the neck.

The thing that really sealed the deal for an AAR is when Harras became the faction heir on turn 38 after the death of Mark Piper who married Asha. I decided to try and create the rise of the Harlaw dynasty and the fall of the Greyjoys leading to the mighty conquest of the Harlaw Empire.

Rules I am playing by:
    -No Autoresolve
    -Use Fire & Blood 0.6
    -No Taking Advantage of Alliances
    -Declarations of war must take place 3 turns before units move into enemy territory
    -Harras Harlaw must survive to have an of age male heir

Now On turn 40 when I made this I managed to capture Kings Landing for the Ironborn using Harras and Euron died in and epic battle with Tywin outside Crakehall where he slew the lord of the west and was brought down by his second son Tyrion who perished afterwards. I sadly didnt take any screens up to this point because well I wasnt expecting to make an AAR. But Harras Harlaw with 15 HP is far to tempting to resist for me. New posts coming soon with screens!!!

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Rise of the Scythe (An Iron Island AAR)

Sounds awesome!

Also the first FaB AAR

Semisalis

Cool!

The Situation in Westeros 302 AL

This first update will only be a quick update to show you the situation before I go into true detail and get all nitty gritty. Dont worry more to come!

Quick Overview
    The entire continent is in turmoil. Robert, though succsessful in eradicating both King Viserys and his heir in 299 AL did so with the loss of his brother Stannis and his son Joffery upon Tarth. Soon after King Robert died marching against the Vale who refused to surrender the fight in the name of the Targaryens and called for utter independence.

Meanwhile Eddard began to move against the aggresive Ironborn that had attack the North, Riverlands and Westerlands. In conjunction with a host from the twins Theon (having fled Winterfell) was trapped inside Seaguard. His father Balon and his uncle Victarion gathered the majority of the Ironborn forces including Harras Harlaw. During the battle Theon was killed. His father Balon slain by a well placed arrow and Victarion was only brought down after heavy fighting where he and his men held up the entire North/Riverland host giving the Ironborn, now led by Sir Harlaw to regroup and counter. In a stunning upset Harras Harlaw managed to kill Ned Stark and the Captain of the Riverlands leading to the enemy rout and Harras being adopted into the Greyjoy family now led by Euron.

The Lannisters fought the Tyrells after the latter, along with both Hightower and Redwynes declared for the Targaryens. Martell, in a remarkable show sided with Robert and managed to occupy the three Reach factions, send a token force to Tarth that helped with the battle there, and keep the traitor Yronwoods tied up to the south.

In 301 AL the Lannisters were shockingly destroyed in several battles outside Casterly Rock and Lannisport by the Ironmen fleet and the force of ruthless men led by King Euron. Harras continued his fight in the Riverlands capturing Riverrun, and Harrenhall among other castles and towns. He took the fight to the Crownlands in the late half of the year eventually capturing Kings landing and destroying the Baratheons. Out of rage Renly moved against him...

Here are a few screens of the south for now...

[/IMG]

Here are a few of the screens I attempted to upload! I will catch up with an update soon!

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-dude View Post
    Nice!
    Well It will be tommorow now. I spent almost two hours typing only to have my computer randomly crash and delete the text file along... I was soooo close to being done...

I decided to create a shorter version of the draft I had before.
    The story portions of the AAR will be written from the flashbacks of Harras Harlaw to avoid the unnecessary HUGE backstory I would have to explain multiple times if I used different characters...

The Rise of the Scythe

Chapter 1 (298 AL Theon Flees Winterfell and The Ironborn Strike)

Harras Harlaw remembered the day the Targaryens landed on Tarth. News reached the Isles as quickly as everywhere else. He was in the yard doing what he could no longer recall. Lord Rodrik had summoned him to the main hall with everyone else to hear the news. Within the next month the Ironborn had begun to move. Immediately sailing towards the Riverlands Harras, along with Victarion and the other Ironborn generals, eagerly awaited their chance.

Soon all of Westeros would be in a state of utter chaos. Minor lords would break pact with their leaders to side with the enemy hoping for reward. Every sellsword in half the world would be sailing for the continent to earn riches and rewards. The Ironborn counted on it. Their numbers were far to few to ever hope to carve out a Kingdom of their own without the added spears and arrows of the traitorous sellswords. Harras had already sent ahead and had recruited 500 to wait at the expected landing point for the men of Harlaw, south of Seaguard near Oldstones. By his arrival he hoped a thousand would be awaiting him. The one trouble he truely had was the leadership of Balon. He held a deep hatred for the north and Baratheons that could easily turn the tide against the Ironborn if he let his emotions rule him.

Far to the north in Winterfell Theon had sent a raven to his father telling of his escape but the gathering of huge Stark and Bolton forces, near thirty five thousand men were to gather and meet Lord Eddard in the Riverlands for an assault on any allies of the Targareyns. Additionally, Rodrik Cassel was pursueing him with a hundred picked men at arms. Harras had never truely knew Theon but he knew of the rage Balon would display if his last son was killed by the Starks. Even Asha Greyjoy was with the huge Iron Fleet. Her duty to her father was to marry Mark Piper and make him break his oath of loyalty to the Tullys along with as many of his men as he could.

His ship and those of his men made landfall and to his great joy Harras found his sellswords. Almost twenty five hundred brigands and sellswords eager for loot joined under his three thousand man command. Before he could set off to set the Tully army to disarray he recieved a Raven telling of the coming of Balon and Aeron Greyjoy to join the war. This news was completely unmoving to the only knight the Ironborn had. He torn the paper to bits and continued on. Within a few weeks the shores of the Riverlands stretching from the Cape of Eagles to the Westerlands was teeming with Ironborn and sellswords numbering fifteen thousand. Theon had managed to reach the Greenfork without incident but crossing the river he nearly died by a Frey scouting party.

When Theon reached Seaguard he met with Dagmer Cleftjaw. The force that had taken the castle by surprise had mostly moved on to reave the villages. Only Dagmer and his personal guard and remained to guard and resupply the Ironborn. It was in mid summer when things grew dark. News had reached Harlaw that greaty disturbed him. Eddard Stark was moving north to meet with his host moving down the neck to join with the Riverlands and to crush the forces of Darry who had sided with the Targaryens and the now present Ironborn. His force, currently besieging the makeshift remains of Oldstones, needed to take the city quickly and assemble the scattared Ironborn force to strike Riverrun before the Tullys could react, so far they had been assembling men at Raventree and the Twins to deal with the Ironborn but another force at Harrenhall to combat Darry and the unsure Arryns who seemed to be leaning towards the new Targaryens as leaders.

However is capture of the castle took far to long. He met up with Balon, Victarion, and Aeron only in time enough to march to the aid of the already besieged Seaguard. Through a clever ruse Eddard had lured the Iron Fleet south towards the Banefort where it was said the Lannisters were gathering a fleet to assault Pyke. The Battle of Seaguard was about to begin.

The Ironborn were not full field fighters but both Harras and Victarion knew that they were soldiers. These were not men taken from the farm, given a spear and told to march. His sellswords were all more loyal to the coin he could provide through the looting that to the war of the Baratheons and Targaryens. When the Ironborn finally arrived to see an army of twenty thousand Northmen, four thousand Freys and eleven thousand Riverlanders already attacking Seaguard Harras Harlaw waited for no order. Leading his small force of bodyguard heavy cavalry directly into the enemy he managed to reach the allied force before the remaining Ironborn, who through shame of being named a coward followed. After the initial push and the sight of Dagmer being thrown over the top of the main gatehouse after a last stand the Ironmen wavered. Balon his two brothers attempted to rally the men but to no real avail. After a few minutes Balon took a stray arrow to the eye and fell dead instantly.

Victarion, in a rage and an attempt to save the Ironborn force led his men to hold the enemy tide back after the fleeing Ironborn. Harras managed to rally the remaining men and lead them to save their beloved Lord Captain. Harras arrived a moment to late just as Victarion himself was overwhelmed. However the silver lining showed. Harras charged forward and defeated Eddard Stark. He lifted the dead Lord Of Winterfells head upon his lance and immediately the enemy fled in his wake. The battle was won by his sword and his sword alone....

No updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Badger-dude View Post
    No updates?
    My computer crashed and burned so I was forced to get a new one :/ As you can imagine this puts the AAR to an end. Just as it was getting interesting...