Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Assassin's Creed Bloodlines -Assassin's Creed Franchise Review- Updated 10/21

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Curator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD (Assassin's Creed Franchise Review) 2/25

I am losing track of all the AC games they are making these days.

From the sounds of it it seems they have fallen into the trap of more games - less quality.

Sir Adrian's Avatar Go ARSENAL!!!
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD (Assassin's Creed Franchise Review) 2/25

Yeah, they're getting very gimmicky.
    Under the patronage of Inkie Pie

Click the banner below, it will lead you to a wonderful place. Click it! Click iiiiiittttttttttt! You know you want to.

Gen. Chris's Avatar I'm watching you...
    Content Director Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I wouldn't necessarily agree. Assassin's Creed IV and Freedom Cry were extremely good games. Their main pitfalls was the lack of actual assassinations for Black Flag and a lack of much to do in Freedom Cry. The two of them together are one really well rounded game and DLC combo. With Liberation, if it had been produced as a main game and not a spin off for handhelds it probably could have been excellent.

So, maybe a *small* decrease in quality, but nothing that isn't franchise breaking in my opinion. Black Flag was trying for something new, and it succeeded.

Curator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Fair enough, I haven't played any of the latest titles (got AC3 but never finished) so I'm no position to provided a reliable comment - I'll take your word for it.

Out of all of the latest ones which one would you recommend getting?

Content Director Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

All of them.

ALL OF THEM.

Curator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

That doesn't help.

Content Director Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yes it does, it means that you must get them all.

Besides, you cannot play Black Flag without playing III or risk major spoilers. If you had to play one without any spoilers at all, Liberation would be your best bet.

Content Director Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well, I have had a chance to revise my Liberation review, as well as add a short review of the Vita version as I have had a chance to play it. So, enjoy

Now, I get to look forward to the next game(s).

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Centurio Primus Pilus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Yes it does, it means that you must get them all.

Besides, you cannot play Black Flag without playing III or risk major spoilers. If you had to play one without any spoilers at all, Liberation would be your best bet.
    I really couldn't bother finishing the third one, so before I started black flag, I youtubed a summary with cutscenes of the story so far.

I really really really love being the Pirate, in fact I've stopped playing storyline missions out of fear that they'll yank me back to the real world in my abstergo office, and am doing all the pirating I can do for now, even the tedious stuff like song hunting and chest hunting and other collectables hunting

Content Director Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well at least you still found out what happened on your own terms. Better than finding out in Black Flag since it is kind of obvious.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar And the band played on.
    Content Staff

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

My friend said getting to be a fun pirate stops not too long after sequence 7 (where I am), without telling me what actually happens. So I've been completing literally everything before I finish sequence 7. so that way it makes sense .

Only a few more islands to clear, then I go back and get all of the chests and fragments scattered around the uncharted. Then I'll start the missions again.
    I am the author of the "Classic Total War Recruitment" mod for Total War: Rome II! Now with a DeI compatible version! I also have Transports only through Ports for Rome II!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    My friend said getting to be a fun pirate stops not too long after sequence 7 (where I am), without telling me what actually happens. So I've been completing literally everything before I finish sequence 7. so that way it makes sense .

Only a few more islands to clear, then I go back and get all of the chests and fragments scattered around the uncharted. Then I'll start the missions again.
    I'm at sequence 4 I think, not sure, I'm supposed to meet up with captain Kidd at some distant port, it's quite far, so I don't feel like going, especially because I fear any sequence progress can pull me out again and force me to do something in the modern world. So I'm collecting, looting, sailing, fishing, hunting etc... developping everything I can in my area, then, I might go visit captain Kidd

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

edit, forum made me double post

Content Director Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines -Assassin's Creed Franchise Review- 10/21

Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (2009)

Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines The Templars have vanished from the Holy Land. While Robert de Sable and Al Mualim are dead, but Altairís work is far from over. News of a new Templar commander as well as the purchase of Cyprus by the enemies of the Assassins beckons Altair to travel to the island, hoping to aid the growing resistance as well as discover the intentions of the Templars on the island.

--

Assassinís Creed Bloodlines is Ubisoftís first entry into the portable market for Assassinís Creed. Featuring the return of Altair, the player is able to travel to several locations on the island of Cyrpus, the main locations being the towns of Kyrenia and Limassol. As the game was developed in 2009, on a portable game, and even developed by a non-Ubisoft studio, the gameís graphics are less than desirable in the current state of gaming. However, considering the time, the graphics and number of locations explored in the game are actually quite impressive. It is one of the prettier games on PSP from the few that I have played. The hardware does unfortunately show its limitations, though, as there is considerable lack of detail as well as few if any civilians and even guards walking around in the game.The locations are fairly large and explorable, however within these locales there is relatively little to do.
    Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines
    The missions of Assassinís Creed Bloodlines are fairly straightforward, consisting of infiltration and of course assassination missions. There are also new types of missions that can include killing a number of guards in a certain amount of time. The structure is fairly similar to the first Assassinís Creed game, however with a relative lack of investigation missions that, while perhaps a bit repetitive in that game would have been a welcome addition to this one. The whole purpose of assassinations such as being stealthy and disappearing into the crowd simply is not possible in this game, as the lack of people and how the game is set up means that it is very linear in its approach with almost no flexibility. The true freedom that represented Assassinís Creed is simply not available within this game. This is disappointing, but again given the circumstances it is understandable how some features of the previous game were sacrificed. Related to this, the story is somewhat forgettable, as Altairís hunt for the Templarís as well as his growing relationship with his captive Maria are ultimately fairly underwhelming. However, it does provide some links to the other games, such as the writing of the Codex pages by Altair as well as how Maria becomes his wife.

There is also the combat. In the first game, combat was fairly limited in its capabilities, and the situation is essentially the same and possibly even worse in Bloodlines. Attacks are just limited to wearing down the enemy guards with successive strikes, which are all blocked until one hit gets through and kills them. This is pretty much the same for all fights with the addition of counters as well as dodges that add some variety but ultimately fail to provide much more than an even more simplified combat system compared to the first game. However, upgrades can be acquired that allow Altair to gain more health as well as better weapons that do add a bit of variety to the game, but ultimately I feel the upgrades are unnecessary. In the whole game I only died once, and that was from falling from a viewpoint into the ground. Not even the bossfights provided much of a challenge, which was disappointing.

Aside from the missions and combat, there is little else the game has to offer. There are Templar coins to collect which can be used in the purchase of upgrades, but again the upgrades felt a bit unnecessary. There are small side activities that can be done such as rescuing civilians like in the first game but they provide little if any bonuses towards game play. They stretch out the gameplay by adding more content, sure, but do little to really improve the experience overall. Additionally, the lack of easy camera controls due to the absence of a second analog stick (functionality not restored even if playing on Vita, which does compared to the PSP) also lead to frustrating camera angles, and the control system overall leads much to be desired. The soundtrack is good, though recycled from the first game, and the voice acting is pretty decent. There is one major bit of Assassin's Creed that is missing, and that is the modern day angle. It is clear from the gameplay that this is taking place within the confines of exploring these memories through the Animus, but there is no exploration of this. The only mention of this is in the beginning when the Animus says "Welcome Subject 17", obviously alluding to Desmond, but beyond that there is no context. And the time where Desmond could have relived these memories is never established within the overall universe. For a newcomer to the franchise this entire concept would be fairly confusing. Perhaps this is a nitpick but it is a minor annoyance given how the series has set up the animus and how it is used.
    If the game sounds boring and flawed, it is because it kind of is. The gameplay is not that great now, and the story is largely forgettable. But yet it is still fairly fun and decent for a handheld experience. And it is important to remember that when this came out in 2009 it was a fully playable Assassinís Creed experience on the go, which has only been duplicated on four games thus far, and overall not a horrible entry into the Assassinís Creed universe. It was an important building block that likely served as a learning experience for further development of the few portable titles, and if you are bored and on the go with a PSP or Vita, it is not a horrible experience overall, especially if you enjoyed the mechanics of the first game. It is also important to remember that this game, while published by Ubisoft, was developed by Griptonite Games, a studio that was likely unfamiliar with the then-new franchise. Given this as the circumstances above, I find the flaws of this game to be mostly forgivable.

6.5/10

I have no idea what is going on with the formatting and I can't seem to fix it. I'll figure it out.

Anyway, here's another review. Time to look forward to Unity and Rogue.
    Last edited by Gen. Chris; October 22, 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar Go ARSENAL!!!
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Assassin's Creed Bloodlines -Assassin's Creed Franchise Review- Updated 10/21

Added

For a PSP game this looks pretty decent.
    Under the patronage of Inkie Pie

Click the banner below, it will lead you to a wonderful place. Click it! Click iiiiiittttttttttt! You know you want to.

Content Director Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Assassin's Creed Bloodlines -Assassin's Creed Franchise Review- Updated 10/21

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Added

For a PSP game this looks pretty decent.
    It's not bad. I have mostly used my Vita for the actual vita games but I picked this up on sale and it wasn't bad for ten bucks. I just wish there could be more cause AC on the go is pretty fun. I also wish I could play the other two handhelds but there is no way in hell I'm buying a DS just for Altair's Chronicles and Discovery.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread Information