Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BC 2.3.2 my experince

Default Re: BC 2.3.2 my experince

Quote Originally Posted by Mamertine View Post
    Do you have issues with your archers hitting that back of your infantry with this? I honestly haven't tried firing archers that weren't in front since vanilla.

If so, how far away are is the enemy unit when you cease fire, assuming you are on flat land and not a hill?
    No never but saying that my archers are always a good two/three/four meter's back so their not sitting on top of each other so to speak.

I don't cease fire my archers are on auto, it is better to shower shoot one unit at a time for killing effectiveness but there are just too many archers and too many moving targets (HA's) so I just let them auto fire works any way.
    It's pretty epic, kind of reminds you of that bit in 300 when the persians fire so many arrows at once, but foot archers can out shoot HA's distance wise.

Lastly increase your quiver size to 30 minimum otherwise you'll run out of arrows, HA's make for bigger targets and as your stationary your rate and mass of fire will be better, just remember to have at least 10 or so units of archers around 3/4 of your army or just under.
    Last edited by Ansar Warrior; January 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansar Warrior View Post
    Interesting, I played as Oman and I conquered the entire map admittedly that was on 2.02 but it only makes a slight difference in how you set up, what is your main issue is it money or winning battles?
    Money, I'm always short on it

Money - is the same for every faction, you need to focus on buildings that give you finances so docks, markets anything that increases trade, or production etc.
    Do you manually control your build tree or do you let the CPU do it on auto? I never do the auto, I manually do it.
    I control it manually

If it's trouble with battles I'm your man for advice on that because not only did I manage it, I'm historically very well versed in what the Arabic nations strengths are in battle even though there's not many, the Rashidun Caliphate tactics work very well and once I had money for better armour and units I was practically unstoppable.
    Wait, are you saying you use historical tactics in battle and they actually work? That's pretty interesting...

My other problem -beside money- is that battles with other factions feel meaningless, because for every stack I beat when I was fighting Ghurids there were 2 full stacks behind it and after beating each stack there was always more coming at a time when I couldn't really make more units... idk if it was just because Ghurids were larger than me but it was rather annoying... then the Abbasids attacked my small Doha fort and arrived at my poorly defended core lands while I'm already struggling against the Ghurids. I like some challenge but that's too much.
    And like I previously said, if none of that happens and I'm allowed to live happily then that's only because the Abbasids are being hammered by a massive Roman Empire... they need a serious nerf.

>Interesting, I played as Oman and I conquered the entire map admittedly that was on 2.02

significantly harder in the newer versions as the ghurids go on a rampage, still possible to secure the persian forts and that vital trading city and then build a strong defensive force.

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    >Interesting, I played as Oman and I conquered the entire map admittedly that was on 2.02

significantly harder in the newer versions as the ghurids go on a rampage, still possible to secure the persian forts and that vital trading city and then build a strong defensive force.
    I went West and left East till last, I believe I didn't even hold on to Gwader, I conquered Arabia then Egypt, then the Levant, Turkey, Iraq and so on, left East till last.

The Kypchaks in the NW were my final stop, the forces I was able to send there were off the damn charts lol, imagine having all but one territory and the money that comes with it.

Think I marched into their Steppe lands with about 10 or so stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by garudamon11 View Post
    Wait, are you saying you use historical tactics in battle and they actually work? That's pretty interesting...

My other problem -beside money- is that battles with other factions feel meaningless, because for every stack I beat when I was fighting Ghurids there were 2 full stacks behind it and after beating each stack there was always more coming at a time when I couldn't really make more units... idk if it was just because Ghurids were larger than me but it was rather annoying... then the Abbasids attacked my small Doha fort and arrived at my poorly defended core lands while I'm already struggling against the Ghurids. I like some challenge but that's too much.
    And like I previously said, if none of that happens and I'm allowed to live happily then that's only because the Abbasids are being hammered by a massive Roman Empire... they need a serious nerf.
    Tell me about it, I'm playing as the Guhrid's currently and built up a pretty mean kingdom, I was prepping for the Mongol invasion and had done so accordingly however my alliance was in competition with another being Kwarzem, Oman and the Solanki Rajput's .... We were beating up on them nicely and the Mongols wiped out Kwarezm but then turned on me whilst the enemy alliance similtaneously attacked me from all sides, now I have Solanki's on my right, Mongols on my left and Oman to the South all around my homeland .... excellent lol.

Yes I do use historical tactics because the strengths are similar and the units are pretty accurate (the game was made very well).

I went West and left East till last, I believe I didn't even hold on to Gwader, I conquered Arabia then Egypt, then the Levant, Turkey, Iraq and so on, left East till last.

The Kypchaks in the NW were my final stop, the forces I was able to send there were off the damn charts lol, imagine having all but one territory and the money that comes with it.

Think I marched into their Steppe lands with about 10 or so stacks.
    I did this way with Oman as well... Yemen then Horn then Makuria and up the Nile. Was already past Aswan before had any enemies near Arabia. Pretty much only had 2 full armies but that was all that was needed. It helps alot if disband several armies at start to build the first buildings and then use the lower tier units you can recruit for awhile.

Hey Nein,

I need yr help. First thanks for telling about HA in Afghan lands, that really helped, as i went to ghurid lands with small army and always hired HA mercenaries. (Man fighting in Afghan highlands is fun, i am terrorizing ghurid army with my HA BC map is genius.)

Now my main question. i am in year 1217, expecting mongols. i'm trying to concentrate on bridges as you suggested. I found 3 bridges: 1 in the middle of desert near Gurgench. 1 near Bukhara and 1 near Balkh.
    Is there any shallow passage near any of those 3 bridges so my cav can cross when needed. I am trying to use the following tactic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvY2iN6uP2w

zburanuki's Avatar Ducenarius

@qarluq o'g'lan:

i remenber from my campaign with the shahs (and after i looked again the map) that there 2 bridges close to gurganj, one river passage in the frontier of gurganj and bukhara, 2 river passages close to bukhara, one passage with a fort in samarqand and only one river passage in balkh. for me, you can defend the bridges around gurganj and maybe the river papssage in the frontier (even if it's an open filed battle) if the AI is so clever to take that way. you cant defend bukhara because the have about 11 stacks so the re's no way to beat them, and in the fort in samarqand it' very easy to starve you out. i suggest you to ''give'' them (not by diplomacy) bukhara and samarqand defend the 3 passages of gurganj and lure them to balkh and in general in afghanistan. the most times the mongols sack samarqnd and bukhara and even the have new homeland the settlements become rebels. then you have to lead them to afghanistan and make them take firuzkukh (new homeland again). after the homeland event you can declare a wonderful Jihad and make them ''run like children'', once they lose their home land they lose all their units and you have the rebel mongol generals at your mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Qarluq o'g'lan View Post
    Hey Nein,

I need yr help. First thanks for telling about HA in Afghan lands, that really helped, as i went to ghurid lands with small army and always hired HA mercenaries. (Man fighting in Afghan highlands is fun, i am terrorizing ghurid army with my HA BC map is genius.)

Now my main question. i am in year 1217, expecting mongols. i'm trying to concentrate on bridges as you suggested. I found 3 bridges: 1 in the middle of desert near Gurgench. 1 near Bukhara and 1 near Balkh.
    Is there any shallow passage near any of those 3 bridges so my cav can cross when needed. I am trying to use the following tactic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvY2iN6uP2w
    Who are you playing with?

Just a heads up that tactic you are talking about above look out for the fact that if you stand any where near the bridge the Mongols have 3/4 or more of their army who can attack from distance (arrows) if you try to cross the bridge or stand their waiting your going to take heavy casualty's, oh and no I don't think you can cross rivers only if you use the bridge, although I don't think I've checked?

I just fought the Mongols as the Guhrids and they were tougher than I remember, I made an entire stack of Ghurid Heavy axemen in anticipation of taking back cities from Mongols and that stack was of elite troops was slaughtered in one sitting, as my army was walking through the castle gates they engaged me walking in while hundreds of horse archers fired into my ranks while I was stuck just inside the gateway.
    that game was lost because I was attacked by Oman, Solanki's and the Mongols all at once, first game I've lost in a while.

I then went to a former game I had in the same region but with Kwarezm and I destroyed the Mongols because the Kwarezm have good Persian spearmen while the Ghorids have none, I've now taken over the whole of the East (hate those Elephants).
    Last edited by Ansar Warrior; January 19, 2013 at 06:37 AM.

Mamertine's Avatar Tiro

No never but saying that my archers are always a good two/three/four meter's back so their not sitting on top of each other so to speak.

I don't cease fire my archers are on auto, it is better to shower shoot one unit at a time for killing effectiveness but there are just too many archers and too many moving targets (HA's) so I just let them auto fire works any way.
    It's pretty epic, kind of reminds you of that bit in 300 when the persians fire so many arrows at once, but foot archers can out shoot HA's distance wise.

Lastly increase your quiver size to 30 minimum otherwise you'll run out of arrows, HA's make for bigger targets and as your stationary your rate and mass of fire will be better, just remember to have at least 10 or so units of archers around 3/4 of your army or just under.
    Thanks. I kind of want to try that tactic now. What factions would you recommend? Seems like solid foot archers and spearmen make up the bulk of your armies. Do you use cavalry? How? Heavy or light? Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamertine View Post
    Thanks. I kind of want to try that tactic now. What factions would you recommend? Seems like solid foot archers and spearmen make up the bulk of your armies. Do you use cavalry? How? Heavy or light? Etc.
    I would use either the Ottoman Janissary's or the Kwarezm Persian archers/spearmen mainly because they are elite archers and I'm sentimental when it comes to history and know they operated this method however I don't see why it wouldn't work using similar units from any faction.

I would try it out first on a custom battle.

@ansar, man you were right about mongols. But i have interesting situation. so when mongols appeared i was at war with ghourids. Mostly, battle fields to make my "infidel" gens stronger.

In 1221, mongols still scouting my kingdom, my killers gave "gift from the Sultan" to 7 mongol generals.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9207802...in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9207802...n/photostream/

Then they attacked Gurgench, and "one less infidel saw sunrise" (sieging mong gen).
    My "infidel" army attacked the bridge (as advised by many).

I learnt 3 things: 1.mongols are way harder than custom battles; 2.catapults are the best weapon at bridge fight, but don't attack with 2 at the same time, because you might loose one from mongol arrows; 3.If mongols are not crossing the bridge, do not cross yourself. They lost 1 pack while crossing the bridge. Then came their reinforcement and started showering my army, but they never crossed bridge. I sped up time, no success, then instead of withdrawing i crossed the bridge and man trust me i saw "genocide" of my soldiers for the first time.

2nd time i attacked bridge with 2 more catapults and massacred 2 survived packs and gave great damage to 1 fresh pack and of course lost my pack. they lost 2 more packs at Gurgench castle and burnt it down. Then terror reached Khiveh and Merv. so, now they have 5 full packs and 2 original generals (new ones getting gifts from sultan) and i am hunting down small packs and withdrawing from battle when their reinforcement comes. I am waiting them to settle, as advised by Sir Zburanuki, so i can call jihad.

i don't know if you play with byzantineboy's submod, but i do and in that submod the mongols have about 20 full stacks (but for some reason i'm in 1232 and they still walking around bukhara) and they are much harder to defeat them as the shahs. anyway, you 're going pretty well, but make sure that you have a four star imam to declare a jihad and make sure that it hasn't been called any jihad lately. if you don't have a four star imam then i suggest you to continue harrasing them (if your economics allow that). also i have a question how many full stack you had when they invaded and also now that you lost merv, khiveh and gurganj how can you reform your armies?
    Last edited by zburanuki; January 22, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qarluq o'g'lan View Post
    Nein, thanks man. I will def pay attention to the stars by now.
    command stars give morale bonus to the army a general lead, as is chivalry points, but what you should truly fear is dread points, dread kill enemy morale, high dreaded AI general = your units flee even before come into contact with AI general, they will flee even when they just happen to be near that high dreaded general unit not engaging any physical contact.

qarluq, if you are lucky enough you can leave the mongols take gurganj (new homeland event will pop up) and after 2-3 turns gurganj will revolt and then say good bye to the mongols for ever that exactly happened in my campaign i play now with the shahs after waiting the mongols to attack me in 1235.

zburanuki,

They appeared with 10-11 stacks. I am not playing any submods as i am new to this mod.
    Well, i didn't claim any rebel cities besides Transoxianian cities and Astrakhan and Gorgan in the beginning. I sent Mohammad Khwarizmshah to ocean settlement and got Shiraz (easily as ghourids or seljuks attacked it before me i guess and killed most of its units) and whole persia was under seljuks and ghourids, so my kingdom got divided. Oman attacked me and i invaded oman and made it my vassal. then mongols appeared. my 2nd general qutuz was just fighting field battles against ghourids.

Mongols never settled, after destroying transoxiana, they started war with ghourids, i am not sure how their war broke out, as my map is shaded. but ghourids kicked their *** while fighting fighting seljuks and me. so far KoJ, Ghaznavids and mongols are destroyed. So far i got most of persia and half of afghanistan from ghourids and making my way to transoxiana. As i noticed if any of their generals is close to settlement and you attack that general, army of settlements comes as a reinforcement. and when i beat them settlement is under my mercy. that way i took hormuz and zarang by chance (before mongols appeared).

only one time the mongols choosed to attack the ghurids and make their way to the afghanian mountains and claim ghazni, but the ghurids easily destroyed them. as you saw the mongols is just a myth

zburanuki, lmao. nice sarcasm. i didn't say that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123