Thread: Tolkien General Discussion II

Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

Could Galadriel teleport? As seen in Hobbit movie when she was talking to Gandalf.
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Do you mean communicate telepathically? I don't recall any teleporting in the movie.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

No, she can't. That is just Jackson's fanboy idea about what would be "cool".
    Adding to that, that she would outsmart Gandalf the Maia like that...? Hm, then again Jackson by some reason like to ridicule the wizards (a magic mushroom eating hobo, a pot smoker and a rambling old fool no one listens to).

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

okay then Jackson is silly ...

I really hate how he ruined hobbit movie
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Senator

I'd trust HBO to make a good Silmarillion TV series. There'd be a lot of nudity and violence, but, as Tolkien left a lot open in the Silmarillion, I'm sure that sensible people at HBO could make it not suck.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Bloody true Silmarillion Empire games.

Yes, they could make something interesting, but IMO it would only be at best something "inspired" by the Sil. Unless they would focus on one chapter, perhaps.
    On second thought, that might even work, one or two chapters per season. It still would be quite a challenge to maintain some level of consistency though.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

I've started writing the second part of The War of Dwarves and Orcs. It should be up (relatively) soon.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lortano View Post
    I'd trust HBO to make a good Silmarillion TV series. There'd be a lot of nudity and violence, but, as Tolkien left a lot open in the Silmarillion, I'm sure that sensible people at HBO could make it not suck.
    As long as they do a better job adapting than GoT did, sure.

A very interesting speech about the relationship between movie and book by Tom Shippey, acknowledged Tolkien schoolar

http://www.swarthmore.edu/news-event...um-and-message

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

if he cooperated with PJ, he lost the right to call himself scholar

anyway, I'll have a look at the video later on, I'm sure it is interesting none the less

tnx mommy
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Listen first to what he has to say, haha, and if offered to consult a Tolkien adaptation, what schoolar could say No?

Adding to that, I'm one who defend much in the original triology (but let's not talk about The Hobbit)

Blog Entries

Listen first to what he has to say, haha, and if offered to consult a Tolkien adaptation, what schoolar could say No?
    ask it to Ponzio Pilato, you might never know what your deeds will end up to

anyway, you know I don't blame PJ 100%, though only for the LOTR trilogy, but surely I'll listen to it when I have time!!

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Eternal fame

Do so, I find it good, both about Tolkien's uniqe style as well as the 'good' choices and 'weak' choices of the script

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

PJ! AAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHH!!! KILL!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/200607141...ises_kept.html

*Goes berserk

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    PJ! AAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHH!!! KILL!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/200607141...ises_kept.html

*Goes berserk
    Its nice to see the link I sent a year back serves a good purpose now and again.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    if he cooperated with PJ, he lost the right to call himself scholar
    It's important to note that people who are hired as consultants (e.g. historians) for movies or documentaries are often ignored by the filmmakers or their contributions are distorted beyond recognition.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

I am glad of it FC the chap puts my numb feeling of pain to words.

And yes, sadly experts usually gets ignored. RTW ignored the EB team's recommendations and EB was born for example.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    It's important to note that people who are hired as consultants (e.g. historians) for movies or documentaries are often ignored by the filmmakers or their contributions are distorted beyond recognition.
    actually I was joking

I know very well how business works, so I'm sure that they never committed with this scholar to follow strictly what he could have said them, unfortunately

Regarding telepathy, or mind speak, I'm almost positive that at least certain elves could do it. I seem to recall at the end of 'The Return of the King' there is a scene where Galadriel, Elrond, Celeborn and Gandalf are together. The passage goes something like 'that if any traveler had been chancing by, these four would have appeared to be no more then grey stones. They were conversing...but only their eyes moved...they were speaking mind to mind.'

Blog Entries

This is true, but AFAIK Tolkien never wrote they were able to communicate by this mean at great distances, otherwise Elrond would have not sent his sons to Lorien to inform the Lord and the Lady on the errand of the Fellowship (just one of the many examples that come to my mind)

as far as I could remember, the only mean of distance communication were the Palantìri.