Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sieges (Attacking)

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Default Sieges (Attacking)

Hello there followers of Meloncat,

I am having difficulties winning big siege battles. Mind you, I'm playing Warband unmodded for the moment. My two biggest problems are:

1. Enemy archers machine-gunning down my troops
    I have tried to respond to this by shooting them down myself or by bringing my own sharpshooters. However, whenever I start a battle, there is usually only 1 archer in my team, even though I have way more. I tried to get the Pre-battle deployment mod, but it doesn't work with the newest version of warband. As a result, I can't pick which units I want to start a battle with (unless you guys know of another mod). I also can't figure out how to tell my archers to only use arrows instead of charging up the ladder. I used the command menu to stay back, but they often don't even shoot.
    2. My troops get stuck on top of the ladder
    This one is pretty self-explanatory. For some reason, they do not like to push through, even when there is space.

Any tips or mods you know that I could use would be kindly appreciated.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Re: Sieges (Attacking)

Adjust the order of your troops in the party screen to change the order they appear on the battlefield.

Lol. I did not know I could do that. Thanks!

and also tell your archers to hold position around where you start, so they stay there shooting at the enemy instead of running up ladders

there group number is like 2 i think then hold F1 and you can choose where to make them hold ground

Quote Originally Posted by Discoduck View Post
    and also tell your archers to hold position around where you start, so they stay there shooting at the enemy instead of running up ladders

there group number is like 2 i think then hold F1 and you can choose where to make them hold ground
    Interesting. So I need to hold the button down and then click where I want them to stay?

Yea hold f1 down and place the flag or you could stand where you want them to stay and then press f1 to Bring up the movement menu and find hold position from there

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Keep your all your crew far away from castle, while they are moving a siege tower. Ladder is normally in game and it suck, it would be nice have 2 or 3 ladders. 1 ladder is always chaos and you never get top if you come little bit behind from your crew. Many times, my crews pushed me out from ladders from high places. If you want fight in ladders, be first guys who climb. Usually I keep archers behind while my melee-crews slaughtering enemies. If your archers or sharpshooters are high trained, they dealing well against enemy archers too.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Download warband battle sizer and set it to a good level for your pc maybe 500 troops as a starting point

Then you usually wont need to worry about battle order although again depending on your pc you will have to play around with graphics setting and max number of units on screen.

Put melee troops with large shields in front of your archers. The defenders will waste their arrows on them.
    When your archers are out of arrows decide if it is save to charge the wall with your reminding melee units. If not, retreat and do it again until enough defenders are dead.

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

If enemy archers annihilate your forces, use Rhodoks. With their HUGE shields, taller than my door, they can take the walls without big casualties. Best faction for close combat.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

Quote Originally Posted by rabenschnabel View Post
    Put melee troops with large shields in front of your archers. The defenders will waste their arrows on them.
    When your archers are out of arrows decide if it is save to charge the wall with your reminding melee units. If not, retreat and do it again until enough defenders are dead.
    This sounds like an intriguing idea. So I get a bunch of Vaegir archers and Rhodok crossbowman and shoot the crap out of the enemy, and once out of arrows, I retreat. Rinse and repeat. It sounds good, but seems sort of cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    This sounds like an intriguing idea. So I get a bunch of Vaegir archers and Rhodok crossbowman and shoot the crap out of the enemy, and once out of arrows, I retreat. Rinse and repeat. It sounds good, but seems sort of cheap.
    It is good, and it is kinda cheap.
    Just be aware that each time you run retreat counts as a defeat, and your party will lose morale because of it.

Also, once you get the hang of the game, I'd suggest ditching native, and look for some of the awesome mods out there, like 1257 AD.

Diamat ide suggest you download prophecy of pendor its pretty awesome mod

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a full conversion mod. But I only play on the weekends, so I'm still trying to kinda get through a regular game first. I already have the diplomacy mod though.

Talking about mods, once I'm ready, I'd really like to play one during Roman times or one where I can play as Saxony (either during Medieval or Napoleonic times). Anyone know of any good ones that are compatible with the newest version of Warband?

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting a full conversion mod. But I only play on the weekends, so I'm still trying to kinda get through a regular game first. I already have the diplomacy mod though.

Talking about mods, once I'm ready, I'd really like to play one during Roman times or one where I can play as Saxony (either during Medieval or Napoleonic times). Anyone know of any good ones that are compatible with the newest version of Warband?

Up to you although some of the mods are way better for units and story and everything like PoP and Brytenwalda and 1257

Afaik their are no finished roman times mods and I dont know as to your other question

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Simply change the battle size to 30 men and problem solves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Simply change the battle size to 30 men and problem solves.
    But that's cheating.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

But that's cheating.
    What do you mean? I did not use any console code right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Yeah, but that's sort of like 30 Spartans only having to fight 30 Persians at a time. Who do you think would win even if the odds were 1:100?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

The Spartans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast