Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Don't make people more swarthy than they were historically

Civis

Default Re: Don't make people more swarthy than they were historically

quite the discussion, that's for sure. I still feel a little odd about it all, though, since I read 'don't make people more swarthy that they were historically' as 'don't make em black.'

:/

the online debates about ancient Egyptian skin colour, whether Hannibal Barca was black, etc. have been going on forever. There's no end in sight. There's just not enough conclusive evidence.

I'd appreciate CA going for a greater degree of historical accuracy with Rome II, for sure. Doubt i'd get up in arms when my Roman full-stack army doesn't have exactly x % toe heads to brunettes.

The fact that they'll have different faces, not move in perfect sync, and will attack individuals instead of the air, is awesome enough that this is not exactly a deal breaker for me.

it's just interesting to see how.. passionate the forum-goers are
    TRIPTYCK
    'Carthago delenda est.'

Der Phönix's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by triptyck View Post
    quite the discussion, that's for sure. I still feel a little odd about it all, though, since I read 'don't make people more swarthy that they were historically' as 'don't make em black.'

:/

the online debates about ancient Egyptian skin colour, whether Hannibal Barca was black, etc. have been going on forever. There's no end in sight. There's just not enough conclusive evidence.

I'd appreciate CA going for a greater degree of historical accuracy with Rome II, for sure. Doubt i'd get up in arms when my Roman full-stack army doesn't have exactly x % toe heads to brunettes.

The fact that they'll have different faces, not move in perfect sync, and will attack individuals instead of the air, is awesome enough that this is not exactly a deal breaker for me.

it's just interesting to see how.. passionate the forum-goers are
    I'm no schoolar on the English language but does "swarthy" explicitly refer to skin tone though?

I don't really think Afro-cemtrism is comparable. There are Afro-centrists who claim that everything from the Vikings to Beethoven were tropical africans.
    Assess - Adapt - Attack

Civis

it means 'dark of complexion.'
    from Anglo Saxon sweart, black or dark. Related to Old Norse svartr, or German schwarz

Maybe I'm reading too much into semantics.... I studied Anglo Saxon lit in uni, so....
    TRIPTYCK
    'Carthago delenda est.'

Comes Limitis

Look at Arnold Schwarznegger and how he turned out...
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

Good thread. And for people complaining how this topic got so long, well, it would be half its length if you didn't have (1) posters making sarcastic one-liners about how this is supposedly racism and (2) people displaying their racism by refusing to accept interesting evidence that the make-up of ancient populations could've been different that it is today.

OP and the other contributors; you guys do an amazing job to remain so calm and clear in your responses when faced with such ignorant, pre-programmed insults and fudging. Unfortunately it is prevalent in today's society where people would rather believe PC propaganda than have an honest look at a few facts.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567