Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Default Re: Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

Christmas Part II

This morning has been a slightly cheery affair, as I had a gargantuan English breakfast to munch my way through….my first Christmas treat to myself.

I am now following it up by some tortuous hours ‘toiling’ at my desk before departing to meet up with some old friends who will be tucking into a full Christmas dinner, the thought of which was too much for me, as I have another Christmas lunch to contend with tomorrow, so I have opted for lunch of a more liquid kind. Namely a pint or two of (I hope) decent Guinness.

Travelling on the train on the way into work this morning, you can already sense a change in the atmosphere that I share with my equally depressed and irritable commuters, by which I mean that things seem a tad happier, now don’t get me wrong, people aren’t wearing Santa hats, elf ears or reindeer antlers, but you can just tell that people are looking forward to that most august of Christmas traditions….the lie in.

For those of you unfamiliar with this most ancient of Anglo-Saxon customs, I shall endeavour to explain it. In short, it is that joyous time, when you wake automatically at the usual time of the morning, only to realise that there is no alarm clock to sound at you, no bleary eyed stumbling to the bathroom and that no travelling is needed by foot, cycle, car or train.

You then turn over and fall blissfully back to sleep. That is a lie in.

And it is the best part of Christmas.
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 20, 2013 at 03:56 AM.

Christmas part III

Well, it’s not particularly Christmassy, but this morning I had a brief chat with a friend who had very recently proposed to his other half; and she has accepted.

I was pleased for him and his lovely fiancée; and pleased for me that another mortal soul will soon be being joining me by being firmly under the thumb.

Only joking folks…..or actually, am I?!

Meanwhile back on the Christmas agenda, I now face Christmas lunch today at a very respectable hotel not far from Buckingham Palace, I have had the luck to eat there on several occasions before, and the food is always great. However it will be dry occasion as I will be driving shortly afterwards; ho hum, never mind.

Yesterday you will remember I opted for a Guinness lunch; sadly I have to report that my one and only pint was sub-standard, which was why it was my one and only pint.

More festive fare served up tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Christmas part IV (or Thursday’s a day late)

My apologies but I was rather remiss and did not post a Christmas update yesterday…so here is yesterdays post…err…today as it were.

So anyway, Wednesday’s lunch was rather nice, but by the end of it, Old Rex he could have done with a nap I’ll tell you. Rich food does that to a man of certain age don’t you know, it was the usual Duck starter, Turkey with all the trimmings and a nice apple tart (although they fancied it up with a French title.)

I’m quite please with myself as apart from gorging on a full English breakfast and the gargantuan sized Christmas lunch above I’ve been reasonably restrained consumption wise. Still we haven’t really hit Christmas proper yet have we, so I won’t get too carried away with my temperance.

But, I have with great fortitude and not a little bit of reluctance managed to work out three times this week, so that’s not bad is it?

Christmas part V

So at last I have reached Friday, although in saying that the week had rather galloped by at a canter I tell you.

So I started this morning with my 3rd workout of the week; which although I would rather have been laying down sleeping somewhere I did manage to start at 7.45am, some body weight exercises, weight training and shadow boxing and here I am a couple of hours later feeling invigorated…so I’ve treated myself to a chocolate donut….I’m sure I am going wrong somewhere, but I can’t pin it down…

I have realised that in reading these last entries people may get the impression that I am obsessed with food…well I do like it…and it is Christmas isn’t it?!

Anyway I am now looking forwards to the end of the working day and a whole two weeks of not being in the office. Oh what joy the Christmas season brings!
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 20, 2013 at 03:57 AM.

Christmas part V (Saturday, Sunday & Monday)

I have again let you down dear readers (is there anybody there by the way?) by failing to update my Christmas diary - so I have deceided to update you all in one hit; about the last three days - to bring you bang up to date as it were.

Saturday I recall going out for the weekly shop, oh what fun... then taking the dog for a walk in the freezing cold. But avoiding most Christmas duties!

Sunday I recall a visit to cemetary to visit the dear departed, not particularly joyful but has to be done. Other than that a relatively free Christmas zone.

Monday I am sitting down typing this out whilst congratulating myself on managing to avoid most things Christmas and getting in some quality gaming time whilst still managing to keep the 'Boss' happy.

I see also that my esteemed colleague McScottish is now writing a blog, it should be a good read, and I see already he is threatening to swamp the boards in quality AARs, come on people start writing and save us from the unthinkable!!
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 24, 2013 at 09:54 AM.

Christmas part VI (Christmas Eve - or Tuesday)

Well we have one day to go until Santa arrives, no doubt laden with all the latest gadgets and what not...

To tell you a secret, I'm secretly looking forward to Christmas day now; I look forward as ever to stuffing my face with the usual Christmas dinner and the usual post farting ceremony that will ensue...and not necesarily from dear old Rex here...still I shall as ever endavour to compete.

I shall be having dinner with relatives on both of the festive days this year, which is nice as I get away from cooking duties; bloody good job too as I could burn water. And very fortunately Mrs Rex is an excellent cook so I don't even have to practice my culinary skills at another time of the year.

In answer to my blog posts, Shankbot asks me why I train and why in the morning? in answer I am a creature of habit, have always trained thus and it sort of sets me up for the day. I train for roughly about 45mins -1 hour 4 times a week, that suits me fine.

Diocle has also asked me to write a jean le carre/robert ludlum style tale....maybe I will write a sample chapter and see how it goes.

Christmas part VII (Christmas Day arrives)

And Lo, it arrives, Christmas day that is.

Merry Christmas one and all!

On the update front I've been up and walked the dog, who presented me with his own form of Christmas log...and, I've since had breakfast and opened my Christmas prezzies, which consists of a couple of good books, chocs, iTunes vouchers, a DVD and a hoody. Oh and a packet of nuts, which is a long standing joke between a friend and me.

Not a bad haul, as I 'm pretty bah humbug about the festivities.

A short update as it it Christmas day after all!

Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

And take a deep breath as Christmas is over and we all return to work/college/school/university*

*delete as applicable

Anyhow, old Rex had a decent break, although it did seem to go by at light speed. This is my post Christmas checklist;

· Got fatter – Yes
    · Played games – Yes
    · Exercised – No
    · Any writing done – No
    · Met with relatives – Yes
    · Watched series 5 of Sons of Anarchy (my guilty pleasure) - yes

As you can see a bit of a mixed bag results wise, I had really hoped to do some writing but produced nothing/zero/zilch/nada….

I have had some thoughts about what I will write though, so I guess that is something to work with. We shall see huh?

After rather a long spell away from writing, I thought I might give it a go again. So find below the first chapter for 'A Tale of Rome' Book two...not a very catchy title I know Enjoy...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?519136-Tale-of-Rome-Book-Two-Chapter-1-(UPDATE)&p=15394764&viewfull=1#post15394764

Hopefully I will post something more enlightening in future updates to my blog, as I wish to scribble some more stories for my own enjoyment at least!

Its nice to be back.

This time a short story following the aftermath of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion in Scotland. Let me know if you enjoy it.

Rex

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15396752

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12