Thread: Creating New/Modifying Existing playable Faction

Default Creating New/Modifying Existing playable Faction

Hello all,

I have been searching this forum and the internet in general for a guide to either create a new playable faction or edit an existing factions names, colours, traits etc for about 2 hours and have been unable to find one! (Which, in my eyes, is Madness as I am sure it would have been something everyone would want to do...)

I had an old copy of PC Gamer that had a guide for creating a custom faction in Medieval II but unfortunately I cannot find it (then try to apply the process to Shogun 2). That particular guide was covered in 2 pages of A4 with screenshots so I know it is not ridiculously complex - they modified an existing faction if I remember correctly.

Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to do this? If not, could anyone write a quick guide/steps on how to accomplish this?

The basics of what I am looking for;

• Change the faction name
    • Change name of the Diamyo (and generals if possible...)
    • Change starting units
    • Change faction traits

Another bonus would be a custom Banner (or use an existing one, but has to be Blue!)

Ideally this would be used for Multilayer COOP Campaign with my friend.
    (I have downloaded but not installed the All Clans Multi-player edition mod to enable all the minor clans if I need to edit an existing minor clan)

I would GREATLY appreciate any help I could get, thanks!

Default Re: Creating New/Modifying Existing playable Faction

I think you need to edit the "startpos" tables in TWeak. TWeak is a part of the mod tool Assembly kit and can be downloaded from steam. For example in the "startpos_factions" you can make factions playable and etc.

Thanks Ygge,

I have downloaded the tool from steam and will look in a moment. I do have a mod I downloaded already that will unlock all the minor clans as playable.

Will that same table allow me to change the names of the clans as well as their logo/banners? If i get stuck I shall post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ygge View Post
    I think you need to edit the "startpos" tables in TWeak. TWeak is a part of the mod tool Assembly kit and can be downloaded from steam. For example in the "startpos_factions" you can make factions playable and etc.
    Thanks again, I looked at the tables in TWeak. In factions I changed choskabe to Test (in all the fields except Key)
    I then added the pack to my game, launched it, and it's made no difference at all. Could someone tell me how I can change a faction name and colors and have them show up in the Campaigns please?

Did you get a failure when you packed your files with BOB?

Nope, everything went through fine; all green!

I think that you need to edit more tables than just Startpos_factions. Check through all the Startpos tables, look for Chosokabe stuff and edit.

And you can change the starting units in Startpos_land_units and the name of the Diamyo in startpos_characters I believe.

Thanks I will try again, and should I also edit the "Factions" table too? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dalamaruk View Post
    Thanks I will try again, and should I also edit the "Factions" table too? Cheers
    No, I believe that is only for custom battles. Im not sure though so you could try.

I have a question about this,

I changed Saito to be playable instead of Mori for :

Start_pos_Factions
    Start_pos_Faction_effect_bundle
    Start_pos_victory_conditions

It makes it through BoB now, but Mori (saito) is not an option on the new clan selection screen for a new campaign,
    What am i Missing to make them playable? Now neither mori nor Saito work.

Also edited
    Factions and factions_front_end_leaders and Mori is Still playable under custom and Saito is not?

-- so this way appears bugged.

Best way to get this result is to just Swap everything Mori for Saito under Start_pos_characters (the sub generals start loc) and Start_pos_character_to_settlements or whatever. and change ownership of towns from one to the next, then if your really feeling ambitious change all the banners around. etc
    Last edited by Havie; December 16, 2015 at 09:45 PM.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

It makes it through BoB now, but Mori (saito) is not an option on the new clan selection screen for a new campaign,
    What am i Missing to make them playable? Now neither mori nor Saito work.
    Making a faction playable in the db and startpos tables is not enough, whats also missing is the information in the "main" ui_layout file. With a hex editor you can edit this file and replace one of existing factions with your new one.

Where can you find that file (ui_layout)?

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

You find it under: ui/frontend ui/grand_campaign_boshin (example for FotS)

Did you tried it with the hex editor? Because with me no succes. Looks on the forum there isn't a lot of info about it. Because CA restricted it to make more factions available and/or replacing ones.