Page 157 of 157 FirstFirst ... 57 107 132 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
Results 3,121 to 3,129 of 3129

Thread: Tolkien General Discussion II

Default Re: Tolkien General Discussion II

Thanks! I'm not a fan... I'm a fanatic.
    And Gandalf is in fact an Istari(Or a mair I'm a bit rusty), not an hobbit.
    Yes, Tolkien Gateway is the best. I used to spend hours on their just reading all the lore... I need to reread the Silmarilion.

Flinn's Avatar In Dude We Trust
    Citizen

when I wrote this

Gandalf said that he was of a race akin
    I actually meant Smeagol with "he"

You'll find yourself well here

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix, of the Imperial House of Hader.

Oh, my bad!
    It'd be interesting to do battle in Beleriend.

Thangaror's Avatar Princeps Prior

Hehe, that's funny. Some lines are hilarious.

"Fëanor was the mightiest and most talented of the elves, and also their biggest ."

"Fountains are delightful, not metal."

Haha, kinda true, it depends on what kind of fountain it is. A fountain of blood ist quite metal, according to the definition of metal used in this text.

I'd still say that Túrin deserves a better ranking. He is one of the biggest badasses in the legendarium, and biggest , second to Fëanor only. Plus he's so sullen, grim and dark. And killing yourself out of shame and self-hatred is really heavy metal.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Middle-earth: Total War - Hérë Pelarcíryarwa - WIP Second Age mod

Yeah, Turin is one of the most Metal guys in Middle-Earth
    JOIN MY EPIC HOTSEAT HERE http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?689051-Tyronia-Total-War-Custom-Campaign-Mod-2)-A-BUNCH-OF-FACTIONS-OPEN)

Civis

hello everyone I have a few questions
    1 eat elves meat?
    2 do elves love war?
    greetings atthias

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    hello everyone I have a few questions
    1 eat elves meat?
    2 do elves love war?
    greetings atthias
    1 - Yes. There are several instances when Elves are mentioned as eating meat in The Hobbit and LotR (the books, not the movie interpretation). They may also wear fur, when appropriate.
    2 - No. While there are several descriptions of Elves getting really angry to the point of freaking out their nearby enemies, I can't think of a single example - except Feanor, perhaps - of an Elf who really loves battle, let alone war. In Tolkien's mind, the warlike disposition was a characteristic trait of "middle men" (such as the Rohirrim) or people who didn't follow the Valar and the teachings of the Elves (e.g. Haradrim). And orcs, of course.

Flinn's Avatar In Dude We Trust
    Citizen

2 - No. While there are several descriptions of Elves getting really angry to the point of freaking out their nearby enemies, I can't think of a single example - except Feanor, perhaps - of an Elf who really loves battle, let alone war. In Tolkien's mind, the warlike disposition was a characteristic trait of "middle men" (such as the Rohirrim) or people who didn't follow the Valar and the teachings of the Elves (e.g. Haradrim). And orcs, of course.
    although overall I concur with this, there are some examples of Elves who "loved" to be part in wars; for instance, both Mablung and Beleg demanded leave to Thingol to take part in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad even if the King prohibited to any of his people to participate in it.
    Furthermore, many Noldor were more than eager to assail Morgot (they were driven by desire for vengeange ok, but none the less they had no hesitation in following their leaders in war, instead, for instance, of trying a different approach of conciliation with the Valar).
    The concept of "loving war" is clearly wide and can be interpreted in many ways, but I guess that 3 ages spent at war should mean something. Out of my memory I can recall that only Silvans (Nandor for the most) were openly disliking war, while others might have accepted it as a "necessary evil", but I can't say honestly that it is so evident that Elves disliked the war. (I guess an approach similar to that of Faramir was the most common even amongst them, at least for Noldor and Sindar).

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix, of the Imperial House of Hader.