Thread: How to remove the "Our units are under attack!" speech

BM309K58SMERCH's Avatar Centenarius

Default How to remove the "Our units are under attack!" speech

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Hello, this is my fifth tutorial, and I'm going to teach you how to delay, or completely remove that damn "Our men are under attack!" speech that your advisor nags you with. This is very simple, btw. It won't take more than 10 minutes.
    There is a better recommendation by Aikanár and ToonTotalWar. Scroll down, and you'll find it right above the Spoiler tag.

====REQUIREMENTS====
    • Audacity. Not needed if following Aikinar and ToonTotalWar's suggestion.
    • Sounds must be extracted (The link in the thread to the extractor is out of date, so use this). Not needed if following Aikinar and ToonTotalWar's suggestion.
    • Sound text files.. And placed in your /data folder.
    ====PREREQUISITES AND NOTES====
    ALWAYS make backups of events.dat, events.idx, Music.dat, Music.idx, SFX.dat, SFX.idx, Voice.dat, and Voice.idx. I extracted the .idx files elsewhere. I suggest you extract the above files somewhere else, too. So that you can explore through the files without worrying in case you make an accident. But let's just extract the files in your mod folder for the sake of this tutorial.

Prepare yourself. You're going to have to do this 16 times (at max), as there are 8 accents, and 2 "Under attack" speeches for each accent.

But I am going to do this only once, and that is for the English accent only. If you wish, you repeat the same procedure for the other 7 accents: Scottish, French, German, Mediterranean (ARGH!), East_European, Arabic, Mongolian.

EDIT: Aikanár and ToonTotalWar recommend a faster, and more efficient method of achieving this.

STEP 1: Look for export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt, right-click for properties, and uncheck the 'Read-only' box. Click Okay, then open the file up.

STEP 2: Search for these lines and proceed to delete them.. with the name in red being the target accent for which you would like to delete.

Code:
    notification Player_Under_Attack_Idle 1
    event folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Events
    English_Player_Under_Attack_Idle_1.mp3 end notification Player_Under_Attack_Idle 2 event
    folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Events English_Player_Under_Attack_Idle_2.mp3 end
    Save and close once done.

STEP 3: I don't think we're supposed to do this here, but just delete the .idx and .dat files in the sound folder. A couple of minutes for regenerating the file won't kill.

There you go. Much easier, much more simple, and using only 3 steps. Courtesy of ToonTotalWar and Aikanár.
    I have left my old tutorial here in a spoiler tag just incase.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

====STEPS====
    (REMOVING)

This section deals with removing the sound for good. If you still want the sound ingame, but not as frequent as usual, then follow part 2 of my tutorial.

EDIT: If you don't want to do any dirty work, just do the part labelled "Delay" later in the tutorial. I tested that out, and for some reason, it just removes the speech completely. I recommend you do that as it is safer.

STEP 1: Head over to data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Events and look for 2 files: English_Player_Under_Attack_Idle_1.mp3 and English_Player_Under_Attack_Idle_2.mp3, and NO, DO NOT DELETE THEM. Deleting them will cause a CTD. Instead, we do something more fun..

STEP 2: Open them up in Audacity. (You'll have to do this one by one)

STEP 3: Select the whole track (Ctrl+A), and under the 'Generate' button in the toolbar, select 'Silence...'. A small window will come up, just click 'Generate Silence'. If you did this correctly, then the whole track will be just a single line.

STEP 4: Export the file as an .mp3 .. And overwrite the old file (KEEP A BACKUP OF THE OLD ONE). If there is any window that comes up about overwriting, just click 'Yes'.

STEP 5: Now that you've silenced the two tracks, delete Voice.dat and Voice.idx .. Don't worry, they'll be recreated. Start up the game. Wait awhile for the game to reconstruct the two files. Once that's done, try testing it ingame with (you) playing as an English army. Get your men under missile fire, and hear the silence.

That's it! We are done here. For the removing part. Hovever, if you love your advisor's voice when he says "Our men are under attack!", but not to nag you so often, then follow this part:

("DELAYING")
    I cannot quite pinpoint how does this work, but this somehow stops your advisor from saying the "Men under attack" line completely. I don't understand this part. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

STEP 1: Open up descr_sounds_units.txt

STEP 2: Scroll down, and change the number in this line "unit_under_attack_delay 120" to 240 or something else. I recommend 240. Save and close. You don't need to delete anything here.

Test it ingame and judge for yourself! In my opinion, it makes the battle rather quiet.. I feel rather lonely playing without his voice, but well, it's my opinion.

There you go. 2 ways to remove that annoying nag. Have fun in your battles!
    Last edited by BM309K58SMERCH; January 10, 2013 at 04:18 AM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: How to remove the "Our units are under attack!" speech

Would it not have been easier just to replace the text with another sound file voice as this would save on having to extract the sound files and mess around with them?

Good tutorial anyways

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Would it not have been easier just to replace the text with another sound file voice as this would save on having to extract the sound files and mess around with them?
    Well, in that way, you'll have something like "THE REICH SHOWS IT'S OBVIOUS SUPERIORITY THROUGH VICTORY!" ringing in your ears every 2 minutes while your men are getting wet hard by arrows.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Deleting the mp3 file will only result in a CTD if the referring entry in the text file is still present. Also, why not just delete or out-comment the corresponding line in the text file? This appears like breaking a butterfly on a wheel tbh.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Hmmm. I thought the lines (in the text) are 100% neccessary in the file and shouldn't be removed no matter what.
    EDIT: I tried it out. Even the subtitles are hidden! Why didn't I think of it before? This is what happens when I write a tutorial based on theory, not practice.