Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to use the Assembly kit (Starpos is now up!)

Default How to use the Assembly kit (Starpos is now up!)

Hi!

This will be a tutorial on how to use the assembly kit to make different things. I will have video tutorials on different subjects that I will explain. The first video will be about how to make your own unit. Any feedback and suggestions on new topics are welcome. You'll have to excuse how I express myself or sound since this is my first video where I talk.
    Planned tutorials:
    *How to create a building
    *How to use working data/BOB

Some things that I make when I do the tutorial will be a part of my mod "Enhanced Rise of the samurai" so if you want to try my creations, then go to this link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=582604

Apparently the links are down so I provide them here:
    How to make a unit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAAn2JPSF-I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWO7AVs7qOU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5WPr7WXBQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH8UjMHPxug
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGnBZhKUMk
    How to edit/pack starpos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLMcp1G1Zqk

How to make a new unit

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

How to edit/pack startpos tables

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Ygge; March 09, 2013 at 03:56 PM.

Aussie-tosser's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: How to use the Assembly kit

Sweet! #rep

In part 4 while you were making the unit icon, what was the folder called at the bottom, recruitment...what?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie-tosser View Post
    In part 4 while you were making the unit icon, what was the folder called at the bottom, recruitment...what?
    recruitment_large - important if you want any image when you recruit the unit in the campaign.

Xorte-Renshe's Avatar Civis

Is it possible to have the Unit Editor use a mod pack file so that I can edit, visually, one of the units I've created from scratch using the PFM?
    As far as I've seen, it only uses either the basic data file or its own internal database. And, of course, when editting the variant_model file extracted from a mod pack file, it cant account for what unit type it is, and therefore you cant see its animations or weaponry when editting it in the Unit Editor. So, is there any way to see the model with animations and its weapon without having to create a new system of tables for it in DAVE?
    Last edited by Xorte-Renshe; January 09, 2013 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorte-Renshe View Post
    Is it possible to have the Unit Editor use a mod pack file so that I can edit, visually, one of the units I've created from scratch using the PFM?
    As far as I've seen, it only uses either the basic data file or its own internal database. And, of course, when editting the variant_model file extracted from a mod pack file, it cant account for what unit type it is, and therefore you cant see its animations or weaponry when editting it in the Unit Editor. So, is there any way to see the model with animations and its weapon without having to create a new system of tables for it in DAVE?
    Perhaps, Im not so familiar with PFM modding so you'd have to ask someone experienced in this matter.

Thanks for this Ygge, but I have two issues.
    1. It seems that my unit card is blank, what did I do wrong?
    2. Despite that I edited the uniform to be a certain colour in uniform editor, the uniform is still the factions default colour. I read that I had to change something in uniform_to_faction_colours_tables. Do you know anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie-tosser View Post
    Thanks for this Ygge, but I have two issues.
    1. It seems that my unit card is blank, what did I do wrong?
    2. Despite that I edited the uniform to be a certain colour in uniform editor, the uniform is still the factions default colour. I read that I had to change something in uniform_to_faction_colours_tables. Do you know anything about it?
    1. I had the same issue and the problem was the name of the icons for the units. They need to match the name for the unit in uniforms table. "Unit key" or something was it called, the middle one. "_icon" certainly needs to be removed from the UI names.

2. I have not done something like that but i'll check it out.

I did everything that the video said and I still can't see my units in game. D:< I know that is a really broad analysis of my problem. I went through and created a unit exactly to the same specifics of another ( I wanted to see if I could do it so I made an almost exact copy of the European Cannons *under the name European_Cannons_Long) because all I wanted to change was the range. But by the time I was done there was nothing in my game under the title. :[

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin-- View Post
    I did everything that the video said and I still can't see my units in game. D:< I know that is a really broad analysis of my problem. I went through and created a unit exactly to the same specifics of another ( I wanted to see if I could do it so I made an almost exact copy of the European Cannons *under the name European_Cannons_Long) because all I wanted to change was the range. But by the time I was done there was nothing in my game under the title. :[
    Did you check for the unit in custom battle? If so, you must edit in the units tables on "mp_avaibility" and change from false to true.

This was very helpful!

However...as I expected, I'm running into some trouble with the BOB. I end up with a .pack file that has tons of stuff I didn't edit, and nothing that I did.

On the progress screen, Database Export finishes with warnings. Convert Table to Binary entry:

There is no pack file to add a file to. Incorrect flag 2\assembly specified - should be append or replace
    add_building_units_allowed_table did not parse the entire stream - kit\working_data\db\building_units_allowed_tables\building_units_allowed remained unused

That or something very similar turns up for every database entry I added from the Raw Data.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolaris8472 View Post
    On the progress screen, Database Export finishes with warnings. Convert Table to Binary entry:

There is no pack file to add a file to. Incorrect flag 2\assembly specified - should be append or replace
    add_building_units_allowed_table did not parse the entire stream - kit\working_data\db\building_units_allowed_tables\building_units_allowed remained unused
    That happens when you install your mod tools in a directory containing spaces.
    Move them to c:\mod_tools or something; the directory path must be short and not contain any blanks.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Thanks, found your guide for setting it up and everything's working now

Default Re: How to use the Assembly kit (Part 5 of creating Unit is now up!)

Hey there, great guide however on part 3 when i need to load up for example the katana samurai and save it as my custom named unit and try to reload it. it doesnt appear in the unit editor list

You need to make records in the tables for it before you check for the unit in the unit editor. Go through the units, units_stats_land and etc and then check again. It could be the uniforms table.
    Last edited by Ygge; January 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM.

GMoon777's Avatar Libertus

thank you so much man!, i managed to make a mod myself (No dachi hero for date clan) couldn't find any tutorials so you are a legend

Quote Originally Posted by GMoon777 View Post
    thank you so much man!, i managed to make a mod myself (No dachi hero for date clan) couldn't find any tutorials so you are a legend
    You are welcome!

AUG351's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: How to use the Assembly kit (Starpos is now up!)

I made a unit recently and did everything the tutorial said, including the last fixes, but the unit still doesn't apear in game. I thought there could be a conflict with other mods, but I took out all my other mods and it still won't work. So far I've tried doing some changes to other vanilla units and nothing worlks, but the BOB extracts it to pack file without any problems but none of my mods hae worked so far. I have my tools installed in C:\Shogun2_Modding.

BTW can someone please post the mod manager here so I can redownload it again? I accidently deleted it and Iam typing the name of my mods in the user script instead.

What tables does your .pack file contain? You will need PFM to open it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=494248
    Also, does the game crash when you try your mods? Do you put them into the Shogun 2/data folder?
    Last edited by Ygge; January 27, 2013 at 02:32 PM.

AUG351's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Ygge View Post
    What tables does your .pack file contain? You will need PFM to open it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=494248
    Also, does the game crash when you try your mods? Do you put them into the Shogun 2/data folder?
    Well all the tables that are mentioned in the video that you need to edit to make the unit, nothing else. The game doesn't crash when I type mod "mod name.pack"; in the user script but the mod is nowhere to be found in the game. And yes, I put the pack file in the Shogun 2/data. Also I thought BOB is the pack file manager or is the PFM something else I need?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast