Thread: To Train A Dragon

Wheatley's Avatar Primicerius

Default To Train A Dragon

Weakling. The heir of house Targaryen was somewhere in the woods now, believing that he was fleeing for his life. The fool refused to change, refused the sword and lance in favor of books. He cried over his dead mother at nights and was mocked for it in the morning. He surrendered before the opponent had even unleashed the sword from it's scabbard. A utter disappointment to the Quartermaster of Nordreki Castle. A disappointment to his family. Aerys could relate with Matarys. He knew the cure for it though. The entire year had been about forcing the crown-prince to survive. Aerys would beat him at sunrise with a blunt sword, then chase him across the fields on horseback together with a few sworn knights of his. He was forcing Matarys to adapt. To evolve. To burn and rise again in his own ashes.

Default Re: To Train A Dragon

Why uncle is so harsh?
    Matarys was caressing a scratch, a new one, on his jaw. His long silver hair was dirty and un-tamed.

Aww, that was painful... I can endure the lessons, but not the dueling ones. I am covered in purple and yellow, ranging from mustard to liliac. Agg

But at least he was a bit stronger than when he arrived the North. He was now capable to hold the sword, ride a horse and hunt deers. Well not of actually facing anybody with the sword but.

Why Father sent me here? To exile me in favour of his new born sons? That baby Aegon is the responsible? I will prove him I'm able to endure this... Peww, it seems I must return to uncle. Aww, that hurts...

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Ser Preston was always in the Prince's vicinity, and had seen him get pummeled over and over again by Aerys. The first few times he had scolded the older Prince, saying that he wouldn't stand for an injured Matarys, but over time he had learned to keep his mouth shut when the Nordreki knights were at it again. Still, he remained ever vigilant, making sure that none of the knights hurt him too harshly.

"He's learning," Preston said to Aerys on a spare moment. "In time he might make a warrior."
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Wheatley's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    Ser Preston was always in the Prince's vicinity, and had seen him get pummeled over and over again by Aerys. The first few times he had scolded the older Prince, saying that he wouldn't stand for an injured Matarys, but over time he had learned to keep his mouth shut when the Nordreki knights were at it again. Still, he remained ever vigilant, making sure that none of the knights hurt him too harshly.

"He's learning," Preston said to Aerys on a spare moment. "In time he might make a warrior."

"He has improved."
    The prince acknowledged. "Half a year ago, the boy could barely lift a sword." For some reason, his knights were what many commoners would call "brutes." As if the spirit of the old Boltons affected them. "We caught a poacher in the woods last night. He's been sentenced to lose his left foot for the crime." Aerys mentioned, thinking himself merciful. The poacher would've normally lost a hand for his crime, however, by pleading for mercy Aerys agreed to cut of a foot. "I want to have Matarys there when the sentence is carried out. A king should not faint at the sight of blood." He said, still firmly believing that his task was to hammer the crown-prince into a sword that could protect the realm.

"But despite his natural 'weakness' he's one of the brightest boys I've ever met. He already speaks High Valyrian fluently and mastered the mathematics of addition and subtraction. He's able to recite at least five vassals of every great house together with their founder and history..."
    Aerys could see that Matarys was limping back to them now, caressing his bruises.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Lord Stark had been watching from horseback, as Matarys came back towards them. He set Moon-Garm upon him, she lowered her body and skimmed across the snowy grass like cold breeze.
    Matarys' eyes widened with fear and Artos smiled. "Let's see how he deals with this."

Quote Originally Posted by Hengest View Post
    Lord Stark had been watching from horseback, as Matarys came back towards them. He set Moon-Garm upon him, she lowered her body and skimmed across the snowy grass like cold breeze.
    Matarys' eyes widened with fear and Artos smiled. "Let's see how he deals with this."
    Matarys nearly feel to the floor on dismay, but he achived to compose himself. He remembered what Lord Meribald Dustin said about wargs. Don't look them directly, don't move fast or quickly, just stay or move slowly, and don't step back.

Matarys stays erect, not defiant, but tries to look calm. He doesn't look the she-warg to the eyes, and doesn't fall back.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

She stopped, regarding his body, smelling him from a few yards distance, then relaxed her stance and carefully came forward and licked his sword hand, walked in a circle around him, licked him again and then walked off through the grass, smelling things as she went.

Artos nodded with a grin, "Good lad, bodes well for a king to be."