Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Character Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Default Character Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Henceforth this thread shall be for Character Discussion, enjoy!
    Last edited by Inarus; January 09, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Default Character Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Is it possible that Jon Snow is a son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark?

Semisalis

Default Re: Jon Snow

http://io9.com/5916127/has-theon-gre...et-of-them-all

scroll down a bit, you'll find it.

It is one of the most widely believed theories about all of ASoIaF

Badger-dude's Avatar Primicerius

Should probs spoiler tag this...

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Jon Snow [SPOILERS]

Of all the fan theories about GOT, this is the most likely. There is plenty of evidence throughout the books, and it just "makes sense". I would give it a 90% probability of being true.
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

Mikail Mengsk's Avatar Primicerius

I have to admit that it's probably true, even if (imho) it would be not so cool. There are too many targaryens in this world...
    It's only after you have lost everything, that you are free to do anything.

The Forgotten's Avatar Domesticus

Are you counting
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Patchface being a decendant of Aerion Brightflame also?

Many thanks to the good folks down at the Graphics Workshop for the sig.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

BTW, as the thread is about him and under spoilers already, do you think Jon Snow survives? I find it funny that Melisandre is with him (well, she's there) when he is killed...
    Last edited by Space Voyager; January 04, 2013 at 02:55 AM.

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

as the actor who plays theon greyjoy said in the article above, snow isn't son of eddard for sure and so it seems that he is probably son of rhaegar and lyanna. apart from that whta do yoy guys think about his assisnation? i believe that melisandre will resurrect him and he'll become the 1000th lord commander of the night's watch, otherwise i don't find the reason why martin mentions that he is the 998th lord commander.

I think he will survive (resurrected by melisandre, going into Ghost, not a fatal wound, whatever), and that bothers me for some reasons.

I mean, ok, he's very important for the plot (without him, who will hold the POV on the Barrier?), but all those "fake deaths" are starting to bother me. If the plot needs him alive why to kill him at the end of a book, only to have him resurrected in the next one? For the sake of the suspance? Meh.

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

If Jon Snow hadn't been stabbed repeatedly at the end of Dance, what on earth would we be discussing now? Say what you like about suspense, but "meh" certainly doesn't cover it!

Maybe we would discuss about Kevan's death. He, for sure, won't be revived by anyone so his murder actually changes a ton of things. Chances are that Jon will be revived in some way so maybe all the fuss will be not so relevant. Maybe it will be, but maybe not. About Kevan, we KNOW that he won't be revived.

Fact is, Martin already used this trick several times. It's getting boring, and i hope we can all recognize that it's a cheap shot. Also it kinda ruins the "realism" of the story. I really enjoy the "low-magic" universe created by Martin, and i'm not so joyful about the sensible increase in magical-related events that the last books seems to show. I think one of the best part of Martin's books is the mortality of the characters, even the important ones - heck, them more than others!

Keeping killing a character, or supposedly doing so, only to see him revived or saved at the last moment ruins that. Death was a serious threat in the first books. It still is, but the "cliffhanger trick" is being used too much.

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

only lady catelyn has been resurrected and lord dondarrion, the rest are all dead. so i don't believe that martin have used that trick several times.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Mengsk View Post
    Maybe we would discuss about Kevan's death. He, for sure, won't be revived by anyone so his murder actually changes a ton of things. Chances are that Jon will be revived in some way so maybe all the fuss will be not so relevant. Maybe it will be, but maybe not. About Kevan, we KNOW that he won't be revived.

Fact is, Martin already used this trick several times. It's getting boring, and i hope we can all recognize that it's a cheap shot. Also it kinda ruins the "realism" of the story. I really enjoy the "low-magic" universe created by Martin, and i'm not so joyful about the sensible increase in magical-related events that the last books seems to show. I think one of the best part of Martin's books is the mortality of the characters, even the important ones - heck, them more than others!

Keeping killing a character, or supposedly doing so, only to see him revived or saved at the last moment ruins that. Death was a serious threat in the first books. It still is, but the "cliffhanger trick" is being used too much.
    I 100% agree with this. It's getting rather annoying. Melisandre seems to be a way for Martin to lazily move the plot on and add new events. (i.e. Renly's death when it looked like he would totally crush Stannis)

Quote Originally Posted by zburanuki View Post
    only lady catelyn has been resurrected and lord dondarrion, the rest are all dead. so i don't believe that martin have used that trick several times.
    It's highly probable that Gregor Clegane has been "resurrected" as Robert Strong. Also, the mere possibility that red priests can do so, implies that MORE character can (and will) killed and revived. I'm thinking of Moqorro, for example.

Also, the resurrection is often not a literal one. Think about the non-deaths of Mance Ryder, Davos Seaworth, Bran&Rickon, Brienne, Aegon Targaryen. Characters that seemed to be killed only to come back later, saved. Martin built solid reasons for all of them to be alive, but still...

Mount Suribachi's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mikail Mengsk View Post
    I mean, ok, he's very important for the plot (without him, who will hold the POV on the Barrier?), but all those "fake deaths" are starting to bother me. If the plot needs him alive why to kill him at the end of a book, only to have him resurrected in the next one? For the sake of the suspance? Meh.
    Melisandre.

I do agree with all your points about resurrection and fake deaths being overused. Maybe the twist this time is that he really will stay dead, that we've seen Beric + Cat brought back to life, so everyone assumes Mel will res Jon, except she doesn't

Also, FWIW, the official ASOIF App lists him as dead.

Maybe we would discuss about Kevan's death. He, for sure, won't be revived by anyone so his murder actually changes a ton of things.
    Well, Jon's death also changes things - the different factions - Wildings, NW, Mel/Selsyse - have been at boiling point for a while. A wilding giant ripping apart a Queens Man, whilst the man who saved the wildings is murdered by the NW, whilst they're all out in the yard.......the spilling of blood has only just begun at Castle Black.

And I remain 100% convinced that The Others will turn up at the start of TWOW
    Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you - Littlefinger

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

I always believed that Jonīs death was ment to build him up as a candidate to the heir of Azor Ashai.

It seems i am alone in this one, go figure.

And yes, the "saved at the last moment" and the "you all thougth i was dead but iīm really not, HAHA!" tricks are valid ways of building up suspense and make plot twist, but Martin has been overusing them a bit too much imo. I mean, how many cliffhangers does Davos have under his belt at this point?

I think Jon might well be the son of Rheagar and Lyanna, though I don't really like it. A bastard of House Stark who might raise the North to fight for someone is much more interesting in my mind.

An intersting and very messed up twist would be if he was Brandon and Lyanna's son. That would be too messed up tho.

And Jon won't die. I just can tell.

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

I can't really decide if he will be resurrected or not

Perhaps he will become like Coldhands
    Last edited by complete noob:(; January 04, 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast