Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 42 92 117 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142
Results 2,821 to 2,829 of 2829

Thread: Tolkien General Discussion II

  1. #2821
    Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Pili Posterior
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Back from vacation
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Take a look at this thread for some more discussion. It is for the new Tolkien Total War game under development, Total War: Middle-earth. It will have a hard time attaining the standard of Third Age: Total War, lol!
    If you're talking about lore accuracy, I suspect you won't really have a hard time unless you go out of your way to be inaccurate.

    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War
    Finally Changed my Avatar

  2. #2822
    Veteraan's Avatar Princeps
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tilburg, Kingdom of The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,014

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    If you're talking about lore accuracy, I suspect you won't really have a hard time unless you go out of your way to be inaccurate.
    You are absolutely right. If they stick to what they state in their INTRODUCTION THREAD, they are bound to be more lore accurate than TATW.
    The key sentence being:
    Well a simple answer is a Middle Earth mod for Rome 2 completely based off of the books,
    He will have a hard time keeping everybody "in line" with what is in the books, I would say. A brave choice which I personally applaud, but also one that will not be to the liking of most potential players I suspect.
    My favorite pair of QUOTES:
    Ishan:
    Wait for an official answer from Sir GED (site owner)

    leo.civil.uefs:
    What are you talking about? Who is him? Some kind of oracle?
    I've never heard about this, hope my head will not roll over.


  3. #2823
    Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Pili Posterior
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Back from vacation
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    He will have a hard time keeping everybody "in line" with what is in the books, I would say. A brave choice which I personally applaud, but also one that will not be to the liking of most potential players I suspect.
    Mods don't have a need to attract a large fanbase as normal games do, because the developers are not making it for profit. If a mod is good, people will play it. (Of course, sheer popularity is not necessarily an indication of superior quality)

    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War
    Finally Changed my Avatar

  4. #2824
    Lortano's Avatar Hastatas Posterior
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    847

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    'cough' people who buy FIFA every year even though it's the same game because they are morons who get fooled by EA. 'cough'
    Sauron's Miseries: My tale of heroism, glory and of utter failures that ruin the Dark Lord's plans:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=542268
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Fail: A story of true friendship, a quest to destroy a dragon, and references all around! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=584031
    And see where it all began in: Three Jewels, One Valar. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=555203

    My Youtube, where you can see my Let's Plays! http://www.youtube.com/user/LortanoTheDuke?feature=mhee

  5. #2825
    Veteraan's Avatar Princeps
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tilburg, Kingdom of The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,014

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Lortano View Post
    'cough' people who buy FIFA every year even though it's the same game because they are morons who get fooled by EA. 'cough'
    GESUNDHEIT!

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Mods don't have a need to attract a large fanbase as normal games do, because the developers are not making it for profit. If a mod is good, people will play it. (Of course, sheer popularity is not necessarily an indication of superior quality)
    Yes, you are absolutely right about that. However the developers may also have the objective to get as much people playing their mod as possible. TW-ME is a very ambitious project which will take a huge effort from a lot of people working for a long time to pull it off. It may prove difficult to keep the team motivated when they stick to the book lore only to shape their game. I would play it, a lot of people visiting this thread would play it, but the big majority of the potential players know the Tolkien universe only because of the movies. Anything that doesn't have at least part of the atmosphere of those movies will probably disappoint them IMO. I wonder how their previews will be received by the "bigger" audience.

    Looking at the interesting lore thread by Alkar, I see large quotes from the Hobbit and LotR books and also a lot from the Silmarillion and even HoME. Of course this is only meant to provide a template on which the game design can be based. However these are sources that will make it look and also feel vastly different from what most players expect and are fond of. The majority of them will have only seen the movies. There will be some who have read the Hobbit and LotR. A few will have read the Silmarillion and only a handful will have ever heard of (let alone read) Unfinished tales, The Letters or less likely of all, HoME.
    My favorite pair of QUOTES:
    Ishan:
    Wait for an official answer from Sir GED (site owner)

    leo.civil.uefs:
    What are you talking about? Who is him? Some kind of oracle?
    I've never heard about this, hope my head will not roll over.


  6. #2826
    Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Pili Posterior
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Back from vacation
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Yes, you are absolutely right about that. However the developers may also have the objective to get as much people playing their mod as possible. TW-ME is a very ambitious project which will take a huge effort from a lot of people working for a long time to pull it off. It may prove difficult to keep the team motivated when they stick to the book lore only to shape their game. I would play it, a lot of people visiting this thread would play it, but the big majority of the potential players know the Tolkien universe only because of the movies. Anything that doesn't have at least part of the atmosphere of those movies will probably disappoint them IMO. I wonder how their previews will be received by the "bigger" audience.

    Looking at the interesting lore thread by Alkar, I see large quotes from the Hobbit and LotR books and also a lot from the Silmarillion and even HoME. Of course this is only meant to provide a template on which the game design can be based. However these are sources that will make it look and also feel vastly different from what most players expect and are fond of. The majority of them will have only seen the movies. There will be some who have read the Hobbit and LotR. A few will have read the Silmarillion and only a handful will have ever heard of (let alone read) Unfinished tales, The Letters or less likely of all, HoME.
    If players want to play movie mods then they can go play movie mods. God knows there are more than enough of them already.

    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War
    Finally Changed my Avatar

  7. #2827
    Flinn's Avatar A Modern Man of Old
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,633

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    Looking at the interesting lore thread by Alkar, I see large quotes from the Hobbit and LotR books and also a lot from the Silmarillion and even HoME. Of course this is only meant to provide a template on which the game design can be based. However these are sources that will make it look and also feel vastly different from what most players expect and are fond of. The majority of them will have only seen the movies. There will be some who have read the Hobbit and LotR. A few will have read the Silmarillion and only a handful will have ever heard of (let alone read) Unfinished tales, The Letters or less likely of all, HoME.
    it's not by chance that Alkar has been addressed here ..

    I'm sure that they will do a great job with the mod
    Fan and supporter of Third Age: Total War and its Submods
    My Guide: Turtling in TATW and MOS, completed May '14
    Looking forward for Skyrim: Total War


  8. #2828
    Ngugi's Avatar TATW Local Moderator
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,663

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    You're off topic gentlemen, if you want to discuss prefered levels of source faithfulness for mods, please turn to those mods forums or threads, or start a new thread with that topic


    DCI: Last Alliance - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: T˘l Acharn - mighty D˙nedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI |Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Recomended TATW compilations: MOS and Withwnars Submod Collection
    Developer of: The Sundering - a Warhammer Total War experience

    The Kong Commandments
    - 2nd TATW forum comics | van Gondor - a LotR + van Helsing parody | Who Moderates the Moderators? - 1st TATW forum comics

    Client of Hero of the West, patron of Mank, Kiliš Alý, FireFreak111, & MIKEGOLF member of the House of Hader

  9. #2829
    Alkar's Avatar Signifer
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Angband
    Posts
    213

    Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

    Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    You are absolutely right. If they stick to what they state in their INTRODUCTION THREAD, they are bound to be more lore accurate than TATW.
    The key sentence being:


    He will have a hard time keeping everybody "in line" with what is in the books, I would say. A brave choice which I personally applaud, but also one that will not be to the liking of most potential players I suspect.
    I shall still do my best to provide the most lore-accurate information as possible for the mod.
    'And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.' Melkor descended upon Arda in power and majesty greater than any other of the Valar, as a mountain that wades in the sea and has its head above the clouds and is clad in ice and crowned with smoke and fire; and the light of the eyes of Melkor was like a flame that withers with heat and pierces with a deadly cold. The lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •