Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Announcement on Permissions

Default Re: Announcement on Permissions

"What can we do, Hross?"

Simple. You can stop the "we are all huge fans of the series" crap.

The reason why companies keep defecating on gamers is that chumps indiscriminately buy crappy games and thus support crappy policies, like Diablo 3's always-online system and the Total War series' increasing lack of modability.

Of course, not buying shiny, highly hyped garbage would require half a brain and a modicum of self-restraint, so I'm not holding my breath. Have a look at the Rome 2 forum and you'll see why.

"In light of this news, I can say I will never buy anything from these Creative Assembly clowns again."

That's what I said when I read that M2 requires a 500 MB patch and then a 600 MB patch and the game will STILL be buggy. Good thing I got the Gold Edition.

Very sorry to hear this, I don't think I've posted on this mods forum before but I've been watching it for 5 or 6 years now. It's a real pity all of that work won't see the light of day.

R.I.P DotS.

Hross, if there's anything we can do let us know. I was also really looking forward to this being released, more so than Rome II.

Alexandros I.'s Avatar Ordinarius

That's quite childish by CA/SEGA. All the mods on this site are far better than anything they can create. Med2 was the game of the series I enjoyed the most due to all the fantastic mods. I didn't care for any new Total Ware game being released since Med2.
    It's such a pity that all the work you've put into DotS can't be appreciated by the community.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I am sure that you will find another way to put your huge load of work in good use.

Surely a Chinese forum will host this mod.

But what exactly is the issue? CA wants you to give up copyright on the work you've done? I don't fully understand what's going on.

Foederatus

As some of you mentioned: you would rather play this mod than R2TW which is probably one reason CA would like to stop this mod (money) and second reason is, I think, the idea of PSF (main feature of the mod) i.e. adding alot to campaign map without making thousands of actual settlements. I think CA found it as superb innovation which they would like to but cannot use themselves because of the copyright. And as it is stated - no non-historical submods are allowed - and that's what another release of Total War would be should the Dots team give up on their copyright - fantasy submod of DotS.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

From what I know no mods can claim any copyright as the copyright will always belong to the developer/publisher of the game itself. I'm not sure what's the actual story behind this but I tyhink deleting this part below from the post or any parts of the actual modification (splash screen etc) should be enough.

All original parts of the Dominion of the Sword project are protected by intellectual copyright and creative trademark laws in the United Kingdom: Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, & Trade Marks Act 1994 and the Creative Commons License:

Dominion of the Sword by The Dominion Association is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
    Based on a work at [currently unreleased] .
    Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Dominion of the Sword Games Development or through email
    © 2007-2013 May not be used, shared or modified without permission. Without prejudice to the rights reserved by SEGA.
    On a personal note I have never seems to understand regarding modifications that do not allow other people to mod their mods when they themselves are actually modding other people's game. Stuff whether it's free or not is irrelevant.

In any case, at least on TWC and any other major TW sites there's already an agreement of not using modifications from others without permissions or consent from the original creator.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Iriasthor's Avatar Libertus

We have been informed by the TWC site admins that Creative Assembly and SEGA have contacted them requesting that we remove our claim to copyright over our own intellectual material.

The core team consider this problematic since there are tools used in the creation of this mod which belong to the copyright of other commercial sources, yet SEGA or the CA does not try to muscle those rights within our work. As such, Dominion of the Sword is suspended indefinitely.
    As LestaT mentioned right before, I thought mods were not allowed to claim any copyright as the copyright will always belong to the developer/publisher of the game itself. However, it is very understable that DotS team wanted to hold a copyright on the hard work they have made during these last years. I wonder if it could be possible or not (not if you want but just if it would be possible) to continue developing the modification without claiming any copyright.

Really bad news, anyway...

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Forget it.. please delete...
    Last edited by Vipman; April 18, 2013 at 06:45 AM.

i respect the decision, its your work
    its your time spent on it, its your hard work...

but honestly i cant undestand it, unless you would want to make profit of it (wich is illegal)
    you still decide what happens to your work here on twc, having those rights or not, you can choose the fate of submods here on twc...
    outside of it even having them or not is exactly the same thing
    it is not a legal issue, its a moral issue, anyone can copy your mod change some stuff and claim its theirs and post on another site of course its very wrong to do it, but you couldn't do much if the other site didn't want to...

look at bc, ss, tatw, rs, eb, ...
    all of them don't have these rights
    but nobody here would dare to make unautorized changes to them and publish it

nothing changed...
    to the day 1 to this day of the making of the mod you had always the same rights...

really don't wast 6 years of work because of rights wich will still be applied (tought not needed legaly)
    more 1 thing was that a unanimous decision ?

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Very sad news chaps

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

i still can't believe it...
    so much waiting...

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well to be exact any images, tga files, cas files whatsoever created by any individuals here or anywhere belongs to that person. However if the images, text whatever done under modification for any game which needed the game code it self to function will automatically handed (not sure a better words to use) any rights to the game itself depending on EULA. This is because without the game code itself the pretty images created by individuals are just that, pretty images.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

They probably wonder why someone would you wanna copyright something unless they planned to make money off of it? I don't blame them they probably think a mod should just be a mod, that follows the same "twcenter copyright courtesy" that all the others do, and nothing more.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Well, technically, all modifications to video games are infringing on the copyrights of game developers, and are only legal insofar as said developers tolerate them. You can't legally take out a copyright on anything other than original images, or music, etc. Something like that.

I admit, I don't have all the information. But from what you guys are saying, you're angry that CA won't allow you to have a copyright over a modification of their intellectual property, and so you are refusing to release your mod. Why? Are you worried people will steal your work?

Have you looked at any of the other massive mods around here, with tons of original work, that DON'T try to claim copyrights over it? And look at that, their work isn't being stolen...
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post

I admit, I don't have all the information. But from what you guys are saying, you're angry that CA won't allow you to have a copyright over a modification of their intellectual property, and so you are refusing to release your mod. Why? Are you worried people will steal your work?

Have you looked at any of the other massive mods around here, with tons of original work, that DON'T try to claim copyrights over it? And look at that, their work isn't being stolen...
    i can see there is thrut in this too
    i start to think it's both fault..

only one of them needed to be flexible on this, since CA already warned them they can't ignore it now..
    i guess only Dots team can save the project
    and i don't think it will...

koultouras's Avatar Πέος

This is dire news indeed, i have just loged in after some period, to express my sincere sympathies to the moders of the DOTS.
    I understand their frustration, and i can understand they may feel their rights to be bypassed.

Copyrighting is a tricky thing about mods and i really dont know what to say about the fairness of the DOTS request their material to be copy-righted or not.
    I really have never managed to figure it out to which extend we -moders- produce something new , or something that could be copyrighted , so I really am totally ignorant at this and i have nothing to say about how fair this is for the dots leaders and devs.

As for those who do not understand why DOTS needs to keep monitoring its material and follow a strict policy of permissions , i have to say 2 things
    a) You can not understand a moder's feeling towards his work if you are not one.
    b) The moders have every right to request anything regarding their work when the last is being edited by others. Even if they were basing their work in works of others.
    Parthenogenesis never existed after all.

So, my sincere sympathies to the team for this unfortunate cease of dev.

And something that involves me.
    IIRC , DOTS asked permission to use some of my TGC work(i think it was about a Magyar unit)
    If so , and if you have already implemented it, i would like to be given the right to permit the use of it personally.
    If not so dont even bother to contact me.

But please let those needing my work(if the magyar unit is requested) contact me in TWHellas
    Last edited by koultouras; April 18, 2013 at 09:27 AM.

Ok, a lot of misinformation here, so I'll do my best to answer all points.

The Dominion of the Sword mod is fine. The copyright claim on that mod is not.

No request has been made to take down the mod, simply the text which incorrectly claims copyright of the mod.

The full answer is longer, and I'll write that up now
    Total War: Shogun 2 and its mod tool set, The Assembly Kit, are on the Steam Workshop. Check it out here.

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA

Leaf-Fan-Forever's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Will CA View Post
    Ok, a lot of misinformation here, so I'll do my best to answer all points.

The Dominion of the Sword mod is fine. The copyright claim on that mod is not.

No request has been made to take down the mod, simply the text which incorrectly claims copyright of the mod.

The full answer is longer, and I'll write that up now
    But what benefit can they glean from having a copyright on their modding material, besides protection from other fans and modders, and what benefit do you get by denying them that copyright?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast