Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Thread!

Default Re: Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Looks like the finished product is paying off!
    It is definitely done and I could not be happier with this final version! This campaign has played out beautifully and this is easily the best campaign I have ever played in RTW.

This is RTW as I had always imagined it... and I have been playing RTW since it's release!

Good games everyone...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 21, 2014 at 01:52 AM.
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

Sword, Spear, and Shield Mini Mod Version 2.8

by iLeeT_PeeP

Set in cool new world map to faction selection screen unique to the SSaS Mini Mod...

Version 1.7 has been re-packaged and re-released...

A nice finishing touch for the mini-mod.

Good games to all...

-iLeeT_PeeP

Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 23, 2014 at 01:43 AM.
    Interesting Fact?
    Only the emperor or triumphant generals could wear all purple, anybody else doing so would be killed.

by iLeeT_PeeP

I want to impose on you all the importance of good generals and taking advantage of them...

Look at my empire now...

In a tough spot but I am not going to give up!

Good games everyone...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 22, 2014 at 08:01 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Those Iberian Infantry aren't going to cut it man. You gotta get some Scutarii and Bull Warriors trained!

Those Iberian Infantry aren't going to cut it man. You gotta get some Scutarii and Bull Warriors trained!
    That is very difficult to achieve in SSaS ahowl...

I do not even have any Cities (3rd level provinces) at this time...

However!

Check this out!!

I was able to muster enough strength out of my provinces to retake Numantia from the Gauls and Tingi from the Scipii!!

Good games all...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 23, 2014 at 01:40 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Wow and you are in 199 BC? Maybe make all units recruitable at a certain level?

Wow and you are in 199 BC? Maybe make all units recruitable at a certain level?
    It takes away from the challenge ahowl...

The Scipii have definitely managed a few cities because they are fielding alot of Principes.

However Rome's position and potential economically is much greater than Iberias...

I will try and find a way... Iberia is tough to play...

However this is naturally the challenge of playing one of the "less-civilized" factions...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 23, 2014 at 01:31 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

I go by the Komnenean Army Approach, Train militia, get them battle experience and upgrades and supplement them with good mercenaries and excellent cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    I go by the Komnenean Army Approach, Train militia, get them battle experience and upgrades and supplement them with good mercenaries and excellent cavalry
    Heh. Mini Mod is very challenging b2.

Is armed/trained Militia able to face up against full (Gaul Warbands) well? Can they fight and win in SSaS Mini Mod against them?

I know they will have trouble against Roman Hastati and Princpes...

I do use Militia but mainly for defence in cities supplemented by Peasants as well since they are a bit cheaper.

I have never really tried to match them head to head. Seems like a waste of men to me...

However it might work!!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 25, 2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Sorry, I haven't had the chance to play your mod yet, I downloaded it but Real Life and other commitments have kept me busy. I was just describing the type of armies I usually field in other mods, Like EB and EXC

Quote Originally Posted by b257 View Post
    Sorry, I haven't had the chance to play your mod yet, I downloaded it but Real Life and other commitments have kept me busy. I was just describing the type of armies I usually field in other mods, Like EB and EXC
    Understandable np man.

However im not sure this will work with the Mini Mod. It is very challenging!

I have been playing RTW since its release and the Mini Mod really challenges me on VH/VH.

If you ever do try SSaS on VH/VH you will see what im talking about and how throwing away population only to be massacred doesnt always help your circumstance!

But it might work against the Gauls! It is definitely an idea worth trying...

I think a really good General may be necessary to pull it off... However... This strategy remains untested so I am not sure...

This is highly tempting!!

It would save 70 coin in upkeep per unit/per turn!!

The SSaS values are highly modified and amour values are based on actual in-game models...

Barbarian Warbands for example NO LONGER have a mysterious armour value of 3.

Costs are also now based entirely on a units strength and abilities to equal a total sum to recruit and a fraction of that to upkeep...

Miraculously the Warband recruitment cost turned up the same value which was a sign from above my formulas were meant to be however as you can see the upkeep is not the same...

Let me break one down for you all so you can understand the logic behind these figures...

Warband
    Attack 7
    Charge Bonus 4
    Total Defence 6
    Stat Mental 4 (6 after +2 bonus was given to all units but is left out of equiation and is considered an unpenalized morale bonus for all to improve gameplay)

So Recruitment Cost...

70 + 40 + 60 + 40 = 210

210 x 2 = 420

Recruitment Cost 420

Now Upkeep...

420 / 4 = 105

Large Unit Size Penalty +50 Bonus

Upkeep 155

These formulas and equations are well thought out and planned and were carried out with extreme precision on every unit in a very consistent fashion! Variations also exist in the formula for cavalry and missile units.

This is why I am sure it wont be the exact same result as plain RTW and I state it is untested!

Good games to all!

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; February 05, 2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Geeze!!

Fighting with every ounce of my RTW knowledge and I am unable to keep my foothold in north Africa...

Tingi is a very fruitful territory... however, keeping it out of Roman hands is very difficult.

It has come into my possession and then been lost 2 different times...

I think your right ahowl...

I am going to need to get some Scutarii going... So I am in the process of trying to convert Corduba into a City.

Hopefully an army of good Scutarii with support can re-secure this and hold it.

I would have done this sooner but converting a Town into a City is a process.

The 1 City I have converted is Numantia however it is too far to successfully support my campaign in north Africa.

Good games...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Yup, at this stage of the game you need Scutarii and Long Shield Cavalry

Yup, at this stage of the game you need Scutarii and Long Shield Cavalry
    Yep this is more difficult to get going with the Mini-mod.

Also Bull Warriors and any nations "Faction Elite" troops are only recruitable from your "Founding Settlement" so they will be very hard to field in large numbers...

BUT

Scutarii I should be able to field once I develop my territories enough...

Hopefully I can pull this off and retake north Africa from the Romans...

My problem in north Africa...

Im trying to take territory from the Gauls to support this expansion... Lets see what happens.

Good games all...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 26, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Sup all.

Im having that glitch where when you conquer a province a RomeTX.exe error CTD occurs...

So as soon as I click "Occupy Settlement" or one of the options it occurs...

It seems to be quite common and happen with several mods/versions after some research...

Strange thing is that it is occurring on a province I have already captured twice but on this third capture its occuring...

So my question is does anyone know what exactly causes this and how to fix it?

I am several turns into this campaign.

I have RTW 1.5 without the addons... any info on this is appreciated.

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

One thing I've noticed from your screens..
    It's 182 BC and the Romans havn't had the Marius reform yet? That's amazing, how did you push it back so much?

One thing I've noticed from your screens..
    It's 182 BC and the Romans havn't had the Marius reform yet? That's amazing, how did you push it back so much?
    lol. The Imperial Palace was pulled... This slipped right by me in all my "extreme visions" for the game...

However my game is playing out nicely without them.

I will look into this...

Any advice on the glitch?

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Haha I see now.
    Nope, not a clue man. I'm sorry. Post in the workshop about it.

Man... I dont know what game you all are playing...

VH/VH is without a doubt so much more difficult than H/VH...

Anyone who tells u otherwise is full of #$%$...

VH/VH

H/VH

Look at how quickly I was able to expand... Discount Numantia because this can be taken in 2 turns...

Difference in coin!?

Just a little FACT with PROOF for you all.

Good games to all...

-iLeeT_PeeP
    Last edited by iLeeT_PeeP; January 30, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
    Interesting Fact?

by iLeeT_PeeP

Wow, huge difference