Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: General Questions

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: General Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew49 View Post
    Ok thanks for the info. Unfortunately I couldn't find any unofcial patch floating around anywhere or even a list of bugs . The princess traits issue I read here:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...me-Fixes/page2
    I believe it's question #22
    It's not actually a bug. Just that the vanilla has to few princess traits and/or triggers for these traits, so almost all princesses have between 0 and 5 charm points, very hard to reach more than 6 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by King-K.LoL View Post
    quick question regarding this link:
    http://t-a-w.blogspot.mx/2009/11/why...edieval-2.html
    do i need to have the game unpacked to get the fix working? or can i just place it in the directory?
    It should work if you just place it in m2tw\data and put this line in medieval2.preferences.cfg (open with notepad) and mark it as read only.
    [io]
    file_first=true

Quote Originally Posted by Giumbix View Post
    It should work if you just place it in m2tw\data and put this line in medieval2.preferences.cfg (open with notepad) and mark it as read only.
    [io]
    file_first=true
    Yup Giumbix is right. All you have to do is just place it in the folder. Once there, that file will just override the unpacked file it replaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Dracul View Post
    On the other hand, according to this logic, if I fight against 9:20 army-strength ods (I won enough victories like that, or 300 vs. 1200) the Chivalry skill should increase, but I never noticed that.
    There is such a trigger, although it's easier if you're both outnumbered and fighting defensively. Also, the gain BattleDread trigger for overwhelming the enemy with numbers ("battle3Dread_PickingOnWeak") only applies if you're the attacker. If some idiot enemy captain decides to attack your mighty army with two units of spear militia, you don't gain dread for repulsing his ill-advised attack.

For more detailed information about the triggers of BattleDread and BattleChivalry...

The relevant section of export_descr_character_traits.txt

;------------------------------------------
    Trigger battle3_Dread_fighting
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition GeneralNumKillsInBattle > 8
    and not Trait BattleChivalry > 0

Affects BattleDread 1 Chance 50
    Affects Bloodthirsty 1 Chance 10

Trigger battle3_Chivalry_fighting
    WhenToTest PostBattle

and not Trait BattleDread > 0

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 50

Trigger battle3Chivalry1_defensivewin
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not WasAttacker
    and IsGeneral
    and BattleOdds < 0.8
    and GeneralFoughtInCombat

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 100

Trigger battle3Chivalry_hardoddswin
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
    and WonBattle
    and BattleOdds <= 0.5

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 66

Trigger battle3Chivalry_religioncatholic
    WhenToTest GeneralAssaultsGeneral

Condition CharacterReligion catholic
    and TargetReligion islam

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 33

Trigger battle3Chivalry_religionorthodox

Condition CharacterReligion orthodox
    and TargetReligion islam

Trigger battle3Chivalry_religionislam

Condition CharacterReligion islam
    and TargetReligion catholic

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 66

Trigger battle3Chivalry1_notchaserouters
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WonBattle
    and BattleSuccess >= average
    and PercentageEnemyKilled < 20
    and IsGeneral
    and BattleOdds < 0.95

Trigger battle3Chivalry_Dread_Not_fighting
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition not WonBattle
    and not GeneralFoughtInCombat
    and PercentageEnemyKilled < 10

Affects BattleChivalry -1 Chance 100
    Affects BattleDread -1 Chance 100

Trigger battle3Chivalry_Dread_Routing
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition Routs
    and PercentageEnemyKilled < 33
    and GeneralNumKillsInBattle < 8

Affects BattleChivalry -2 Chance 100
    Affects BattleDread -2 Chance 100

Trigger battle3Chivalry_Dread_Routing2
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition Routs
    and PercentageEnemyKilled >= 33
    and PercentageEnemyKilled <= 66
    and GeneralNumKillsInBattle < 8
    and BattleOdds > 0.75

Affects BattleChivalry -1 Chance 100

Trigger battle3Dread_PickingOnWeak
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WasAttacker
    and WonBattle
    and BattleOdds > 1.5
    and PercentageEnemyKilled > 50

Affects BattleDread 1 Chance 100

Trigger battle3Dread_TotalAnnihilation
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition WonBattle
    and BattleSuccess >= crushing
    and PercentageEnemyKilled > 70
    and IsGeneral
    and BattleOdds < 0.95

Affects BattleDread 2 Chance 100

Trigger battle3Dread_Let_Them_Go
    WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
    and WonBattle
    and BattleSuccess >= average
    and PercentageEnemyKilled < 20
    and not GeneralFoughtInCombat
    and IsGeneral
    and BattleOdds < 0.95

Overall, I think it's kind of a mess. I think that battle3_dread_fighting and battle3_chivalry_fighting were intended to be like "your general has a 50% chance of gaining battle chivalry, and a 50% chance of gaining battle dread, if he kills 9+ people in battle," but in practice it's more like a 50% chance of dread, and then, since any battle dread excludes the possibility of gaining chivalry, you get a 25% chance of battle chivalry and a 25% chance of nothing (since dread is checked first). However, the whole idea is rather silly, IMHO: your general displays prowess in battle by personally killing folks, so this randomly makes him stronger or weaker? (If you already have dread and your dread goes up, or you already have chivalry and your chivalry goes up, your general gets stronger. On the other hand, it's just as likely that your general's display of battlefield prowess will make him weaker, by reducing his dread or chivalry closer to zero.)

Personally, I think it should be modified to be something like this:

Code:
    Trigger battle3_Dread_fighting
    WhenToTest PostBattle

and Attribute Chivalry < 0

Affects BattleDread 1 Chance 50 
    Affects Bloodthirsty 1 Chance 10 

Trigger battle3_Chivalry_fighting
    WhenToTest PostBattle

and Attribute Chivalry > 0

Affects BattleChivalry 1 Chance 50
    Underlined changes. Although sometimes I think it might be better just to get rid of the BattleChiv/BattleDread traits entirely.
    Last edited by Maklodes; March 01, 2013 at 01:29 PM.

Vlad Dracul's Avatar Tiro

Thanks to all who answered my questions.

Regardin' M II TW's failures (and you guys know damn well there are plenty of them), it's a shame that after more than 6 years since game's release CA couldn't be bothered to make an official patch that would fix all known bugs.
    It's not like the players (aka paying customers) would ask for the cure of cancer...

I'm seriously disapointed because this game has/had a huge potential, but that potential wasn't fully exploited (by the company that made the game), not by far.

I just hope that 2 or 4 years ahead from now a brilliant mind would be in charge of the Medieval III Total War-project and that game will take its place in history of gaming as "one of the best TBS & medieval games ever made, if not the very best"

Gettin' back to my last unanswered problem, the one about gifting attacks against the rebels to a faction, how exactly can you do that?
    I mean, ofc you send a diplomat and start negotiations, but how it works?
    Rebels must be on that factions territory (maybe even in the same province where your diplomat is negotiating) or you can attack any pack of rebels anywhere on the map? And if you don’t have military access to that faction, how can you fight rebels on their lands without jeopardising relations?

gifting attacks against the rebels to a faction,
    Formally, there is no such thing. Closest thing would be sending a diplomat and offer to attack a faction, but rebels is not on the list, or at least it shouldn't be.

Wherever you saw this expression, he must have simply meant he just sends an army to kill some rebels on their territory and considers it as a gift, for role-playing purposes.

Military access is the only way to not lower relations with another faction when passing an army through their territory, even if it's an ally.
    Last edited by Vipman; March 01, 2013 at 02:45 PM.

Earl of_Duke's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Giumbix View Post
    Formally, there is no such thing. Closest thing would be sending a diplomat and offer to attack a faction, but rebels is not on the list, or at least it shouldn't be.Wherever you saw this expression, he must have simply meant he just sends an army to kill some rebels on their territory and considers it as a gift, for role-playing purposes.Military access is the only way to not lower relations with another faction when passing an army through their territory, even if it's an ally.
    There certainly is an option to do this: I do it about every 15 turns to allies & sometimes other friendly factions. I don't think it matters where the rebels you fight are located, but I'm not certain about that.

I don't understand, what option? Could you elaborate?

You mean it's possible to offer to attack the rebel faction and gift it?
    Last edited by Vipman; March 02, 2013 at 11:59 AM.

I finally found the topic I was talkin' about earlier, it's the Vampiresbane Art of Diplomacy Guide where Footsoldier says the following:

Quote Originally Posted by FootSoldier View Post
    Relations
    Quote Originally Posted by FootSoldier View Post
    - gifting attacks on an enemy. Everyone hates the rebels at the start, so they're an easy attack to gift. Later that may change.

I'm very curious how exactly does it work.

Earl of_Duke's Avatar Foederatus

Enter diplomatic negotiations with a faction. If your relations are lower than "Amiable", raise them to at least this status by gifting other junk, like money, otherwise the "Attack Faction X" will not be accepted as a gift. Then offer to attack rebels, and gift it. Simple.
    Last edited by Earl of_Duke; March 03, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Another question:
    How can you provoke a war without being considered the aggressor (without being excommunicated, losing rep, spoiling relations with others - except your enemy's allies, that's inevitable -etc.)?

And how much of a rep hit (if any) you take as a catholic faction if you start a war with an excommunicated faction (in the situation you don't have any agreements to that faction, no alliance, no trade, no nothing)?

And how much of a rep hit (if any) you take as a catholic faction if you start a war with an excommunicated faction (in the situation you don't have any agreements to that faction, no alliance, no trade, no nothing)?
    I think that there will be no rep lost from starting a war like that.

Another question:
    How can you provoke a war without being considered the aggressor (without being excommunicated, losing rep, spoiling relations with others - except your enemy's allies, that's inevitable -etc.)?

Depends on whether it's early or late game you're talking about. Early on, by far the easiest way to start a war with a neighboring target faction is take any and all rebel cities that lay between you and them. For this reason alone, Milan often finds itself at war with so many other factions.

Late game if you have high reputation, it can actually be fairly hard to provoke a faction into attacking you (factions with higher reputation get a boost to relations each turn and the AI is programmed to attack factions with lower relations AND lower reputation FIRST). You have to go out of your way to piss the target faction off by lowering relations either by moving an army around in their lands or by offering outright terrible agreements in diplomacy (like 10,000 gold for map information). The good news is even if none of these work, with high reputation, you typically don't have to worry about a bunch of different factions joining in the war against you if you decide to aggressively declare war. With low reputation however (ie negative rep), factions will go out of their way to go to war with you or betray you.

All wars with any faction, regardless of the excommunication status, hurt reputation of both factions that are at war with each other. The penalty to reputation grows smaller over time however and is about half in magnitude as the bonus for having a single alliance is. The good news is about going to war with an excommunicated faction is that almost no other faction will bother going to war against you for doing so, unless they were REAAALLY good buddies with the excommunicated faction in the first place (this rarely happens though, more than likely factions will break alliances with factions that are excommunicated-especially if a crusade is called again the excom faction).

If you can convince the Pope to call a crusade against that faction you actually gain favor with the Pope for joining the Crusade immediately. Position your troops so that they are ready to attack, get the crusade declared, join it, and use the extra movement and troops to your advantage. Others joining will just put additional pressure on your opponent, both offensively and financially.

Excuse the double post. My internet is being a royal pain today.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Is there a simple file edit that will allow you to transfer any character Ancillaries between generals?

Quote Originally Posted by Charger Bolt View Post
    Is there a simple file edit that will allow you to transfer any character Ancillaries between generals?
    It's simple in that it's not C/C+++.

But it fairly tedious. I forget the exact details, but it does involve uncompacting all the M2tw files, finding the file that contains the Ancillaries, and changing the part of each Ancillary from transferable "false" to "true." Let me see if I can't find the exact instructions.

The good news is that religous relics are ALL transferable. There's also a few others and I'll find those for you as well I can find where I put that info.

UPDATE1: The name of the unpacked file you're looking for is "Export descr ancillaries.txt". The code you'll be changing is: "Transferable 0" to "Transferable 1" where 0 means false and 1 means true.

UPDATE2: Current transferable ancillaries besides the religious relics are: academic_advisor, alchemist, apothecary, bard, treasurer, tutor. Be aware generals can only have a limit of 7 or 8 ancillaries total (limitless traits as far as I know). trusty_steed, black_stallion, and bodyguard are reportedly transferrable, but I've never been able to get them to work.

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

Thank you kindly

Thanks all for answers, really appreciate it, guys. Here come even more questions:

What’s the Explorer Guilds good for and where its best to be placed? A city or a castle or another specific location?

Can you increase the charm of a princess (don't think so, but still)? If yes, how?

And why my allies simply deny map-info exchanges, even if our relations are very good, my diplomats highly skilled and my offer is considered at least generous?!

Here are a couple of exemples:

Both denied, WTF indeed.

What’s the Explorer Guilds good for and where its best to be placed? A city or a castle or another specific location?
    It gives agents and generals movement traits and ancillaries. You should best build it in a city where you know you'll be passing trough with lots of different agents and generals. Be sure to let them hang around for a bit and they'll have some extra movement.

Can you increase the charm of a princess (don't think so, but still)? If yes, how?
    Trough successful diplomatic deals.

And why my allies simply deny map-info exchanges, even if our relations are very good, my diplomats highly skilled and my offer is considered at least generous?!
    You might be asking for map information too often, AI declines offers for it automatically. Once every 20 should be enough.

In vanilla explorer's guild is not available in castles and it doesn't give any trait, only some ancillaries (retinue): 1 for new trained admirals, generals all of them except the one for admirals, and agents are able to get only 2 of them, Amerigo Vespucci and Marco Polo
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Trigger intrepid_explorer_vnv_trigger WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition EndedInSettlement
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= explorers_guild
    and IsGeneral

AcquireAncillary intrepid_explorer chance 5
    Every end of turn a general stays in a city with explorer's guild, there's a 5% chance he'll get an Intreprid explorer that gives 15% more movement points to him and his whole army as long as he's on the field and not in a settlement, and he is he main commander of the army (his name is shown when you hover the cursor over the army)

Trigger naval_navigator_vnv_trigger
    WhenToTest AgentCreated
    Condition IsAdmiral
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= explorers_guild

AcquireAncillary naval_navigator chance 33
    When you recruit a navy and it creates a new admiral (the port was empty previously) there's a 33% chance to get the Naval navigator which gives +1 command

The rest are unique retinue, only 1 can be obtained the whole game and only in certain turns:

Trigger amerigo_vespucci_anc_trigger
    WhenToTest GovernorBuildingCompleted
    Condition SettlementBuildingFinished >= explorers_guild (so not given on turn end, only when you accept to build any
    and I_TurnNumber >= 208 ------------------------------------- level of explorer's guild)
    and I_TurnNumber <= 225

AcquireAncillary amerigo_vespucci chance 100

Trigger marco_polo_anc_trigger
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition FactionBuildingExists >= explorers_guild (it needs an explorer's guild in any of your regions to be able to get it
    and DistanceCapital > 60 -------------------------------- anywhere)
    and not CultureType middle_eastern
    and I_TurnNumber >= 102
    and I_TurnNumber <= 122

AcquireAncillary marco_polo chance 5

Trigger vasco_de_gama
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition IsGeneral
    and DistanceCapital > 40
    and FactionBuildingExists >= explorers_guild
    and I_TurnNumber >= 205
    and I_TurnNumber <= 225

AcquireAncillary vasco_de_gama chance 33

Other than that there is nothing, no more bonus, no trade route to India BS the HQ Explorer's Guild description says.

Don't bother with map info. Recruit a few spies and send them around the world or wherever, no more headache and probably cheaper too.
    Last edited by Vipman; March 09, 2013 at 05:50 AM.