Thread: Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Default Re: Thoughts of the Rex or rather the lack of them...

Christmas Part II

This morning has been a slightly cheery affair, as I had a gargantuan English breakfast to munch my way through….my first Christmas treat to myself.

I am now following it up by some tortuous hours ‘toiling’ at my desk before departing to meet up with some old friends who will be tucking into a full Christmas dinner, the thought of which was too much for me, as I have another Christmas lunch to contend with tomorrow, so I have opted for lunch of a more liquid kind. Namely a pint or two of (I hope) decent Guinness.

Travelling on the train on the way into work this morning, you can already sense a change in the atmosphere that I share with my equally depressed and irritable commuters, by which I mean that things seem a tad happier, now don’t get me wrong, people aren’t wearing Santa hats, elf ears or reindeer antlers, but you can just tell that people are looking forward to that most august of Christmas traditions….the lie in.

For those of you unfamiliar with this most ancient of Anglo-Saxon customs, I shall endeavour to explain it. In short, it is that joyous time, when you wake automatically at the usual time of the morning, only to realise that there is no alarm clock to sound at you, no bleary eyed stumbling to the bathroom and that no travelling is needed by foot, cycle, car or train.

You then turn over and fall blissfully back to sleep. That is a lie in.

And it is the best part of Christmas.
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 20, 2013 at 03:56 AM.