Page 141 of 141 FirstFirst ... 41 91 116 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141
Results 2,801 to 2,812 of 2812

Thread: Tolkien General Discussion II

Dude with the Food's Avatar Princeps Prior

Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by insolent1 View Post
    Sauron knew about Golum(and captured him iirc) which means he(it) understood that there where creatures that didn't fully succumb to its power, but I suppose he(it) didn't expect them to actually have the willpower to destroy it(which they didn't but fate sorted that out).
    Although I think Sam would have had the willpower to destroy it since he had only being affected by it for a short time.
    As soon as he found out about Gollum, he captured him, tortured him and sent the nine out to find the Shire. Gollum was the wake up call and it was then that he realised some poeple could withstand his power.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW Local Moderator
    Citizen

I doubt Gollum falls under the category of people who resisted the Ring; he turned a muderous, raving, obsessed Ring-junkie who as far as Sauron could see was obsessed to get his 'Precious' back.
    If anything Gollum must confirmed to Sauron that anyone who carry the One will NOT be a threat to It, but a subjuect to It trough need of It and craving for It.
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM.

DCI: Last Alliance - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: T˘l Acharn - mighty D˙nedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI |Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Recomended TATW compilations: MOS and Withwnars Submod Collection
    Developer of: The Sundering - a Warhammer Total War experience

The Kong Commandments
    - 2nd TATW forum comics | van Gondor - a LotR + van Helsing parody | Who Moderates the Moderators? - 1st TATW forum comics

Client of Hero of the West, patron of Mank, Kiliš Alý, FireFreak111, & MIKEGOLF member of the House of Hader

insolent1's Avatar Munifex

He resisted part of the power of the ring(and probably one of the most important parts), in that he was under no/limited influence to see it returned to its creator.
    I suppose we will never really know if it had this power but it is hinted that it does have this power.

Macilrille's Avatar Pili Prior

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    I doubt Gollum falls under the category of people who resisted the Ring; he turned a muderous, raving, obsessed Ring-junkie who as far as Sauron could see was obsessed to get his 'Precious' back.
    If anything Gollum must confirmed to Sauron that anyone who carry the One will NOT be a threat to It, but a subjuect to It trough need of It and craving for It.

I am with you on that one. And it seems to me, we are missing the point; which is (I think).

Like every other being Sauron percieved the world from his perspective, interpreted igt according to his nature and character. And even if he understood that other beings are different, he would still analyse their actions and options from that perspective- cause he had no other. He was not able to reflect and understand. Herein lies the big difference to Olorin, who could indeed understand evil and look into other beings' hearts; IE, analyse, reflect from another perspective than his own and understand.

But I believe that the good professor both points out a profound truth and a lesson for us all. One that postmodern humanist theory was to rediscover in the mid-nineties; that we ALL do this to some extent. We all percieve, analyse and understand from our own pespective and understanding of the world; which again comes from our character, which again is formed through life by what Bourdieu labels our "Habitus".

Whatever Sauron's Habitus was, he could see what they were doing, as in their moves, but he was blind to their plan, for he could not understand that anyone could want to destroy The One instead of using it.

Funeh's Avatar Centurio

Did sauron think of himself as good person? That he is doing this all for better cause, that middle earth would be better under his rule?

And what about Evil men? why did they follow him? Out of fear? or because they did not know the western manners, and only knew the sauron, powerful god?
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW Local Moderator
    Citizen

I would add also that Sauron not to any knowledge we have expected the Ring to make the bearer such a slave to the One that the bearer would be a mere servant who walked over to Sauron with it, rather it was obvious the One made the bearer greedily posessed of it (which actually is quite counter-productive what It's aim of returning concern, it had to betray Sisildur and abandon Gollum, however good that otherwise is to keep It safe).
    Sauron went at length with sending his Nazgűl fetching the Ring, since these were the only agents he had who he could trust would actually without a doubt bring It to him.
    At length he resolved that no others would serve him in this case but his mightiest servants, the Ringwraiths, who had no will but his own, being each utterly subservient to the ring that had enslaved him, which Sauron held.
    (...)

They were by far the most powerful of his servants, and the most suitable for such a mission, since they were entirely enslaved to their Nine Rings, which he now himself held; they were quite incapable of acting against his will, and if one of them, even the Witch-king their captain, had seized the One Ring, he would have brought it back to his Master.
    - UT; The Hunt for the Ring
    Last edited by Ngugi; August 28, 2014 at 05:33 PM.

DCI: Last Alliance - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: T˘l Acharn - mighty D˙nedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI |Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Recomended TATW compilations: MOS and Withwnars Submod Collection
    Developer of: The Sundering - a Warhammer Total War experience

The Kong Commandments
    - 2nd TATW forum comics | van Gondor - a LotR + van Helsing parody | Who Moderates the Moderators? - 1st TATW forum comics

Client of Hero of the West, patron of Mank, Kiliš Alý, FireFreak111, & MIKEGOLF member of the House of Hader

RuleBritannia's Avatar Princeps Prior

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Sauron had no need to keep 'Ring destroyers' out. That someone who got it would like to destroy it, instead of keep it and use it for their own needs and at any rate avoid to fall for the massive influence of the One, was not a risk he considered. Quite right too, still while reason was on his side fate just was playing against him.
    Pride cometh before the fall.

insolent1's Avatar Munifex

I don't think it was pride that Sauron suffered from as it had been defeated(but not vanqished) many times and while he was able to rise again, those defeats would have had an effect. He had no problem fleeing from Glorfindel which would make me think pride was not an issue for it.
    I think Melkor showed some signs of pride but considering how powerful it originally was that is not surprising.

Veteraan's Avatar Hastatas Posterior

Quote Originally Posted by insolent1 View Post
    (..) He had no problem fleeing from Glorfindel which would make me think pride was not an issue for it.
    (..)
    Perhaps this is a story I don't know about. However I suspect you got Sauron and the Witch King mixed up here.

Then the Witch-king laughed, and none that heard it ever forgot the horror of that cry. But Glorfindel rode up then on his white horse, and in the midst of his laughter the Witch-king turned to flight and passed into the shadows. For night came down on the battlefield, and he was lost, and none saw whither he went.

Eńrnur now rode back, but Glorfindel, looking into the gathering dark, said: "Do not pursue him! He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall." These words many remembered

The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix A, Annals of the Kings and Rulers: The Realms in Exile: The Southern Line: Heirs of Anßrion
    My favorite pair of QUOTES:
    Ishan:
    Wait for an official answer from Sir GED (site owner)

leo.civil.uefs:
    What are you talking about? Who is him? Some kind of oracle?
    I've never heard about this, hope my head will not roll over.

Hresvelgr's Avatar Princeps Prior

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post
    Did sauron think of himself as good person? That he is doing this all for better cause, that middle earth would be better under his rule?

And what about Evil men? why did they follow him? Out of fear? or because they did not know the western manners, and only knew the sauron, powerful god?
    Someone might correct me on this, but as far as I recall Sauron did genuinely think he would change the world for the better, at least originally. He was obsessed with order and stuff and sought to impose his dominion over everything to bring order, but as time went on he got more and more malicious. As for the evil men, they had various motives. Many were lied to, or served out of fear. Others because they hated the west, often for legitimate reasons, and Sauron offered them a chance at revenge. I'm not actually sure why the Black Numenoreans served him though, aside from maybe greed.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Pili Prior

Quote Originally Posted by Hresvelgr View Post
    Someone might correct me on this, but as far as I recall Sauron did genuinely think he would change the world for the better, at least originally. He was obsessed with order and stuff and sought to impose his dominion over everything to bring order, but as time went on he got more and more malicious. As for the evil men, they had various motives. Many were lied to, or served out of fear. Others because they hated the west, often for legitimate reasons, and Sauron offered them a chance at revenge. I'm not actually sure why the Black Numenoreans served him though, aside from maybe greed.
    The Black Numenoreans? Religious allegiance most likely. Being the High Priest of Melkor gains you lots of points.

Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War
    Finally Changed my Avatar

Funeh's Avatar Centurio

Quote Originally Posted by Hresvelgr View Post
    Thanks!

As my other question, is it true that Saruman wanted to ally with Sauron, so he will dominate world with him and then betray him?
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Thread Information