Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tweaking rs2

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Tweaking rs2

I can do some devastating charges even with celtic light cavalry. I think think the secrets are:

Do not charge an infantry unit if the unit is not already engaged.
    Wait for them to get tired before charging.
    Charge units with lower morale.

Rinse and repeat.

I believe that bad timed charges are less effective in RS2 because of units armour and mass.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Sertorio View Post
    I can do some devastating charges even with celtic light cavalry. I think think the secrets are:

Do not charge an infantry unit if the unit is not already engaged.
    Wait for them to get tired before charging.
    Charge units with lower morale.

Rinse and repeat.

I believe that bad timed charges are less effective in RS2 because of units armour and mass.
    It wasnt badly timed. It was a unit of Celtic noble cavalry pinned by my triarii. I charged it from the Side and back with the three units of cavalry you get in the beginning off the roman campaign.

And this was on medium battles

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

In that particular case i believe its a case of bad roman cavalry against very good galic cavalry led by HANNIBAL!!
    Donīt underestimate the power of the general.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Petite Wolf's Avatar Semisalis

What Sertorio said. Roman cavalry is greatly inferior to a quite a lot of other cavalry, especially Gallic cavalry, and when that cavalry is led by Hannibal, well then your crappy Roman cavalry will be quite ineffective. I mean, don't get me wrong Roman cavalry has its uses; it is just out-classed by Gallic cavalry, especially in the hands of a General like Hannibal.

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Wolf View Post
    What Sertorio said. Roman cavalry is greatly inferior to a quite a lot of other cavalry, especially Gallic cavalry, and when that cavalry is led by Hannibal, well then your crappy Roman cavalry will be quite ineffective. I mean, don't get me wrong Roman cavalry has its uses; it is just out-classed by Gallic cavalry, especially in the hands of a General like Hannibal.
    Ineffective I guess but I'm talking about the charge value. I know in melee they would get massacred but charging in the back of one, I expect more than 7-10 casualties

Petite Wolf's Avatar Semisalis

What were the conditions of the charge? Up hill, down hill, flat ground? And how tired were your units? Whether they're Fresh, Exhausted or any of the ones in between makes quite the difference in a charge. Also whether or not they actually had their spears down is an issue, as sometimes cavalry units will simply ride in to a unit with their spears still held up in the air.

Also the charge distance could be a problem. The shorter the charge the less effect it generally has.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1994 View Post
    Well elephants are godlymade in 2.5 and this is a known issue.I have altered my edus and have lowered their stats for realistic reason and works pretty well.Without any changes 2 units of cataphracts elephants will easily wipe out 3000 men perhaps more
    Quote Originally Posted by seleucid empire View Post
    What stats did you change them too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1994 View Post
    Ι lowered their armour.Now the cataphracts will inflict heavy loses but they will enventually dieif not supported
    If someone will want to find where to change those values, let me explain this.
    Please find your hard drive with RS2 installed. Then it looks like this:

Main folder\Rome Total War RS2 folder\Data\ many files
    You can find file called "export_descr_unit.txt".

The problem is that the same file is located in nearly every folder in RS2, because this mod uses multiple folders for its campaigns (e. g. Play_One_Turn, Play_Rome). So you need to change more than one file to effectively make a change in all RS2 campaigns.

Use notepad (or similar) and find text "elephant cataphract" then "stat_sec_armour 48, 3, flesh".
    What you need change is value 48 - which made those elephants immortal.
    You can use "stat_sec_armour 36, 1, flesh" or something less like 30, 32, 34.
    This should be enough. With armour of 36 elephants can die, but die seldom. With little lower they tend to act more realistically. But don't lower this more than 28 because other units are supposed to have less armour than cataphract elephants

Cheers.

I just wonder why devs didn't make a patch for it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123