Thread: (NTW AAR) La libertad de España

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Default (NTW AAR) La libertad de España

My first AAR that I may actually finish. It recounts Duke Wellington's Iberian campaign in the form of (roughly) monthly diary entries.

Before it starts properly though, can someone tell me how to uppload pictures from Steam? As incentive, here is a little something to start you up.

(Introduction)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The year is 1811. The world is in turmoil. Napoleon, upstart ruler of France has launched his invasion on Europe. Since 1804, he has successfully devastated countless nations in order to become the most powerful man on Earth. He must be stopped. While he has been away fighting in central Europe, he has also successfully neglected his rear-guard. Spain. This is where I will strike. This is where Great Britain will strike. This is where the tide turns.
    Last edited by Dude with the Food; January 13, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Default Re: La libertad de España

Download Fraps and use it to take screens.

I've already taken them. Anybody? I guess you don't want to hear the rest.
    Last edited by Dude with the Food; January 13, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Make an account on Photobucket or Imageshack and upload your pics there. Then copy the image URL and post it here.

Thanks, I think this works. +rep.
    Finally I can get on with posting this.
    Spring

(Early March)
    The Spanish and the British nations have never got along well on theatre. Whether it be religion, colonies, politics, European dominance or simply prestige of nations, we have never negotiated. In fact, the Spanish allied with Napoleon, I doubted our nations would ever see eye to eye though I obviously misjudged the Frenchman’s lust for power. He is after all, the most distinguished man in Europe, so much so that he controls vast swathes of it through force unthinkable. I have heard him a likened Caesar, Hannibal and Alexander the Great, as if some kind of living God. But I have seen what he can do. His wrath is terrible and it clouds his judgement. He has driven his allies apart, and exiled Ferdinand VII in favour of his brother, Joseph, as king of Spain. The Spanish people, the riled and no waging guerrilla warfare all over the peninsular, look to our guidance and the King himself has bequeathed me with the honour of liberating this once most majestic of countries.
    My first step into liberating the peninsular is by reclaiming Portugal. The last two years have seen bitter fighting and now the forces are weakened. Taking Coimbra and Porto are current objectives for me and my second in command, William Carr Beresford. I will besiege Coimbra now; it is of strategic value to secure a coastline before regiments of the King’s German Legions reach shore. Granville Payne, previously garrison commander of Gibraltar, has marched onwards to Cordoba, in hope of reaching it to aide Joaquin Blake y Joyes, the main Spanish general.
    (Late March)
    Coimbra is ours. The regiments have landed and already moved out to Beresford. The garrison was headed by charismatic leaders so when I arrived, they remained resolute in their defence. However, when Beresford arrived within a day’s march, they gave in. Some of the soldiers followed them and ran them down but have alerted me to the presence of Jean-Andres Messena: the commander of the French army in Spain. I have left a regiment of the Portuguese troops to see to the recruitment of local soldiers to the British cause.

In the south, Payne reached Cordoba but Blake y Joyes had decided his campaign lay north of Seville, rather than east. Payne has however managed to conduct an espionage campaign inside Cordoba itself. Military buildings have been damaged and riots have started in the surrounding areas, also credited to Spanish priests. It seems they haven’t completely disregarded coordination.
    (Early May)
    I have taken residence in the town of Viseau, between Coimbra and Salamanca. A marched out to meet Messena but when I reached his previous position, there was no sign of his army. Intelligence suggested he had retreated so I pushed onwards and here I am now. News reached me that the French army had withdrawn because Messena was dead. He had been shot by Aston Leake (a British spy) on a hunting expedition. Leake had been on orders to perform surveillance but he saw the perfect opportunity to strike. I rejoiced at the time but the French vengeance will be brutal, and much swifter than I anticipated. Marshall Soult, one of Napoleon’s highest regarded generals, has been sent in with reinforcements. He outnumbers me, I have had no news from Beresford and he is less than a week from my position. What’s more is that Leake has moved on, chased by French agents, into Salamanca. He has uncovered a hive of guerrilla activity and has managed to hire Rodrigo Chiamulera. He will no doubt be useful in the war effort.

Summer

(Early June)
    The French haven’t attacked me yet, which is good news. Beresford has finally taken Porto, though he took way too long. And Caceres is almost in open revolt. The people there are some of the most anti-French in Spain but that is counterbalanced by Blake y Joyes being defeated. If he had stuck to the plan, he could have linked up with the Spanish forces in Valencia, who have been making a name for themselves or so I’ve heard. Their campaigns in Murcia have been quite successful up to now.
    (Early July)
    I feel the time to act is now but I know I would march alone. Auguste Marmonte replaced Soult, he obviously felt he had more pressing matters elsewhere. However, Marmonte, I underestimated for he manoeuvred his army right past me. I see the guerrilla warfare has affected him in more than one way. Nonetheless, with us behind him and the road ahead of him clear, I think underestimated British determination. We passed him by taking a little known path through the mountains and came out of the valley in time to ambush him!

We killed him and disposed of his army though taking heavy losses. What surprised me though was the remarkable resilience the German light troops fought after their heavier regiment shamefully withdrew. I will have to take this into consideration. It doesn’t change that we must nurture our wounds, especially with news of a smaller French army to the south. Beresford has taken losses too and cannot start the race around the coast to cut the French off from behind the Pyrenees. A defeat outside Granada has sent Payne back to Gibraltar in disgrace. I hope when he returns he will understand what awaits for him there. Today I also mourn the loss of Admiral Arthur Legge, an established seaman who perished along with his crew while trying to obtain the passage of goods to South America. Only one ship returned from the expedition though it wasn’t present at the battle site.
    In contrast, both the northern and southern espionage campaigns are running smoothly. French forces east of the Serra da Estrela (as the locals call it) are under particular threat of being overrun entirely, and Leake and Daniel Cola have separate assignments in Cordoba and Salamanca. They are both causing chaos but Leake’s contacts in the city are devising sponsored missions by the government. A breakthrough must be close.

Default Re: (NTW AAR) La libertad de España

Thank you aparker3 For reminding me of this. Good to know it has been looked at.

Autumn

(Early September)
    No major action has occurred over the summer but it has been the most successful the campaign has been in a while. Payne has been replaced be Picton, a respected Welsh officer whom will serve me well in the south. Although the actions are moving away from there as Granada, Caceres, Salamanca and Santiago have been taken. Only Cordoba remains in the south while the French are losing the coastline to Beresford who has set off again. I still wait as my forces are still regrouping and a large French army waits upon our doorstep. Leake has been disposing of various French agents across Castile, where the French seem keen to impose their presence. His acquaintances have also been busy with ferrying arms to rebel groups and hindering the French in every way possible.
    (Early October)
    Winter is settling in. Pierre Lauriston, commander of the second French army has been killed and his army routed. He tried the same as before but unfortunately for him, his army was pursued by Spanish guerrilleros and I caught him up. He still managed to ambush me but his cavalry were destroyed be ours with the Light Germans while our infantry held their own. Then, our Portuguese soldiers took one flank while the dragoons took the other. The road to Valladolid is open for me as Salamanca is friendly and Beresford can reach Santander before the month’s end. Rafael Lassala (a guerrilla commander who was held in Oviedo) has joined our cause and leads his men through the mountains into Leon. Picton has finally attacked Cordoba but will assault in November.
    (Early November)
    We all march further than intended. Beresford will take Bilbao; while Picton and I will engage in a pincer movement on Ciudad Real and finally Madrid! The very heart of the peninsular, free! We will finally drive the wretched French out of Spain. The population of Leon, seem to be more French than we realised and Lassala has had to wait for backup in the form of Pablo Morillo; a fellow guerrilla leader. But good news has come from the south. Picton successfully took Cordoba and marches north with reinforcements to aide me.

♔The Lizard King♔'s Avatar Citizen

Indeed, it has been looked at, and I have liked what I've seen! Keep it up!

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

Great AAR!

Keep it coming my friend

Not sure I can. I was really excited about writing this but. Yeah.

I'm going to make it my aim to get somewhere with an aar or at least get somewhere before posting it but unfortunately I can't do that here. Sorry. There's something I think if anyone is interested in a little more but it isn't much.