Thread: How to make musketeers fire by rank perfectly

BM309K58SMERCH's Avatar Centenarius

Default How to make musketeers fire by rank perfectly

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Hello, this is my fourth tutorial (this time i'll try to make my tutorials short as I noticed my others are long-ass in length). I'm going to finally reveal the method used to successfully achieve the most coveted feature for gunpowder units: Fire by rank.. Much like the musketeers in the mods Stainless Steel and Call of Warhammer and like the firearm units in the later Total War games. Example video: (thanks to noobmodder15)

This is mostly animation work, so I recommend you read this tutorial by me so that you have a general idea of how to make an animation in MS3D.

====REQUIREMENTS====
    • GOAT/GOAL 1.1 (I recommend 1.1 because it's the latest, and it's the version i'm using in this tutorial. If you're already using 1.01c for your models, you can still use 1.01c, but not 1.1, as it's not recommended to mix models between versions).
    • We'll be using the MTW2_Musket folder alot.. So I hope you have Caliban's animation pack downloaded and set up.
    • A Musketeer model (musketeers_lod0.ms3d).
    ====STEPS====

STEP 1: Animerge musketeers_lod0.ms3d with MTW2_Musket_attack_missile_hold.cas at 1 FPS. You should get a file called musketeers_lod0_animby_MTW2_Musket_attack_missile_hold.ms3d. Open it up in Milkshape.

STEP 2: Click on the "Anim" box. In the Max frame box and the Total frame box, change the values from (whatever it is in there..) to 3. If you don't know which is the Max frame box and the Total frame box, then you haven't read my tutorial, and I am dissapointed in you. The Max frame box is labelled (13), and the Total frame box is labelled (14).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

STEP 3: Move to the third frame, and delete the keyframes for all the joints.

STEP 4: Exit animation mode, then save (don't change the name! If they ask for an overwrite, then click yes).

STEP 5: Animextract the new animation. It should be called something like MTW2_Musket_attack_missile_hold_modified.cas. Rename it to into something more meaningful (like MTW2_Musket_attack_missile_hold_quick.cas).

STEP 6: Go over to your mod's animations folder, and create a new folder there. I'd say we call it MTW2_Volley for now.. Take your new .cas file, and place it inside. While you're still in the animations folder, delete skeletons.dat, skeletons.idx, pack.dat, and pack.idx. Here comes the final steps..

STEP 7: Open descr_skeleton (It's in your data folder). Look for MTW2_Musket, and scoll down to the ";;;Attack" animations. Copy this line:

Code:
    anim attack_missile_hold data/animations/MTW2_Musket/MTW2_Musket_attack_missile_hold.cas -fr -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Musket/MTW2_Musket_attack_missile_hold.evt
    Make a new descr_skeleton entry under the MTW2_Musket entry. Let the type be MTW2_Volley, the parent MTW2_Musket, and the reference_points "siege_engines/UnitModelsRefPoints/Musckett_Ref_Point.modelReferencePoints". Now paste the above line we copied earlier, and rename it to suit the new .cas name and directory so that it is something like this:

Code:
    anim attack_missile_hold data/animations/MTW2_Volley/MTW2_Musket_attack_missile_hold_quick.cas -fr -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Musket/MTW2_Musket_attack_missile_hold.evt
    Save and close.

STEP 8: Open the BMDB, search for the musketeers entry, and change the MTW2_Musket line into MTW2_Volley, and change the number before the words accordingly. Save and close.

STEP 9: Open the EDU, search for the musketeers entry, and remove the fire_by_rank attribute. Save and close.

STEP 10: Start up the game and test it. If you get something like this:

Then please note that you have followed my tutorial successfully, and your musketeers now fire by rank "perfectly".
    If you find those unfortunate 1-5 gunners who don't fire their guns annoying, then I will extend this tutorial to cover that area and fix it.
    Last edited by BM309K58SMERCH; February 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Fixed step 1.

Default Re: How to make musketeers fire by rank perfectly

I am so glad I pursued how to do this back in the day instead of waiting for someone else to find out. Thank you BM309K58SMERCH.

Original post:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Very good BM309K58SMERCH, very good even if those few gunners in the back didn't fired it is still good enough to be compared to SS or CoW.

Btw I should have given you this link to the CoW fire by rank just so you can have an idea between SS fire by rank and CoW.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akspPKTce3o

P.S. The video is old and the fire by rank has been changed to the point where the gun doesn't twist for reloading anymore.
    Last edited by Mike12096; November 04, 2022 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Original post very off-topic now in spoiler

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I don't have milkshape or GOAT. Could you by any chance upload the files to be placed in the data folder?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

No.

This would constitue uploading unmodified files.

If you want the modified files, install the respective mods.

Oh, okay. I was under the impression that basically this was telling you to make a new anim, in which case the anim made in making this could have been uploaded. Sorry.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=96522 are the CA unpacked ones you can modify to your heart's content.
    The modified ones you will have to contact the respective mod for their permission to use them.

Alright. My point was that I have no ability/experience/tools for this stuff, so I was asking for what the OP did. But thanks.

Hey. is it possible for i to change this so the european musketeers fire on after the other, and arquebusiers fire in a 3 by 3 formation (ie on rank couches and fires and the other fires after other)

Hey. is it possible for i to change this so the european musketeers fire on after the other, and arquebusiers fire in a 3 by 3 formation (ie on rank couches and fires and the other fires after other)

I want the units to fire all on one target. Can someone please tell me how to do this?

is there any one who can help me with this? my units still fire unsynced