5. Freedom Skit
    6. Amazon
    7. Bingo
    8. Hombre
    9. One For The Head Skit
    10. 10 $
    11. Sunshowers
    12. Galang

From the depths of new Hip-Hop I bring you M.I.A., or Maya Arul's debut album Arular, but before I delve into this album, I have to say it is quite the acquired taste.

To begin, the songs themselves are extremely percussive. Each one is an interesting mixture of tribal melodies and modern electronic sounds; combined with her almost bratty, 'you go girlish' voice, it makes for an interesting dish. Particular stand outs are Sunshowers and Fire Fire.

Now comes the bad part. The lyrics are not too creative, and are a poor representation of Hip-Hop, persay. She compensates for her lack of lyrical flow with rhyming the same words, talking really loudly with her accent, and using slang to add in the supposed 'street' feel. Further, though the individual songs themselves are catchy, they album gets nearly tedious to listen to after listening to more than two songs from it. Interestingly, the CD is less than the sum of its parts.

Prarararating: 6/10 for the novelty.

Check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...490520?ie=UTF8
    Last edited by Pra; August 09, 2006 at 02:14 PM.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Default Re: M.I.A.-Arular

I think she deserves a bit more credit. I'll quote her 7/10.
    Very refreshing, original sound. She did a good job mixing her sri lankan roots into her music. Hints of what goes or went on there without being too political.
    Highlights: Pull up the People, Bucky Done Gun, Galang
    Full name: Maya Arulpragasm

M

Well, I am the slime from your video
    Oozin' along on your livin'room floor
    I am the slime from your video
    Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Default Re: M.I.A.-Arular

Quote Originally Posted by Mesamedasu
    I think she deserves a bit more credit. I'll quote her 7/10.
    Very refreshing, original sound. She did a good job mixing her sri lankan roots into her music. Hints of what goes or went on there without being too political.
    Highlights: Pull up the People, Bucky Done Gun, Galang
    Full name: Maya Arulpragasm

M
    That's what my sister said. (7/10) would've been her review. However, I would not overrate the album for its originality; it is more a novelty rather.
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.