Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Release: Beta3 of MapAnalysator

Marcellus Trajanus's Avatar Civis

Default Release: Beta3 of MapAnalysator

Beta3 of the MapAnalysator tool

Ever had the problem of finding coordinates, names and the regions color for sites in a map_region file? Annoyed about useful information being split up between map_regions.tga and descr_regions? Well, recently I did and so I've decided to write a little programm that links that information.

*** Features:
    >> Automated analysis of a bitmapped map_regions anywhere on your computer
    >> Delivers R:TW coordinates for any site found
    >> Analysis of a suitable descr_regions.txt for further information like regions names etc
    >> Overview over the map and where it's towns and ports are located
    >> Added Resource list to the listing at the bottom (there you go, MasterOfNone )
    >> SiteCrosshair: Click a region in the listing and - bam! - have it pointed out on the map with circles showing its exact position
    (thought one might welcome that as few among us can tell r/g/b of 24bit colors from seeing them )

*** New in Beta3

>>> SiteCrosshair v2 : New Crosshair, region name printed aside (if applicable)
    >>> Site Details shown in an extra form
    >>> export options revisited: CSV and site list like export format options
    >>> added progressbar to keep track of the analysing procedure's progress

And That's what it looks like in action :

Though the map has to be converted to bitmap due to the fact that VB6 can't handle *.tga files it'll save you a lot of time as it typically completes even large scale maps in less then five seconds with only 1-2% inaccuracy if it has a bad day, giving you either a small overview over the map or an idea were to place units :wink: .

*** known Issues (remember: It's beta :wink: )
    >> Map has to be converted from tga to bmp as VB6 doesn't know how to handle tga's (VB.NET might do so)
    >> Few inaccuracies concerning color codes and region names (typically around 1% percent or less per map)
    >> Examining the same map time after time might result in an incomplete list in the lower part of the window

It's beta and might not function perfectly but it might lend a useful hand to once-i-a-while modders (including myself :wink: ). Anyone wanting to try it and give feed back might download the attachment. It should work fine on any pc (at least with XP on it), concluding from test here with me.

Kindest regards,
    Marcellus
    Last edited by Marcellus Trajanus; August 17, 2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: new version, typos

Maced0n's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Release: Beta of MapAnalysator

Great tool Marcellus !
    I yust try it and its working well.

bravo!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Looks like it could be useful - I'd be very interested if it can be made to incorporate trade and hidden resources (or at least descr_region-declared resources). Is this possible?
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Nice to see it wasn't done all for nothing and someone else than me can make use of it

@ Macedon
    Great to hear that

@ MasterOfNone
    You mean to alter the programm that it also includes the resources it finds in descr_regions.txt into it's list? Shouldn't be the problem, I'll try that on right away monday (my girlfriend will kill me if my weekend isn't completely here's ). I am already planning something "bigger" - the MapAnalysator should only made that list at first - handling more files, more information, and become some sort of Access database application.
    That prooved to be a little complicated though 'cause of certain "Access doesn't like to handle so many tables" (it were just nine of'em ) crashes but I'll try it anyway .

Happy weekend to all and expect to see some more next week,
    Marcellus

Stuie's Avatar Laudir Agus Mir

Excellent tool! I'm so sick of manually finding settlement coordinates - this will be EXTREMELY useful.

Thanks!

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Stuie
    Excellent tool! I'm so sick of manually finding settlement coordinates - this will be EXTREMELY useful.

Thanks!
    Yeah. I second that... Just trying to convert mm3 map manually to BI takes almost all my free time.. :tooth:

Great tool probably on the same level as xpax..

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

I second Stuie's and Lestat's opinion. You might have made my life a lot easier with this utility. Thanks a lot.

MapAnalysator - Second Beta

As promised today's the day of Beta 2 of MapAnalysator. Re-did a bit of the shape, made it wider to get more space for the listing at the bottom, added new features.

*** New Features
    >> Added Resource list to the listing at the bottom (there you go, MasterOfNone )
    >> SiteCrosshair : Click a region in the listing and - bam! - have it pointed out on the map with circles showing its exact position
    (thought one might welcome that as few among us can tell r/g/b of 24bit colors from seeing them )

*** New Issues
    >> None as far as I can say . If anyone finds some post it right away

*** Fixed Issues
    >> Reduced inaccuracies when finding sites. Still no 100% solution but it works even better now

See first post for updated attachment

Kindest regards,
    Marcellus

btw: Who do I have to bribe to get that "upload file" function working in the downloads section? When I try to login to upload anything it says "username not found or password wrong". can't be, I'm logged in with the same data right now and that works
    Last edited by Marcellus Trajanus; August 14, 2006 at 11:48 AM.
    Have a map and want a brief overview over it's list of regions, the coordinates of ports and towns?
    Tired of working out R:TW compatible coordinates for descr_strat by hand? MapAnalysator might help.
    Curious? Then have a look @
    >> The MapAnaylsator Thread <<
    Now with SiteCrosshair

Default Re: Release: Beta2 of MapAnalysator

Good work!! Thank you very much. Keep going ^^

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

man this is one of the most helpful tools for me great job!!

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

Maced0n's Avatar Domesticus

Hello again Marcellus Trajanus

Its good in save results in found_sites.txt
    to have also regions names,settlement name, resources
    i mean same like is shown in MapAnalysator.

Okay, I'll start implementing :happy0144 as soon as I'm home again. And maybe I can think of another way handling the text file output. Something like chosing between the options "print site list to file" and "make real csv list".

Anyone else has some wishes on his mind?
    Have a map and want a brief overview over it's list of regions, the coordinates of ports and towns?
    Tired of working out R:TW compatible coordinates for descr_strat by hand? MapAnalysator might help.
    Now with SiteCrosshair

vikrant's Avatar The Messiah of innocence

here are some reps
    great tool
    Under the Patronage of CHANDRASHEKHAR AZAD {prarara}
    patron of selenius4tsd ; tornnight
    use report button to help us keep twc clean

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Yep, great tool - a way of printing the results (or saving to a file to print) is important; and ports do not need to duplicate information in the city lines. For example, no need to know resources of port region as it is covered in the city region line.

Rep points
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Oh, right . I'll alter this behaviour and just will change the settlement name to "port of xyz" aswell. The exports are almost ready, as soon as I'm back home this time and get that *********g progress bar to work ... come one, proggi, you're as good as done :illgetyou

Thanks for the rep and - almost more important - for your feedback and ideas, guys :happy0144
    Now with SiteCrosshair

@marcellus
    very helpful tool !!
    please could you include:
    - the faction relation for each region
    - the mercenary pool relation for each region
    - the program can store the last path to the descr_strat file

thanks a lot

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

If I get you right you mean it should also get the information which region is owned be which faction from the descr_strat? Well, if so it might take some time. I'll think about adding that feature.
    Now with SiteCrosshair

Default Release: Beta3 of MapAnalysator

Hi there, it's time for an update, isn't it?

MapAnalysator Beta3 released

*** New features
    (I'm sooo proud no new bad problems occured)
    • SiteCorsshair v2 : New Crosshair, region name printed aside (if applicable)
    • Site Details shown in an extra form
    • export options revisited: CSV and site list like export format options
    • added progressbar to keep track of the analysing procedure's progress

Picture update:

See first post for attachment update

*** Things planned for Beta4 (no release date yet)
    • implementing an options system, including saving preferences like prefered working directory, export options and stuff like that
    • more export options (there's much space in that options form for new stlyes) if anyone has another format worth adding

Kindest regards,
    Marcellus
    Now with SiteCrosshair

Default Re: Release: Beta3 of MapAnalysator

bravo, bravo

and continue

repman

BareBonesWars 8.1 for RTW 1.5
    Integration Mod which combines unique strategic challenges due to a 4 Season scripted campaign from 280 BC - 180 AD on several big/small maps and with an ruthless AI on the battlefield.
    Deus lo Vult DLV 6.2 for MTW II Kingdoms
    Norway+Ireland+Flanders+Kiev+Lithuania+Teutonic_Order+Armenia+Crusader+Georgia,1y2t script, army field costs, Ultimate AI 1.6, big map, military career, economic system, age simulation, heraldic system, new factions, garrison script, Crowns + Swords, Trait bugfixer, religion dependent recruiting, ancillary enhancements, darth battle mechanics

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Default Re: Release: Beta3 of MapAnalysator

I must be missing something. Isn't BrandonM's descr_strat editor capable of exactly this (and in fact, quite a bit more)?
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast