Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced Rise of the Samurai V 1.11

Icon1 Enhanced Rise of the Samurai V 1.11

2D artist needed, pm me for more information

Hello!

This mod aims to enhance your RotS experience with for example new units, new buildings and balancing. The mod does not enhance historical accuracy but enhances gameplay. You'll install this mod by downloading the attached file and unzip it into the Shogun 2 data folder. By default the directory should be : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\data
    Then you tick the "RotS" in mod manager to play the mod.

The soundfix is not required anymore

Current version: V1.11

This is most of the changes Ive made:

New units
    *Spear Samurai
    *Naginata Samurai
    *Sword Levy
    *Spear Levy
    *Pirate Mercenary
    *Spear Attendants
    *Armed Priests

Imported units
    * Mangonels

New buildings
    *The Blacksmith
    *The Archery Range
    *The Fighting Grounds
    *The Pirate Hideout
    *The Pirate Fortress
    *The Sake Brewery
    *The Tavern

Other
    *Nerfed Foot Samurai
    *Nerfed armor for some units
    *Cheaper to buy generals
    *Levy units bigger size but weaker
    *Longer until Realm divide
    *Honour and loyality effects now applies to AI
    *All RotS factions playable in custom battles
    *20 more years
    *Changed diplomacy attitudes
    *More unit variety
    *No technology researched at start
    *Alliance now increases in value from 20 to 80.
    *Realm Divide decreases in value from -10 to -60
    *New unit-cards
    *New Campaign mini map

Changelog
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

V1.11
    Other
    *Updated unit-cards
    *New mini campaign map
    *Sound Fix is not required anymore
    *Minor unit-variety changes

v1.1
    New units
    *Spear Levy
    *Pirate Mercenary
    *Spear Attendants
    *Armed Priests

New buildings
    *Pirate Hideout
    *Pirate Fortress
    *Sake Brewery
    *Tavern

Other
    *New unit-cards

I am planning to add more units, more buildings and more balancing. I might do some other minor changes too. Feel free to comment the mod, give some new ideas or suggestions and report bugs. Remember that you need Rise of the Samuai DLC to play this mod. This mod is also up on Workshop.

Screenshots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Ygge; February 10, 2013 at 04:28 AM.

Default Re: Enhanced Rise of the Samurai

Woot for some RotS love. You should get rid of RD though ;D.

Hi - I think you should make clear that this mod is "enhanced" only by adding a greater number of unit types and making stats changes for pure gameplay purposes no matter how un-historical because most of the new additions are fantasy for this period.
    Last edited by Yoshitsune1189; January 04, 2013 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshitsune1189 View Post
    Hi - I think you should make clear that this mod is "enhanced" only by adding a greater number of unit types and making stats changes for pure gameplay purposes no matter how un-historical because most of the new additions are fantasy for this period.
    Thanks for the advise! I will do that. My goal is to add things that enhance the gameplay, not historical accuracy. I will however not add completely off-topic units like matchlock or cannons.

For update V.1.1 I plan to add Pirate-units, new buildings and perhaps naval pirate unit. I will also in a near future add a Clan pack to this mod with 6 playable factions. This will be put in an optional pack because some people may want to play this mod with the default factions.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthShizNit View Post
    Woot for some RotS love. You should get rid of RD though ;D.
    I would like to but I have no idea on how to remove it completely. Thats why I made so that it takes more fame before RD.

New update v1.1 bringing:

New units
    *Spear Levy
    *Pirate Mercenary
    *Spear Attendants
    *Armed Priests

New buildings
    *Pirate Hideout
    *Pirate Fortress
    *Sake Brewery
    *Tavern

Other
    *New unit-cards

What are these spear and naginata Samurai? Are they, like Foot Samurai, dual purpose units?

No, they fill the same nische as their cousins in the regular Shogun 2 campaign.

Default Re: Enhanced Rise of the Samurai V 1.11

I have now provided an update that remake unit-cards, new mini map and some other minor changes. Also, the soundfix should not be needed anymore since I have incorporated it into my mod. Enjoy V1.11!

Great mod, but just wondering if it's possible to add magonels to rots only? As in, it's own mod?

Thanks

Quogie's Avatar Foederatus

oh so this is what your working on!~ , cool i havnt played much of Rots/or Fots have all dlc, but only play normal campaign tryed like 101 goes at geting Masamune, but failed lol. anyway will try this out later, will also have a lookie in the file pack and hopefully find out want i keep doing wrong 100% of the time lol

Quote Originally Posted by demowhc View Post
    Great mod, but just wondering if it's possible to add magonels to rots only? As in, it's own mod?

Thanks
    It is! Do you want me to do that for you?

Himster's Avatar Praeses

I'm downloading this excellent looking mod.

Can banners be modded? Gempei banners were quite important.
    Also what models are you using for pirates?
    (I love the armed priest idea)

If I might be so bold may I make some suggestions as to what may be possible to add for game play and also (to a lesser extent) historical accuracy:
    Spears could be rare: and perhaps could be made to look more Chinese (wider and shorter) rather than sengoku.
    Mangonels weren't around, but ballistae were, I doubt it's possible to mod historically accurate ballistae, so mangonels make for good substitutes and could have been in Japan as they were in China at the time.
    Horo were used at this time but in small numbers and could be implemented on the hero samurai units, they'd look great and be an excuse to make them tougher to kill.
    Naval units with sails inspired by Chinese counterparts: masts and sails are mentioned repeatedly in the tale of the Heike, the best model available for this is the red-seal ship, this could be used as a one of a kind capital ship like the Nihon Maru.
    Aesthetic suggestion: Samurai variety, let's face it there isn't great variety as of now, but there are some skin components from the vanilla that could be implemented, specifically the shoulder-pads, the Shimazu Daimyo has perfect substitutes and torso components could be taken from almost anywhere for improved variety and beauty, even warrior monks as anyone could be a samurai as long as they could fight well and could afford a horse.
    Sashimono: which units get them? The more elite units I hope, if not, no matter: they look great. Oh and Minamoto banners/sashimno should be white, not blue, but this is a minor thing.
    "Sword" levy couldn't really all have many expensive/rare/semi-exotic swords, maybe some of them could have clubs and rakes and broken naginata?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Previews on the next patch will be up soon.

Can banners be modded?
    They can. Do you have any suggestions on change of banners?
    Also what models are you using for pirates?
    Since it is very hard to implent new models into Shogun 2 I have picked existing models into my own variation. Some of the models that are available are not used in vanilla Shogun too.
    If I might be so bold may I make some suggestions as to what may be possible to add for game play and also (to a lesser extent) historical accuracy
    Thank you for your suggestions. To be honest I have been working on v1.2 for some time now and one of my main priorities is historical accuracy. I will look into your thoughts and see what I can do. I will remove the mangonels and a few other unhistorical things in the mod but I will make them available as an addition for people that still want them.
    Horo were used at this time but in small numbers and could be implemented on the hero samurai units, they'd look great and be an excuse to make them tougher to kill.
    Horo is a great idea! The new version will contain some new Samurai units and hero-like units will probably be in.
    Naval units with sails inspired by Chinese counterparts: masts and sails are mentioned repeatedly in the tale of the Heike, the best model available for this is the red-seal ship, this could be used as a one of a kind capital ship like the Nihon Maru.
    Ill look into your chinese ship. More ideas on ships are very welcome aswell. This far I have made 3 new naval units and they are all pirates.
    Aesthetic suggestion: Samurai variety, let's face it there isn't great variety as of now, but there are some skin components from the vanilla that could be implemented, specifically the shoulder-pads, the Shimazu Daimyo has perfect substitutes and torso
    You know what? Me and another guy, SODK, who is working on this mod, are making new textures for both existing and new units. This will bring greater variety, especially from clan to clan.
    "Sword" levy couldn't really all have many expensive/rare/semi-exotic swords, maybe some of them could have clubs and rakes and broken naginata?
    Sword Levy will probably not be in the base mod the next patch. I am trying to figure out how to add new weapon models to the game.
    Last edited by Ygge; February 09, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

Minamoto Kiba Samurai

These samurai have dedicated their lives to the Minamoto clan. They have spent long time training with bows and they excel in battle. Mounted on horse thet get respect, but it is not cheap.
    They are richer than their fellow Kachi and that also brings better training.Way superior anyone on foot, these Samurai are worth bringing to the battlefield and they are very reliable.

Last edited by Ygge; February 12, 2013 at 09:48 AM.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ygge View Post
    They can. Do you have any suggestions on change of banners?
    Yup:
    Sengoku banners (in shogun 2) were basically enlarged sashimono, in the Gempei war banners were taken from family temples and replicated, the difference being the shape, the banners used now have an "L" shape, Gempei banners had a "T" shape. This has been modded on the campaign map before and looked great, but I don't know if it has been done in battle map.

Since it is very hard to implent new models into Shogun 2 I have picked existing models into my own variation. Some of the models that are available are not used in vanilla Shogun too.
    Thank goodness, I liked the Radious' mod of ROTS but the ninja and sengoku pirate mercs really ruined the immersion, it was such a shame.

Thank you for your suggestions. To be honest I have been working on v1.2 for some time now and one of my main priorities is historical accuracy. I will look into your thoughts and see what I can do. I will remove the mangonels and a few other unhistorical things in the mod but I will make them available as an addition for people that still want them.
    A fair compromise.

Ill look into your chinese ship. More ideas on ships are very welcome aswell. This far I have made 3 new naval units and they are all pirates.
    Ok.
    To be honest a historically accurate representation of Gempei naval warfare is impossible on this engine, in the depictions the majority of vessels are seen to be 7 man boats, the numbers of these boats reaching as high as a thousand per battle. Not feasible.

I only suggested the red seal trade-ship because it has a chinese look about it and at this time Japanese culture was only beginning to really break away from chinese influences and also the repeated sail references in the historical sources and the lack of sail ships in the game.

Oh, also: is it possible to give an ammunition bar to naval units due to the lack of hand to hand combat in the current game and the hand to hand combat referenced in the historical sources.

You know what? Me and another guy, SODK, who is working on this mod, are making new textures for both existing and new units. This will bring greater variety, especially from clan to clan.
    Sword Levy will probably not be in the base mod the next patch. I am trying to figure out how to add new weapon models to the game.
    This all sounds great.
    Sorry for all my suggestions, I just got really obsessed with the Gempei war about a year ago for some reason, I even gave modding a half-arsed go, but I can't really do techy stuff like this, but I did a good bit of reading my head is so full of this crap, sometimes when my head tilts with interest it spills out.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Oh, also: is it possible to give an ammunition bar to naval units due to the lack of hand to hand combat in the current game and the hand to hand combat referenced in the historical sources.
    Perhaps, there is a box for it and it says that they already have ammo. I will look into it though, would be awesome to have little more close-combat!

Minamoto Yumi Kachi

The Kachi are poor samurai that can not afford a horse. None the less are they capable warriors with good training in the arts of Bushido and war.
    These particular samurai have pledged their allegiance to the Minamoto clan. They are good in ground combat and skirmish but when faced cavalry things might not turn out so well.

Last edited by Ygge; February 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM.

=Vastator='s Avatar Senator

good!
    Will you make also new naval units? The one RotS has are a bit boring...
    Disclaimer: the post above is way way prealpha, the final version will be way better than this.

Thanks Vastator!
    Yes, I have made 4 this far: 3 different japanese pirates and a chinese one. Since I have no more ideas for the moment I am very open to suggestions for new ones.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Ygge View Post
    Minamoto Yumi Kachi

The Kachi are poor samurai that can not afford a horse. None the less are they capable warriors with good training in the arts of Bushido and war.
    These particular samurai have pledged their allegiance to the Minamoto clan. They are good in ground combat and skirmish but when faced cavalry things might not turn out so well.

There is an issue, I've read, about the heavy o' sode (shoulder-pads) on kachi for practical reasons, you'll notice in depictions that heavy infantry have much smaller shoulder-pads for mobility reasons, the shimazu and Oda daimyo shoulder pads would make perfect replacements. Also in more than one depiction they're bare-footed: that'd be a good illustration of their relative poverty and eagerness for war, casting aside basic comforts in favour of war-gear.

It might be interesting to mention the ambivalence to what actually qualified a man as a samurai. We tend to think of samurai as elites or aristocratic, while true in later periods: it doesn't exactly ring true at this stage. Before the samurai: in the Heian period, the Japanese imperial army was a professional career choice based on the Chinese style (but led by a shogun), the samurai are basically the result of how corrupted this system became, at this time one's ability and loyalty to who you serve was more important than rank or imperial appointment, and joined together as a means to protect themselves from corrupt tax hungry bureaucrats: they're basically mercenaries who fight for local strongmen rather than imperial governors/magistrates.

Any combatant can be considered a samurai, it's a bit of a misnomer really, as is attendant. It might be more accurate to describe these units as light, medium and heavy units based on armour or equipment.

Yes, I have made 4 this far: 3 different japanese pirates and a chinese one. Since I have no more ideas for the moment I am very open to suggestions for new ones
    How about a naval warrior monk-hero unit on a medium sized ship?
    -Betrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast