Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Disappearance - Assassin's Creed Franchise Review- Updated 2/2/18

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Assassin's Creed Unity -Assassin's Creed Franchise Review- Updated 1/8/15

My guess would me March or April, which is when I expect Rogue to drop on PC.

I didn't experience any serious technical problems otherwise my review would have been much lower, to be honest.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Assassin's Creed Unity -Assassin's Creed Franchise Review- Updated 1/8/15

Great work on the reviews GC, I've read all the ones since my last post here - they are very detailed and do a great job of looking at the good, the bad and the ugly () of the games. I have pretty much stopped playing AC, but I like the sound of the new combat system you described in Unity as well as the focus on stealth as a bigger part of the game instead of mindless slaughter.

+rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Added
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Great work on the reviews GC, I've read all the ones since my last post here - they are very detailed and do a great job of looking at the good, the bad and the ugly () of the games. I have pretty much stopped playing AC, but I like the sound of the new combat system you described in Unity as well as the focus on stealth as a bigger part of the game instead of mindless slaughter.

+rep
    Yeah the new combat system can certainly make you think twice, especially when five people draw their gun on you at the same time.

Also, where's my rep? You lie, shanky

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Well you didn't ask for first class delivery so there was the standard waiting period.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

TASS07's Avatar Miles

Well, I've been contemplating when to get Unity. I've played all the major pc releases I think, starting with ACI. One or 2 of them on XBoX 360 though. Anways, with recent titles of the series I've usually held off on buying them straight away as I felt they just didn't add enough to warrant the full price. I like going through the story and all, and the game is still very unique and has not yet been dethroned by competitor that tried similar things. I am still enjoying each subsequent release. But already around ACII, Brotherhood and ACIII I got the feel that it is just a repetetive thing altogether and at times the series starts to bore me. I've long stopped trying to max out characters and find even close to all the stuff you can hunt and explore for.
    You mention in your review that you feel this game could have the potential to provide the grounds for a reboot of sorts and mentioned some refreshing combat and mission elements, at the same time you critised the story as flat. Would you, the above taken into account, advise me to get the game sooner rather than later - or to expand my practice to wait till the game dropped to 20-30 bucks? If you could elaborate just a little more on what you found refreshing and what (potentially) bored you, that would probably ease my choice quite a bit

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

I want to ask that how is Unity now? Is it worth to buy it now?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TASS07 View Post
    Well, I've been contemplating when to get Unity. I've played all the major pc releases I think, starting with ACI. One or 2 of them on XBoX 360 though. Anways, with recent titles of the series I've usually held off on buying them straight away as I felt they just didn't add enough to warrant the full price. I like going through the story and all, and the game is still very unique and has not yet been dethroned by competitor that tried similar things. I am still enjoying each subsequent release. But already around ACII, Brotherhood and ACIII I got the feel that it is just a repetetive thing altogether and at times the series starts to bore me. I've long stopped trying to max out characters and find even close to all the stuff you can hunt and explore for.
    You mention in your review that you feel this game could have the potential to provide the grounds for a reboot of sorts and mentioned some refreshing combat and mission elements, at the same time you critised the story as flat. Would you, the above taken into account, advise me to get the game sooner rather than later - or to expand my practice to wait till the game dropped to 20-30 bucks? If you could elaborate just a little more on what you found refreshing and what (potentially) bored you, that would probably ease my choice quite a bit
    Basically, I liked the changes to the combat and the freerunning, though they take a bit of getting used to at first. Combat is certainly more difficult now than it has been since (I would argue, at least) the first game. But once you get the hang of it and start learning how to counter enemies (not necessarily in the literal sense) it becomes much easier. The emphasis on stealth will also take some getting used to, and if you plan on achieving full synchronization expect a lot of challenges.

Personally I certainly got my money out of it, but it wouldn't hurt to wait for a while. If you are on PC it would definitely be worth waiting as Rogue comes out soon and that is definitely a must play.

Beyond that I am not aware of any glitches or other performance issues and if they have been fixed yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    I want to ask that how is Unity now? Is it worth to buy it now?
    What I said above, essentially. I'm not sure if the issues have been fixed so I can't answer on that aspect of whether it is worth it.

But as for gameplay and such, certainly. But it wouldn't hurt waiting for Rogue if you are on PC.

TASS07's Avatar Miles

Well, sounds to me like I am best going to wait till I can get it for some 30 bucks. And yes, you guessed right, I am most likely going to play it on PC.

Anyway, thanks very much for the review, very well written!

This franchise sure is showing fatigue, for me Unity brought more new things than all of the previous games (except for Black Flag) but this yearly release scheme is doing more harm than good, Unity showed why games should be rushed like crazy......technical mess (quite fixed through patches, but doesn't excuse the fact of nothing of this should happen at all), Forced to cancell season pass and giving free game or the dlc's.... (ubisoft to save face, ended losing money....when all could be prevented by simply letting their games being released in a more acceptable time-frame).However i enjoyed the game but i'm glad i bought 1 month and half later and at discounted price...... i lost count of how many times i had to restart from checkpoint because there was a glitch that made the objective impossible...
    Common sense removed due being Disruptive.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Well you didn't ask for first class delivery so there was the standard waiting period.
    The only thing I find sad about the new combat is the fact I can no longer fight people with my hidden blade(s). I really hated this the entire game. Even though you can silently kill people with it, I want to use it in damn group fights ! To be honest I just got Black Flag(yeah a little late lol) I enjoy that much more because of the hidden blades and the fact I can whistle haha.

TASS07's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    The only thing I find sad about the new combat is the fact I can no longer fight people with my hidden blade(s). I really hated this the entire game. Even though you can silently kill people with it, I want to use it in damn group fights ! To be honest I just got Black Flag(yeah a little late lol) I enjoy that much more because of the hidden blades and the fact I can whistle haha.
    Haven't played it yet, but that is detering me a bit. I always felt it was quite the imba thing of the hero to pull off there, but he's an assasin after all, right? And certainly the hidden blades tended to have some of the coolest combat moves :'(

Blog Entries

I would have liked if you could at least use it to counter occasionally like you can in AC 1 (which of course also has one blade).

What they are clearly trying to do is bring back the combat style of the first game. For some that is good but for others its bad.

TASS07's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I would have liked if you could at least use it to counter occasionally like you can in AC 1 (which of course also has one blade).

What they are clearly trying to do is bring back the combat style of the first game. For some that is good but for others its bad.
    Good or bad, it follows a logical cycle. Throughout the last few games they've continously increased the size of the arsinal to the point where you get the feel that the Assassins are engaging in an arms race. Obviously they would have hit the limit soon - or blurred the distinctions between different weapons. IMO that had already happened. The downsizing of abilities thus marks an attempt to avoid an overly generic feel.

Edit: Whether they had to remove the ability to use the hidden blades in "regular combat" to achieve that remains debatable. It's been established pretty early in the series, and surely there is other, later additions that could have been sacrificed. The hidden blades are a particularly dangerous thing to temper with: like no other they're an "insignia" of the series. Here you could argue however that the ability to use them in combat had blurred their assassin style - hence threatening their symbolism.
    Last edited by TASS07; February 02, 2015 at 10:21 PM.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't mind a return to the original at all to be honest. I loved roaming around and killing archers on the rooftops. I also liked the feather thing and I mean come on, Altair was the most epic assassin together with Ezio!

Blog Entries

Personally I would love to see them remake all the AC games with Unity's engine, just to see all those cities come alive as Paris feels. But that will never happen.

Blog Entries

Pretty good idea indeed Chris, sadly that would indeed not happen

TASS07's Avatar Miles

Personally I would love to see them remake all the AC games with Unity's engine, just to see all those cities come alive as Paris feels. But that will never happen.
    Yeah too bad

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well in the age of remakes and remasters I wouldn't be too certain about that. Maybe not for a year or two, but I think Ubisoft could easily spare a small team to port AC into a new engine, especially as the graphics already are pretty great, they wouldn't have to redo everything from scratch.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Well in the age of remakes and remasters I wouldn't be too certain about that. Maybe not for a year or two, but I think Ubisoft could easily spare a small team to port AC into a new engine, especially as the graphics already are pretty great, they wouldn't have to redo everything from scratch.
    Perhaps they should just remaster ACIII, because that's Mhaedros' favorite

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast