Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre order units..i hate them!!

SteamPunk's Avatar Civis

Default Pre order units..i hate them!!

Pre order units....i hate them...,my hatred for them started with the release of Empire. There were about six companies all selling Empire with a diffrent special unit. It wasnt until a long time after game release that the pre order units became available to everone.Some peolpe hate DLC but for me the pre order units are something i never want to see again....but im ressigned to the fact that Rome 2 will probabley be the same.i wonder what unit play.com will be offering

Default Re: Pre order units..i hate them!!

I dont mind DLC but hate the different pre-order options with a passion. I'm alright not owning all the game, as long as I have the option on what not to own.

Play.com direct retail closes in March so they'll have to get the pre-orders up soon!

Eh. Gives me an excause to jump back in at a later time. For that £2 it usually ends up a 30 hour game.
    Only time I really got abit upset about it was with the FOTS ones, pretty hefty price and not really all that much diffrence compared to prev Shogun 2 packs.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteamPunk View Post
    Pre order units....i hate them...,my hatred for them started with the release of Empire. There were about six companies all selling Empire with a diffrent special unit. It wasnt until a long time after game release that the pre order units became available to everone.Some peolpe hate DLC but for me the pre order units are something i never want to see again....but im ressigned to the fact that Rome 2 will probabley be the same.i wonder what unit play.com will be offering
    Just ignore them and wait for a mod to give you 10 times more units with 10 times more quality for free.

spartan_warrior's Avatar Combating the ignorant

I don't mind pre-order bonuses, whether they be unit or factions, just so long as all varying retailers have the same bonus, I hate when different stores have different ones. Like for Shogun 2, no matter where you pre-ordered it you got the Hattori faction which is fine. However, I did not like how FotS had 3 different bonuses depending upon where you ordered from (although they did eventually release the others as DLC after).

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

so you decided to waste a thread moaning about it....

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

I dont mind pre order units because if im paying full price +5.99 for preorder I should atleast get something more then the guy who buys it a year later for 5.99$

What I hate is different bonuses for different companies.
    Last edited by Krieglord; January 11, 2013 at 07:03 PM.

I am of mixed feelings on them.

I spent a great deal of time finding the grand battery for napoleon and did not end up using it until all the mods were out. It was such late game that it was a bit old hat by the time one got to it.

Apart from that I never really got the unit I really wanted in the deaths head hussars because it was not even available in my country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This was a huge annoyance and effectively discriminated between sales locations. Even to this day I do not think I have ever really enjoyed my beloved deaths heads from the sharpes novels

P.S. I really don't like missing out. Shogun2's DLC was just a waste. I saw no point of difference in any of the factions or units

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasete View Post
    Just ignore them and wait for a mod to give you 10 times more units with 10 times more quality for free.
    This isn't medieval 2, medieval 1, or rome 1 anymore, Activision is at war with modders.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNasoRomaLost View Post
    This isn't medieval 2, medieval 1, or rome 1 anymore, Activision is at war with modders.
    What does Activision have to do with anything? Activision has not been involved with CA since Rome.

And its clear that CA does value its community and modders, as obvious with their decision to release the Assembly kit for Shogun 2, it's not their fault that hardly anyone is using it.

It is true that without modding many would not purchase.
    It is also true that they want to make money from micro transactions.

Me I like both. But no modding would make this great game a mediocre one trick pony for me. It would cause the community to gradually die.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

I say Pre-Order factions/units are fine as long as they are uniform throughout. FoTS was ridiculous.

SteamPunk's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator Of The Roman Republic View Post
    so you decided to waste a thread moaning about it....

And you wasted your time whining about my whining,, Plus rep for you sir!

If people are putting threads about DLC and their views on it, i dont see much diffrence in a thread about exclusive pre prder units.

There better be some pretty damn awesome TF2 items...

Useless thred. If you don't like pre-order units, do not pre-order and get the game normally.

I wouldn't buy a game from any business that cuts content for either DLC or pre-order bonuses, or at least not until a "gold edition" is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Domitianus View Post
    Useless thred. If you don't like pre-order units, do not pre-order and get the game normally.
    People have a right to be outraged and to be vocal about it, just as corporations have a right to lock units from a game and only give access to pre-orderers.
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_warrior View Post
    What does Activision have to do with anything? Activision has not been involved with CA since Rome.

And its clear that CA does value its community and modders, as obvious with their decision to release the Assembly kit for Shogun 2, it's not their fault that hardly anyone is using it.
    The Assembly Kit means all when it's released months (if not more than a year, I don't remember the dates" after the community already made the tools. All the community needs is a campaign map editor that can edit the regions. Making that impossible restricted the scope of full-conversion mods immensely. If that's not blatantly disregarding the modding community, I don't know what is. Not that I'm complaining, there's plenty of games to move on to, I now play Mount and Blade for tactics and Paradox games for strategy.

And if they really cared about their community, they wouldn't've left Empire in such a broken state. Napoleon worked perfectly, it surely can't be impossible to fix Empire.
    Last edited by Veliky Kaiser Theos; January 12, 2013 at 06:42 AM.

Comes Domesticorum

I don't mind any form of DLC or pre-order bonus, no one forces you to buy them. The only time I don't like DLC is when the game has been intentionally created to not be full unless you have DLC, which has not been the case with any Total War games.

SteamPunk's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Domitianus View Post
    I think your missing the point.whatvi dont like is that six diffrent companys will have a diffrent unit for pre orders. Maybe play.com will have a unique carthaginian ship,and amazon will have a unique roman legion.thats what is annoying to me.

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

And you wasted your time whining about my whining,, Plus rep for you sir!

If people are putting threads about DLC and their views on it, i dont see much diffrence in a thread about exclusive pre prder units.
    You clearly stated only your opinion on pre-ordering units, nothing for us to question upon or state.

Therefore it's just a waste of a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Veliky Kaiser Theos View Post
    after the community already made the tools.
    Oh so the community had already made tools which could create new unit and building models? And the community had already created a set of tools which could edit the campaign map or create an entirely new one? Maybe you can point me to these great tools. The Assembly Kit is not just a rehash of the Pack file Manager which you seem to think, the kit essentially allows one to do anything which was possible to mod in the old games. You would realize this if you even bothered to use the tools, but you're probably not even a modder yourself. It is this unappreciative attitude of many in this community for acknowledging what CA did with releasing the Assembly kit that I won't be surprised if they don't bother doing it again for Rome 2. So what if it took them a year and a half after the initial release of Shogun 2 to release the assembly kit, it takes time to create them, especially when you are working on developing other products along side. It's not like community made tools are available from the initial release of a game, look how long it took to create something to edit buildings in M2TW.

All the community needs is a campaign map editor that can edit the regions. Making that impossible restricted the scope of full-conversion mods immensely. If that's not blatantly disregarding the modding community, I don't know what is.
    Again, this is possible with the Assembly kit, something you would realize if you bothered to use it.

Not that I'm complaining.
    Yes, yes you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast