Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Nation would you play first?

Herr Lindstrom's Avatar Semisalis

Default Which Nation would you play first?

Hello Comrades!

Seeing that all the units look stunning, I figured that while we all wait in anticipation for the next update, we can chat about the nations that we'd choose to play as and why. Then perhaps devise our start game strategies.

I personally am at a stalemate between Serbia and Belgium. Both are very small nations that fought tenaciously against the odds (even though Belgium was whipped out in the beginning ). Though I admittedly I am leaning towards Serbia more, because of the landlocked situation, Austria to the north and west, and Bulgaria (a potential threat) to the east . My main Strategy would most likely go on the offensive in the hopes that the Austrians see Russia as a primary threat and dedicate most of its resources and manpower against them. My first goal would be Budapest and then mop up Croatia afterwards. This way I gain access to another major city and a port as soon as possible. This also guarantees that if Bulgaria were to declare war I would not have to worry about being pinned into a corner with Belgrade as my only major City. And even if they do seize Belgrade I can at least launch a counter attack. Also, since all that i'd leave defending Belgrade would be predominantly militia, I'd still expect to inflict numerous casualties on the Bulgarians since the battle AI is rather elementary

As for the rest of the war. I'll just have to wait and see once the next release is ready

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Default Re: Which Nation would you play first?

good choice. not easy. like germany in very small .
    a 2 front war against a even faction and a huge faction that could steamroll you with manpower.

sadly its going to last a while till you will be able to play as minor nations.
    as it seems at the moment. cuz im a very startpos-noob

I have no worries. I truthfully believe in your abilities to do an excellent job on the campaign map. If the units look as beautiful as they are now then the campaign map will look spectacular.

in fact i wanna fix a few glitches at the unit models
    you think improved roads(higher movement improvement) and late ETW technologies and buildings are ok youŽd probably like it

I think that basic roads (or none at all) would be better for the western front to simulate the devastation done to the roads and terrain. However, I think the Eastern front and all of Germany should have more advanced roads. After all, It was the sophisticated Railroad system that the Germans had that crushed two Russian armies at Teutoberg forest, and the fact that the Germans were able to rapidly transfer their armies from one front to the other. As for the Middle east and the Balkans, I believe basic roads or none at all would also be Ideal. Would make it more strategically important to launch amphibious assaults, and to simulate the effect on armies marching through the desert.

Sir Mano's Avatar Civis

Belgium ofcourse !
    (even though Belgium was whipped out in the beginning )

I f you haven't clicked on one of these images, there is something wrong with you

well. when bunkers turn out to be completely useless against german arty, then you can talk about "whipped out"

I only meant Belgium was whipped out in terms of the fact that Germany over ran the country. Which leads me to ask this question; I think it would be a good idea to give France some sort of "Belgian Legion" units to simulate the fact that the Belgian army is still around to help resist and liberate their occupied country. If France does have a Belgian unit then forgive my ignorance since it is difficult to know which units are which without unit cards, or even unit card descriptions.

If there was an emergent Syrian faction then I will play it because it is my country or maybe emergent Poland but if none were existed in the first release due to not having an emergent factions startpos then I will play as Austria-Hungary or Spain and then try to build a Spanish empire !

there wont be syria, sry. because there was no real riot or independence movement afak.
    emergent poland is easy to make. but this will be added when all the others are done as a little bonus

its a quite interesting scenario isnt it? what if spain entered ww1?

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    there wont be syria, sry. because there was no real riot or independence movement afak.
    emergent poland is easy to make. but this will be added when all the others are done as a little bonus

its a quite interesting scenario isnt it? what if spain entered ww1?
    O common the Franco Syrian war don't you know it ? here more on the history of Syria it all began in 1920
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Kingdom_of_Syria
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco%E2%80%93Syrian_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Maysaloun2.jpg
    BTW their clothes had a sandy color
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_o...4%E2%80%931930)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusuf_al-Azmah
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_...0%E2%80%931958)

well,i know it, but 1920 is when our campaign would most probably end
    and i fear there are not enough faction slots to cover the in-fact arising nations like czechoslovakia, poland, arabia, armenia, jugoslavia, hungary, mexico(revolution), ireland, etc.

I think even country as Spain could be interesting to play - you could try to recapture Cuba from US or invade south America... throw the western allies off balance a little bit.. the unit roster for Spain looks good .. would be a shame not to put them in action But most likely i will start with Russia and try to press home some human wave bayonet attacks against machine guns ... or as Germany to do the opposite.
    But right now its time to hybernate and wait for the release of this great mod.

Quote Originally Posted by PunitorMaximus View Post
    well,i know it, but 1920 is when our campaign would most probably end
    and i fear there are not enough faction slots to cover the in-fact arising nations like czechoslovakia, poland, arabia, armenia, jugoslavia, hungary, mexico(revolution), ireland, etc.
    There are 56 factions ? right?
    I think that there should be enough slots
    1-USA already in
    2-UK already in
    3-France same
    4-Ottomans same
    5-Russia same
    6-Persia =
    7-Sweden=
    8-Denmark=
    9-Norway=
    10-NL=
    11-Austria=
    12-Spain=
    13-Portugal=
    14-Poland=
    15-Ireland=
    16-well I don't really think that we need Scotland I think you should replace it with Serbia
    17-Prussia or Germany=
    18-Piedmont Savoy can be replaced with Romania
    19-Malta can be replaced by czechoslovakia and of course there is already a Czech language sound file in ETW I believe right?
    20-Crimea can be replaced by either Ukraine or Serbia I personally prefer Serbia
    21-Genoa can be replaced by the Baltic republics or Lithuania
    22-Morocco can be replaced by Syria?
    23-Barbary States can be replaced by hmm Finland ? but of course you need to change the language and culture of that faction in the factions dbe menu ?
    24-Mamelukes can be replaced by of course Egypt
    25-Thirteen Colonies can be replaced by Canada
    26-Louisiana can be replaced by the Mexican revolt
    27-New Spain can be replaced by Venzuela
    28-Colombia is already in
    29-Mexico is already in
    30-Pueblo nations can be replaced with Panama
    Guatemala,Cuba and even Panama should receive direct rule from USA I suppose
    31-Bavaria as emergent is nice I think not historically accurate tho
    32-Mysore should be changed to the British_Raj however the UK can still control Bijapur and Ahmadabad
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Raj
    33-Maratha with Armenia
    34-Georgia already in
    35-Papal states should be changed to Italy
    36-Greece already in
    37-Venice should be replaced with perhaps the Republic of Turkey and they should be emergent in Anatolia
    38-Napels and Sicaly should be replaced with Yougoslavia but this quite tricky tho
    There are still many factions to go I think AFAIK there are still faction slots correct me if I was wrong
    I know that the campaign ends in 1920 but there was some wars in 1920 the Polish soviet war for example, IMO including these wars is essential .

yep. russian civil war plus polish-soviet war is planned

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

I'd probably choose Austria so I can the Serbs and Russians who's boss! (Germany will help right )
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

sure
    with the finest guns and helmets available. and military advise.
    but watch out your czech or romanian troops would flee or fight for the enemy before contact
    that was the essential problem of austria.
    morale and a slight lack of zeppelins, airplanes and motorized stuff.
    rifles were fine, arty and uniforms too. so was the majority of generals.
    but you can imagine how likely romanians would be to fight the guys with the same language and stuff. and how much the czechoslovaks liked to kill other slavs that they understood way better than every austrian.
    this was the reason why there were no own czech or romanian legions. in contrary to the respective polish and even ukrainian legion who traditionaly didnt like the russians.
    and the hungarians had their own army anyways. the bosnians also fought for the austrians in their own unique uniforms cuz there was an old enemity with the serbians and ottomans.
    thats all about austria-hungary so far

ComnenusTheOne's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    I'd probably choose Austria so I can the Serbs and Russians who's boss! (Germany will help right )
    You mean watch your pityful nowadays empirelette crumble under the weight of your own people not tolerating the german yoke upon themselves anymore?

My first choice would be France. Then Srbija. Then Grekoland.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Yes the Austrians got messed up with all the internal problems but makes for a great challenge!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Probably most definitely the US. I'll let Europe rot and go beat the out of Mexico and every other Latin American country I can get my hands on, then send the now massive American army across the pond and bring George Bush's secret evil plan to conquer the world to life!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast