Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 459

Thread: Submission & General Commentary Thread

  1. #421
    Diocle's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    More or less, where Desaix has fallen.
    Posts
    10,331

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    I feel the rules are pretty clear, with minor clarification needed at best.
    Yeah, also I have the same feeling, actually "the rules are pretty clear": "GEM and other sweetfx etc... are allowed" on POTW & GPOTW, instead, "GEM is forbidded on UESW section".

    So, even though the matter may be more complex, as KAM2150 wisely pointed out, I will stick scrupulously to wording of the text, at least as I understood it.

  2. #422
    KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    5,793

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    Please remember that f you have criticism for anything regarding competition rules, please be sure to keep them constructive and civil. The decision of competition mods (Noif in this case) is final. Good suggestions and civil discussion may change that if you are so inclined. So do as much, or do nothing at all

    That being said, as someone not a regular to these competitions anymore (must be almost 9 years now? ), I feel the rules are pretty clear, with minor clarification needed at best.
    Honestly this is the most civil and softspoken discussion I had seen on TWC for a very long time. I pointed out my ideas and thought on how to improve the amount of possible entries an why current system, while with good intention in minds, has certain flaws that forbid the participation of many people. I would just like to have a reply from Noif on the matter.

  3. #423
    Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    To the line of suggestions for a greater number of participants in the competitions, I could add the display of the winning images at the frontpage of TWC somewhere for a few days. This would not only increase the community awareness of that such competitions are regularly held, but also increase the interest of winning the competitons. And any mod featured in the winning image (if info about that had to be specified) would thereby get free advertisement, further stimulating the modding community.

    Thoughts?
    GNOTHI SEAUTON - Know thyself: precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece.
    MEDEN AGAN - Nothing in excess: another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place.


  4. #424
    spiderknight's Avatar Decanus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Republic Of Alberta
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    yeah im waiting to hear from noif as to whether we need a before and after pic for potw....if we dont ill start posting again

  5. #425
    Diocle's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    More or less, where Desaix has fallen.
    Posts
    10,331

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Guys, don't you think that even the silence of the law is itself law?

    Usually I follow this rule: " WHATEVER IS NOT EXPLICITLY FORBIDDEN IS PERMITTED." (at least, until someone with the necessary authority points out the contrary).

    I mean that Noif would have told us if there was the need to add something about the implementation of the rules, so, I don't think there is the need to wait, i.e. .. Spiderknight, please, give us your art!

  6. #426
    Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    I can imagine Noif getting tired of this discussion and I would understand him. As the rules are standing now, they permit GEM shots in POTW, as long as they're accompanied by an "unedited" version of that shot. A suggestion has been put forward to allow for GEM shots to be admitted to that competition without the usual second image, but if no answer is forthcoming on the issue, it means no change of rules, however minor. So you either adapt to those rules or stop participating in the competitions.

    I suggest everyone leaving it as simple as that. If management finds participation low as a consequence, chances are that they'll look for a change on their own accord.
    Last edited by Demokritos; May 14, 2016 at 09:50 AM.
    GNOTHI SEAUTON - Know thyself: precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece.
    MEDEN AGAN - Nothing in excess: another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place.


  7. #427
    spiderknight's Avatar Decanus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Republic Of Alberta
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Demokritos View Post
    I can imagine Noif getting tired of this discussion and I would understand him. As the rules are standing now, they permit GEM shots in POTW, as long as they're accompanied by an "unedited" version of that shot. A suggestion has been put forward to allow for GEM shots to be admitted to that competition without the usual second image, but if no answer is forthcoming on the issue, it means no change of rules, however minor. So you either adapt to those rules or stop participating in the competitions.

    I suggest everyone leaving it as simple as that. If management finds participation low as a consequence, chances are that they'll look for a change on their own accord.
    Noif was the one who made this a problem so he better not get tired of dealing with it. The previous admin had no issues with GEM and uesw and now with a few rule tweaks people such as myself have gone from regular contributors (with 27 wins) to nothing. This was the only part of the sight i was still active on but i guess life goes on .....

  8. #428
    wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Don't forget that people have a "Real Life", this could also explain Noif's silence.

    About the "GEM & other sweetFX" rule, the only remaining issue seems to be about PotW unedited version of the screen-shot.
    I suppose the reason why it is asked to post an unedited version of the screenshot is to be sure the PotW submission come from a real in game screenshot and, eventually, to show the work of the candidate to improve the original picture.
    Remember that :
    Submissions must be :
    • a screenshot or a video originating from any of the Total War series games or Modifications designed for them ;
    • a screenshot or a video originating from either the campaign map or the battle map :
      • All other entries such as loading screens will not be accepted as valid submissions ;
      • Animations, videos and renders are not allowed and will not be considered valid submissions ;

    • taken by yourself in-game. All other entries will not be considered valid submissions ;


    I don't think that providing original screenshot with GEM activated should is an issue as long as it show that the original picture come from true in-game screenshot.
    Of course, it would be better if an official statement could confirm it.


    « Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

  9. #429
    KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    5,793

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    I don't think that providing original screenshot with GEM activated should is an issue as long as it show that the original picture come from true in-game screenshot.
    Of course, it would be better if an official statement could confirm it.
    Well, that is actually an issue because every single time you make a screenshot you would need to pause and make two exact screenshots. Also sometimes the key is not working and you can't turn it off (like in my case for past few months). That is why I proposed that it would be nice solution to post you GEM settings in the spoiler so other people not only can judge the validity of if, but also if they like it, they can have exact same settings in their own game.

  10. #430
    wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    I suppose I didn't explain me in an understandable way.

    I wanted to tell that, in the case of PotW competion, providing an original picture with GEM activated isn't a problem, as long as the original picture show that it is an in-game screenshot.
    I suppose the original picture added to PotW competition is asked to prove that submission is compliant with "taken by yourself in-game", "screenshot originating from any TW series games or Modifications designed for them" and "screenshot originating from either the campaign map or the battle map" rules.


    « Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

  11. #431
    KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    5,793

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Well and this is again a problem, since when you press buttons like K or Alt + K, you hide your interface so there is no way to to tell. It would mean that submitted picture and original picture are two exact same screenshots. That is why I propose to add GEM settings in spoiler instead of uneditted picture. Or make category for GEM users, since most of screenshots I see those days in different mod threads are in fact made with GEM.

    You can't tell if those two screenshots are original GEM pictures or edited pictures (yes, they are original GEM pictures ; P)
    http://i.imgur.com/r5tKWl7.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/NMj9XXG.jpg

  12. #432
    Diocle's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    More or less, where Desaix has fallen.
    Posts
    10,331

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Sorry KAM it looks like that: or I'm totally out of mind, or you have still to get the point, which is, as said wangrim:

    Quote Originally Posted by wangrim
    providing an original picture with GEM activated isn't a problem, as long as the original picture show that it is an in-game screenshot.
    Do you understand KAM? On POTW nobody cares if you use GEM or if you do not use GEM! Understand KAM? "non gliene frega niente a nesssuno!", "nobody cares!", "monde se en fiche!", "niemand kümmert sich!", "nikogo nie obchodzi!", "κανείς δεν νοιάζεται", "a nadie le importa" ... on POTW, nobody cares if you use GEM or not!

  13. #433
    wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    France
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Sorry, but I don't understand where is the problem in the case of PotW.

    If the goal of the "original" screenshot is to prove submission come from a real in-game picture, it is not a problem if you use GEM or not for the screenshot.
    Activating GEM in this case doesn't misrepresent the in-game picture, it is still clear if it comes from an in-gamescreenshot or not.
    Same with game interface, it should be easy to recognize an in-game screenshot from a scene created using third party tools with or without hiding UI.

    EDIT : sorry, Diocle was faster than me


    « Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

  14. #434
    KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    5,793

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Then if I understand you guys, my valid POTW submission will be just two exact same pictures in the presented entry and in unedited spoiler picture. Well, we will see how Noif will judge it.

  15. #435
    Diocle's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    More or less, where Desaix has fallen.
    Posts
    10,331

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Then if I understand you guys, my valid POTW submission will be just two exact same pictures in the presented entry and in unedited spoiler picture. Well, we will see how Noif will judge it.
    Sorry KAM, but in my humble opinion, you can do whatever you want with your two screenshots on POTW:

    1 - You can post a GIMP unedited screen and then a second edited screen, which is the edited version of the previous one, using GIMP as basis on which working (usually this is the way I follow).

    2 - You can post just your GIMP screen as it is without the need of posting the second screen.

    3 - You can deactivate GIMP and then posting just one unedited and GIMP-free screen.

    4 - Or you can post a GIMP-free screen as basis and a second edited screen using the GIMP-free screen as basis.

    5 - You can even post 2 identical GIMP screens, if you like it (even though I don't see any actual reason to do this .. but in art we don't need any rational reason for doing something, art in fact follows other roads to wisdom!).

    6 - You can deactivate GIMP and take a screen and then reactivate it taking the second screen, it's slightly complex as methodology, but can complexity stop our art? No, of course it cannot!

    I'm pretty sure there are other (infinite) combinations, but let me point out that the he only thing you cannot do it's renouncing to post your art! It would be an act of infinite cruelty against us, your innocent fans!

  16. #436
    Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar PEACE IS A LIE
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    5,362

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Sorry ladies and gentlemen my absent, because my busy IRL (exams and new busy schedule with summer school campus) and also had some sick leave days (total burnout) and I was busy with upcoming Total war: Warhammer mod (modder stuff) ...


    I also talked with Hader about this situation and he also watched new changes. Hader said for me and even here that: this new rule is really understanding and clear. While talking, I made bit clearing to rules and saw my posts here. I saw my words, what I said here went to blind ears.

    To make clear for all once one...

    Why did I forbidden GEM and other FXs from UESW? To make my judgement easier and no need talk with my art staff, "does this follow the rule or not"; or send mails for you that "is this edited" or "what you have done for it?". It is not my fault if you make UESW picture look very much like edited and make my work harder. I know that "GEM" have other "hotkey" to disable/enable GEM off/on. If you can't adapt to new rule, maybe do something for it?

    CLEAR?

    Remember that you are allowed use GEM in POTW and GPOTW just normally like old time (seem some of you misunderstood with this case). I highly recommend to read twice or many times my posts before you make rant posting here or mail for me. I will not reply to those mails.

    Don't become salty person and not be rude in your posts, otherwise calling Hader here to get straight line here. Even I don't want be mad, angry or unfair host for anybody, not for our loyal people, who attending to picture of the week. I only do my job and follow rules and if I see something suspect, I mail it early to make quick changes but unfortunately I can't wait forever your reply if you are absents too and your picture require some changes. If your picture not get into week competition. It is not end of the world. Quick fix it and if it not get in to vote session, then move to next submission thread. Don't take this so seriously this competition. Even I have my own problems too and maybe not have good mood.

    Questions?

    Good... New POTW, UESW and GPOTW rounds + winner announcements will start and come tomorrow afternoon.
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; May 25, 2016 at 05:10 PM.

  17. #437
    spiderknight's Avatar Decanus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Republic Of Alberta
    Posts
    548

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Noif de Bodemloze View Post
    Sorry ladies and gentlemen my absent, because my busy IRL (exams and new busy schedule with summer school campus) and also had some sick leave days (total burnout) and I was busy with upcoming Total war: Warhammer mod (modder stuff) ...


    I also talked with Hader about this situation and he also watched new changes. Hader said for me and even here that: this new rule is really understanding and clear. While talking, I made bit clearing to rules and saw my posts here. I saw my words, what I said here went to blind ears.

    To make clear for all once one...

    Why did I forbidden GEM and other FXs from UESW? To make my judgement easier and no need talk with my art staff, "does this follow the rule or not"; or send mails for you that "is this edited" or "what you have done for it?". It is not my fault if you make UESW picture look very much like edited and make my work harder. I know that "GEM" have other "hotkey" to disable/enable GEM off/on. If you can't adapt to new rule, maybe do something for it?

    CLEAR?

    Remember that you are allowed use GEM in POTW and GPOTW just normally like old time (seem some of you misunderstood with this case). I highly recommend to read twice or many times my posts before you make rant posting here or mail for me. I will not reply to those mails.

    Don't become salty person and not be rude in your posts, otherwise calling Hader here to get straight line here. Even I don't want be mad, angry or unfair host for anybody, not for our loyal people, who attending to picture of the week. I only do my job and follow rules and if I see something suspect, I mail it early to make quick changes but unfortunately I can't wait forever your reply if you are absents too and your picture require some changes. If your picture not get into week competition. It is not end of the world. Quick fix it and if it not get in to vote session, then move to next submission thread. Don't take this so seriously this competition. Even I have my own problems too and maybe not have good mood.

    Questions?

    Good... New POTW, UESW and GPOTW rounds + winner announcements will start and come tomorrow afternoon.
    I still dont get this...the previous admin trusted that we would follow the rules and we did. Anytime there was a disagreement it seemed we discused it here. Now you come along and "make your life easier" by changing the rules when there really wasnt a problem. All you had to do was trust us. (which for us regulars i dont think it would be to hard a thing)

    So for POTW are we just supposed to post the same pic twice if we use gem? im not turning off my gem setting to get a before pic.... Can we just post the one pic? I just dont get why this had to be switched around for no apparent reason.
    It seem given the current uesw entrys that the message still hasnt gotten across to us plebs but what ever ....

  18. #438
    Diocle's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    More or less, where Desaix has fallen.
    Posts
    10,331

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    May I add a small note?

    Sorry Noif, but GIMP can be used also in non-TW games!

    Actually there are many GIMP's versions implemented for a lot of games, you can verify the thing on ModDB and/or on the site of the guy who created the original small program, if my memory isn't yet gone, you can find the link on the GIMP's page on TWC.

  19. #439
    one day's Avatar Semisalis
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    And need we two competitions for TW still ? Unite the POTW and UESW as it was, and there will be no problem. Maybe this would increase interest in the contest and its prestige. (And less work for the Noif.)
    Last edited by one day; May 30, 2016 at 05:11 AM.

  20. #440
    Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar PEACE IS A LIE
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    5,362

    Default Re: Submission & General Commentary Thread

    Hello!

    I want remind that GPOTW 17 is still out of submissions, so please send your non-total war games into it.

    - Noif de Bodemloze

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •