Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sieges (Attacking)

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Sieges (Attacking)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Yeah, but that's sort of like 30 Spartans only having to fight 30 Persians at a time. Who do you think would win even if the odds were 1:100?
    And what? Even if the scale is 150 you can still bring 100 Spartans to fight 150 Persians (castle siege rarely go beyond that). The only part is initial breakthrough which is heavily depended on you alone, but once that is done nothing can stop your army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

You argue too much, hellheaven. Just accept that I am right. Diamat is always right, for his awesomeness illuminates the world!

You argue too much, hellheaven. Just accept that I am right. Diamat is always right, for his awesomeness illuminates the world!
    And just what are you trying to prove that you're right about? He presented his legitimate idea, and it's up to you whether or not to take his advice. You don't have to call him a cheat and try to prove yourself right about it(which I didn't catch how you did).

On the other hand though, Nords have always gotten the job done for me, but definitely use the Rhodok Crossbowmen. They work like charms. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Madness View Post
    And just what are you trying to prove that you're right about? He presented his legitimate idea, and it's up to you whether or not to take his advice. You don't have to call him a cheat and try to prove yourself right about it(which I didn't catch how you did).
    I didn't call him a cheat. I wasn't trying to prove myself right, since Diamat does not need to prove himself right, for he is always right.

I'm just joking around, dude.

I appreciate everyone's help, even if they're wrong.

I didn't call him a cheat. I wasn't trying to prove myself right, since Diamat does not need to prove himself right, for he is always right.

I'm just joking around, dude.

I appreciate everyone's help, even if they're wrong.
    Ah, okay sorry then, friend. It's hard to distinguish the mood of text. But whatever.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Huscarls + sharpshooters are the ultimate combination for sieges. Position the huscarls in one line in front of the castle, then the sharpshooters behind, shoot them to bits, then assault.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

It is too difficult to train a Huscarl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Huscarls + sharpshooters are the ultimate combination for sieges. Position the huscarls in one line in front of the castle, then the sharpshooters behind, shoot them to bits, then assault.
    How do you get them to be in a line?

How do you get them to be in a line?
    Command the infantry to hold the position right in front of the castle, then take a few steps back and command the archers to hold the position as well. They'll both automatically spread out into one long line.

HAHAHA! I can't wait to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    It is good, and it is kinda cheap.
    Just be aware that each time you run retreat counts as a defeat, and your party will lose morale because of it.
    No, just the opposite. You gain morale if you kill large and loose few man. For example, you shoot down 75 enemy and lost 2 men your party gains +16 morale. Numbers are just made up.

I use that too. Mass rodok sharpshooters and shoot them to death. Bolt storm is so furious that even shields of Nords crack open and soldiers without shield get another bolt right into their faces.

I usually use bow for roleplay if enemy a bow nation in order to use their used arrows. I change to crossbow if enemy using crossbow but it is possible to use all time crossbow since you have Rodoks right behind you and you can use used bolts. Just collect bolts and shoot anyone. Make them count. Then, order your men to go away from castle and leave. You don't get morale penalty if you kill good number of enemy your party morale will rise.

One more trick that I move to just too close to wall and enemy will try to turn to me. I make their backs to my archers and lets the death rain pour at their backs.

The worst enemy is Rodoks. This tactic is not good against them. Their archers bend and that makes them hard to shoot down and rodok sharpshooters will rain death over you and your men. I hate to fight them while they on walls. The only advice take good number of infantry assault the wall. Even though this will be a blood bath.

I also noticed that when I stand by myself on the ladder, close to the wall, the enemies will lower their shields trying to charge me, allowing me to easily gun them down with my bow. I killed close to 100 enemies like this in one battle, all by myself. I feel like a cheater doing this though. But it's fun. Pop, pop, pop - the arrow goes into the head.

You mean this ?

Yep. That's it.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Not really, it's sort of like super skirmishing until the enemy is all skirmished out.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I play with the Sword of Damocles mod, and I usually use heavy infantry. Since I attack castles only when all or over 80% of my soldiers are elite, I lose few men. God will let the worthy live.

I rarely attack or start a siege by myself, only because they always end up badly for me (unless I am part of a army-offensive, then I just join in late).

Usually, I just let my troops go on, without any directions, and the rest is a blood bath.
    But the advice in this thread is great. I'll experiment more with controlling my units during sieges, and fielding saranid archers (currently training some in my game) and Vaegir guards (have a lot of them, and I am currently playing for vaegirs)

I have some Huscarls but not in any significant numbers so I am keeping them in castles near the front line, I'd rather not lose any.
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

If you can't manage to enter enemy castle and losing to much soldiers -and you don't want to lose any- just send them to corner of the map. All defenders gonna turn their face towards your soldiers but since they're in the corner of the map, they can't shoot your men.

In this time, you gonna sneak into enemy castle. Don't enter castle, just stay at ladder and shoot whoever you see. One by one, just hunt them. Then collect arrows/bolts which enemy used against you or collect your own missed arrows/bolts wherever you see and keep continue till you run out of ammo. Then just call your archers stay little bit outside of castle (pick a good position for them so they can shoot defenders) then place your inf/cav between your archers and castle. Enemy archers/xbows gonna shoot your inf/cav instead archers because your inf/cav gonna be closer to the castle. In this way you'll gonna protect your archers from enemy fire and your inf/cav can defend themselves with their shields.

If one of your archers die, get his bow/xbow and continue to do what I've said first; Stay at ladder and keep shooting them till you run out of ammo. When enemy lost enough men, order your melee soldiers to attack but you enter castle before your soldiers and just run right/left and dont engage with enemy till your soldiers enter castle. All enemies gonna focus your soldiers and you can kill them from behind. A 2h axe or poleaxe is the best for this job. When you clear the walls, call your archers to walls and let them shoot enemy inside castle and you go with your melee warriors and keep fighting.

This is probably the easiest way to capture a castle. Hope can conquer the castle you want most. Good luck!

And let us know when you capture a castle.

Regards.

Edit: Last post was in 2014 but this thread was in 1st page. Sorry for the necro -in this case, I don't know if this counts as necro :/-
    Last edited by River Lord; April 03, 2016 at 06:53 AM.
    A friend advises in his interest, not yours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12