Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 95% of atheistic attacks are against christianity.Why?

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Default Re: 95% of atheistic attacks are against christianity.Why?

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    The thing about Jews is they dont really give a who you worship. They dont try to convert you. They dont criticize you because you worship 20 gods instead of one. They dont care if your god likes little girls. They only care if their boy or girl is marrying Jewish boy or girl. And Money. Thats it.
    This pile of horsecrap made my day, really. rep.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Atheists include everyone that is not a theist in exactly the same way asymmetrical is an adjective for everything that is not symmetrical. In the exact same way amorality exists where morality does not. These are dichotomies, it's pretty black and white, unless you're a fan of special pleading.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    The thing about Jews is they dont really give a who you worship. They dont try to convert you. They dont criticize you because you worship 20 gods instead of one. They dont care if your god likes little girls. They only care if their boy or girl is marrying Jewish boy or girl. And Money. Thats it.
    I find this offensive. I know many "non-Jews" who care about money. I care about money and I am not even Jewish. I like to have more of it in order to do more things. I think most people would like more money. Perhaps even if they are not entitle to it whether or not they are poor or rich. So it is curious that you believe that "Jews" care more for money than any other group. Shame shame

---

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Jews do care for money more than any other group. I don't see how that's offensive at all. Just a statement of fact. Jewish communities are very good at making sure that money stays within the family too, and tricks about how to be smart with cash get handed down through the generations. There's nothing wrong with that at all. It's just a particular skill of this particular group.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Jews do care for money more than any other group. I don't see how that's offensive at all. Just a statement of fact. Jewish communities are very good at making sure that money stays within the family too, and tricks about how to be smart with cash get handed down through the generations. There's nothing wrong with that at all. It's just a particular skill of this particular group.
    Yeah, that's why I'm having problem balancing my budget. Oh, wait... That might be because I'm half-jewish.
    Either way, I'm the living counterargument to both y claims he posted.

I can tell by your response that have no idea of the origin of the connection between Jews and money. Handling money isn't a "skill" its knowledge. Furthermore, it is not uncommon (in fact it is common) for minority groups to form tight knit communities. Jewish communities are not a anomaly, they are typical.

----

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I can tell by your response that have no idea of the origin of the connection between Jews and money. Handling money isn't a "skill" its knowledge. Furthermore, it is not uncommon (in fact it is common) for minority groups to form tight knit communities. Jewish communities are not a anomaly, they are typical.

----
    True. According to Jean Froissart, it was Italians that were "by nature covetous". Sounds familiar? It's because they were the other community in Europe (apart from Jews) with bankers and moneylanders. They were hated just a little less than their non-Christian colleagues. In Constantinople, probably more...

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

----
    A skill is practical knowledge. As far as everything else you said goes, sure.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Didn't the Jews only get into the money-lending business due to the Catholic Church's concepts of morality for their own followers? The concepts about it being immoral for Christians to do such things as lending money with an interest. The Jews were excluded from these stupid concepts and had no problem to make that area of expertise "theirs".
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

It is also good thing for the countries that house them. They are like the national piggy bank, in times of desperate need you can, well, you know.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Most of the time, Christianity and Islam are the religions which atheists have the most contact with. It's the religion they are culturally raised around, the religion they react to and reject, and thus the one that is most often attacked. Even in cases where the atheist in question was raised as an atheist (as I was, when I was an atheist), it's still most likely going to be Christianity that they encounter most and with which they have bad experiences.

Hakkapeliitta's Avatar Senator
    Dark side of the Moooooon (where the cows are)

The religion most atheists are in contact with is Christianity, that's the reason why atheists attack it here at least. If there were Muslims here in same numbers who said as crazy things as Christians do then they would be repudiated just the same. But they aren't, so all we have are Christians. But Muslims who have made as outrageous claims as adherents of other religions have been called out, it's just that Christians have larger numbers so they have more staying power and hence they keep being "attacked". Really it's not "attacking" it's just critisizing.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Some, yes. Others prefer to overlook those parts in their holy books...
    Regardless of what may be in the books, actual monotheistic proponents of these “values” are statistically extremely rare. For example, there are no Christian or Jewish communities who advocate death for apostasy (or they are so rare I’ve never heard of them). Even in Islam, it is so rare as to make international news when it occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sogdog View Post
    To reply to Sumskilz, but PikeStance beat me to it. Yes, that would have been my answer too. Nowadays religion is a conservative movement in everyway. If it isn't conservative then it is fundamentalist (which belongs to the lunatic farm). Conservatism holds back social advancement. It protects the interests of those in power who are sometimes also the minority. Censorship, discrimination and intellectual bankruptcy are just some of the more modern ills that religion suffers from and adheres to. Religion is opposed to anything that does not follow its (outdated) "teachings" (stem cell research, female intellectual advancement, recognition of minorities as important and equal parts of society etc). Religion and its followers are unthinking and uncritical and thus dangerous to new ideas that could advance our understanding of the world. Religion has an unsupported massive ego about its so called importance in the world and its happenings. It thinks it is above everyone who doesn't follow is stupid ideas! It tries to crush freedom of spirit and curiosity of the world, personal development and embracing all that makes us human. It tries to dehumanize us by making us feel guilty about our bodies and interactions with others. It tries to guilt away the very instincts that make us human.

So, I think I have made my point. Religion is disgusting and morally appalling; it should be relegated to the same status as other social movements; its tax free haven reneged and its leaders tried for crimes against humanity. Amen!
    You over generalize. I’m aware of religious groups that have none of the characteristics you describe, specifically the two most prevalent Jewish denominations and the United Church of Christ. More on topic, if the majority of monotheistic denominations operated as the three I’ve mentioned, I don’t think there would be much fuel for the anti-theist movement. In fact David Silverman, the current president of the American Atheist organization, is a semi-observant Jew, though he claims to participate for purely cultural reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

DDWingate's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by (s)AINT View Post
    Probably because Christianity and Islam are the 2 biggest religions and play a major role in today's world.

This is the thing many atheists portend that never makes sense to me. In this world of globalization, financial crisis, materialism, scientific enlightenment, a free worldwide market - as we enter the 'digital age', religion has never been less significant, yet people like Dawkins seem to think the opposite. The way I see it, religion hasn't played a major role in the world since the middle ages

To the OP, the only real answer I can give you is this....

[Jewish] A skill is practical knowledge.
    The ability to manage money is an ability that anyone can learn. My wife is good with handling money and she is Italian,...oh hum, what was that guy saying about Italians ..hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Regardless of what may be in the books, actual monotheistic proponents of these “values” are statistically extremely rare. For example, there are no Christian or Jewish communities who advocate death for apostasy (or they are so rare I’ve never heard of them). Even in Islam, it is so rare as to make international news when it occurs.
    It is rare because they dare not speak out. I know "Muslims" they don't believe but they go to the Mosque so that no one suspects they no longer believe. [I lived in Dubai for 3 years]

You over generalize. I’m aware of religious groups that have none of the characteristics you describe, specifically the two most prevalent Jewish denominations and the United Church of Christ. More on topic, if the majority of monotheistic denominations operated as the three I’ve mentioned, I don’t think there would be much fuel for the anti-theist movement. In fact David Silverman, the current president of the American Atheist organization, is a semi-observant Jew, though he claims to participate for purely cultural reasons.[/QUOTE]

Most of the homicidal acts take place in the Hebrew Scriptures. The Jewish community, like many Christian denominations choose to ignore them. After all who wants to be put to death for working on Sunday!

BTW, what does David Silverman have to do with anything? He doesn't speak for me, I speak for me. The beauty of being [agnostic] Atheist is I do not have to explain the stupidity of others.

---
    Last edited by PikeStance; January 12, 2013 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDWingate View Post

This is the thing many atheists portend that never makes sense to me. In this world of globalization, financial crisis, materialism, scientific enlightenment, a free worldwide market - as we enter the 'digital age', religion has never been less significant, yet people like Dawkins seem to think the opposite. The way I see it, religion hasn't played a major role in the world since the middle ages
    Almost all the things you listed are the economy. Religion never played much of a role in the economy. Look at social policy, that's where you see religions fingerprints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Most of the homicidal acts take place in the Hebrew Scriptures. The Jewish community, like many Christian denominations choose to ignore them.
    They also know that they were written by people and reflect the morals and politics of the times. Religions evolve a lot over time, most Jews recognize this.

BTW, what does David Silverman have to do with anything?
    That what Sogdog claims about religious people is an overgeneralization. There are very religious Jews who have no belief in a supernatural God, but they tend to not like the atheist label for similar reasons to why Einstein rejected it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

DDWingate's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Almost all the things you listed are the economy. Religion never played much of a role in the economy. Look at social policy, that's where you see religions fingerprints.
    Separation of church and state?

Are you suggesting to me that religion has no influence on politics just because we've written something down on some paper?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.