Thread: Tolkien General Discussion II

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

This brings me back to my childhood days, because when I was twelve and read the Lord of the Rings for the first time (in Dutch), the 3 books had covers by Cor Blok.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Speaking of LOTR illustrations, i found this russian illustrations in the Tolkien reddit, they have a medieval tapestry feel.

https://imgur.com/a/Ea4js

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Nice, enteraining with the very eastern iconography in some images (Aragorn with gloria and angel above Galadriel), and interesting takes on Nazgul, Orcs and the Balrog ^^

That's something I'm afraid the movies taken form us; we'll see less diverse, personal takes on how things looks in the future.
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 09, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Really interesting pictures. The Bridge of Khazad Dum looked super funny though it's like a plank xD
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

The Hobbits in Return to the Shire looks stunning Indeed, as Ngugi says it's a shame a lot of culturally inspired pictures like these probably won't be as common in the future (or in the Now for that matter!).
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

yeah, i took me some times before i created my own "visual headcannon· different from the movies.

By the way, one doubt i had watching the Men of the Mountains preview in DCI: Last Alliance,in the lore did they march against Gondor or they did just simply hide in their fortress?

They did not participate in the war at all; they did not want to honour their Oath but did not dare to challenge the Dúnedain either:
    Quote Originally Posted by RotK; The Passing of the Grey Company
    ‘I hope that the forgotten people will not have forgotten how to fight,’ said Gimli; ‘for otherwise I see not why we should trouble them.’

‘That we shall know if ever we come to Erech,’ said Aragorn. ‘But the oath that they broke was to fight against Sauron, and they must fight therefore, if they are to fulfil it. For at Erech there stands yet a black stone that was brought, it was said, from Númenor by Isildur; and it was set upon a hill, and upon it the King of the Mountains swore allegiance to him in the beginning of the realm of Gondor. But when Sauron returned and grew in might again, Isildur summoned the Men of the Mountains to fulfil their oath, and they would not: for they had worshipped Sauron in the Dark Years.

‘Then Isildur said to their king: “Thou shalt be the last king. And if the West prove mightier than thy Black Master, this curse I lay upon thee and thy folk: to rest never until your oath is fulfilled. For this war will last through years uncounted, and you shall be summoned once again ere the end.” And they fled before the wrath of Isildur, and did not dare to go forth to war on Sauron’s part; and they hid themselves in secret places in the mountains and had no dealings with other men, but slowly dwindled in the barren hills. And the terror of the Sleepless Dead lies about the Hill of Erech and all places where that people lingered. But that way I must go, since there are none living to help me.’
    Last edited by Ngugi; February 20, 2017 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Layout

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thanks for the answer Ngugi, truly a great loremaster

Sharing what I may ^^

I have a question. How does the ring increase power for different people, for example, Gollum became more keen of hearing I believe, how would it effect others if they used it?

"The chief power (of all the rings alike) was the prevention or slowing of decay (i.e. 'change' viewed as a regrettable thing), the preservation of what is desired or loved, or its semblance - this is more or less an Elvish motive. But also they enhanced the natural powers of a possessor - thus approaching 'magic', a motive easily corruptible into evil, a lust for domination. And finally they had other powers, more directly derived from Sauron ('the Necromancer': so he is called as he casts a fleeting shadow and presage on the pages of The Hobbit): such as rendering invisible the material body, and making things of the invisible world visible."
    Letter 131

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Holy mother of Ilu, those things go for thousands :O Maybe I should've paid more attention during the arts lessons
    It's weird how LotR and other works of Tolkien mostly have fan art and illustrations that are either idiosyncratic modern art like this (it's fun to look at, but can't say that I'm a fan of it), or terrible kitsch (there's only one or two exceptions I can think of). Whereas A Song of Ice and Fire seems to be drawing (har har. geddit?) more, and better, artists who deliver naturalistic depictions. Or is that just my impression, based on incomplete knowledge of fan art? Does anyone know any quality naturalistic/realistic Tolkien fan art?

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

I have a question
    is durins bane a balrog like they apear in is earlier work when they were more like trolls so that turgon could kill seven of them or a maia balrog like they are in his later works
    I ask this because when legolas encounters durins bane he cries a balrog a balrog of morgroth
    to me that reads like a creature that is tortured into a balrog like orcs are of elves
    can anybody shed light on this?
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Yes, Maybe and No

Yes, in that it seems JRR still considered the Balrogs as created beings (though not made from any pre-existing creature) when he wrote LotR* and remained in texts afterwards.
    Maybe, as the idea of Balrogs as Maiar came before LotR was published*.
    No, as in that the concept of Morgoth creating Balrogs was dropped completly, meaning that the Balrog in Moria was a Maiar.

This is a good survey on the topic: http://tolkien.slimy.com/essays/TAB3.html

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Yes, Maybe and No

Yes, in that it seems JRR still considered the Balrogs as created beings (though not made from any pre-existing creature) when he wrote LotR* and remained in texts afterwards.
    Maybe, as the idea of Balrogs as Maiar came before LotR was published*.
    No, as in that the concept of Morgoth creating Balrogs was dropped completly, meaning that the Balrog in Moria was a Maiar.

This is a good survey on the topic: http://tolkien.slimy.com/essays/TAB3.html
    thanks for the answer
    also I cannot rep you for this so could somebody else do this please?
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

You're welcome
    No need, no need

Gandalf is a Maia, send to Middle-Earth to fight Sauron. His real name is Olorin. When he arrived in M.E. he traveld from the North to the South and to the greatest part of the West.Therefore, it is possible that he knew many languages, including the Black Speech. And LOTR it's not a low-magic setting. You would be amazed by the amound of magic M.E. has.

Guys, whats your opinion of the new Shadows of War trailer?

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

By far the most accurate representation of Tolkien's work I've ever seen. Or at least on par with PJ's Battle of the Five Armies.