Thread: Patriots Rise [AAR]

Default Patriots Rise [AAR]

Patriots Rise
    A Crusader Kings: II AAR

"Never give your reasons, for your judgement will probably be right, but your reasons almost certainly will be wrong."
    - Lord Mansfield

Greetings, Traveler.

What have we here? Young blood coming to the fray? Hmm. Oh, you want to know what it is that is going on here, do you? Well, take a seat, and let me tell you a story.

Long ago in a land called Lothian, a beautiful land that encapsulated everything there was to be known as Britain, there was a Duke named Eldraed. Eldraed was a young man, only twenty winters old - and only seventeen when he had usurped his father, Althelraed - with desires so large no one could contemplate getting in his way. He had aspirations, as all young men do, but Eldraed was different than most other men in an intriguing way; he did not ask or want, he did not cry or cheer; he was a melancholy man with dreams of conquest and glory, of becoming the man history would remember forever. And that, my dear fellow, is where our tale begins...

Table of Contents
    A Guide for the Weary Traveler.

1) The Keystone

A Guide to the Duchy of Lothian

Spoiler for Ruling Family
    ---This will be updated as the story progresses---
    Duke Elraed of Lothian is currently the only member of the Ruling Family of the Duchy of Lothian. At twenty years old, he usurped his father - Athelraed of Mercia - at just seventeen years of age. Elraed has a higher understanding of war and diplomacy, with an even higher understanding of intrigue. Elraed is a quick learner, but has little to no grasp on stweardship, which may become a problem. Elraed has many traits, which include: Attractiveness, Greedy, Patient, Deceitful, Brave, Content, Proud, Stressed, Wounded, and Drunkard. All of these traits will undoubtedly make for an interesting personality, and interesting events in the game.

Spoiler for Earls of Lothian
    At only six years old, Earl Dolfin of Cumberland holds the largest levy support under Duke Elraed, making the support of this child important to the survival of Lothian. With the Heir of Cumberland in the hands of a Norwegian Duke, problems may soon arise within the Duchy of Lothian for the rightful claim to Cumberland. The question is this: does the fate of Lothian rest on a child?

Earl Eadulf of Teviotdale is a strong man with claims on a large portion of Lothian. With a just slightly higher martial score than Eldrael, a revolt by this man would be devastating. As well as with Earl Dolfin, the Duchy of Northumberland has claims on this county should Earl Eadulf die without an heir. Earl Eadulf's opinion of Eldrael is satisfactory, but could be better.

The Earl of Clydesdale, Malcom of Strathclyde, has the lowest opinion of Ealdraed (as an Earl) in the entire Duchy of Lothian. With Clydesdale the second highest producer of possible levies for Ealdraed, this opinion would not serve well in his favor in any case that might come forth. He is not entirely useful to Ealdraed, as he has no skills and isn't of any use other than keeping Clydesdale under Lothian rule.

Spoiler for Council of Lothian
    Chancellor Edraed of Tyninghame is the foremost diplomat in Lothian. Relatively loyal and having a decent admiration for Eldrael, he will undoubtedly prove to be useful in the coming trials. Chancellor Edraed is of a higher middle age, especially by 11th Century standards, and may be departing this world for the next relatively soon. Such a case must be prepared for.

Marshal magnus de Falkirk is what some would consider a military genius. At a marshal skill of 18, he is undoubtedly a warrior that will not take defeat as an option. With a decent admiration for Duke Eldraed, obviously more admiration must be given by such a dangerous man. Should he fall to the Northumbrians or an enemy of Lothian, God knows only what would happen.

Mayor Aethelbeorht of Berwick is the standing Steward for Lothian. Standing with a Stewardship level of 16, he by far outmatches the skill of Eldraed. Though his opinion of Eldraed is not high, at least it is not of distaste. Aethelbeorht has other valuable traits as well, such as a relatively good marshal skill of 14. Perhaps he would be useful in leading a flank on the battlefield.

Though Aethelreda Mac Gregoir is a woman, she is undoubtedly the best person for the job as Lothian's Spymaster. With an extremely high admiration for Eldraed, she will of course be extremely useful in any plots that may need attending to, or those that might try to usurp Eldraed or even kill him. eldraed can rest assured that his spymaster would not be joining any plot to his demise.

The Court Chaplain of Lothian, the religious leader of the Duchy, Bishop Aethelbald of Tyninghame has a better opinion of Eldraed. It is more satisfactory than most, which is good, though it's unfortunate that he only listens to the Pope rather than his Liege.

Spoiler for Map of Lothian

Information About this AAR

Important details about how I will be playing this AAR and what kind of mods, and other game-related items will be listed here. If I've missed something, please don't hesitate to inform me so I may rectify the gap.

Current DLC's being used:
    • Dynasy Coat of Arms Pack 1
    • Legacy of Rome
    • Mongol Face Pack
    • Ruler Designer
    • Songs of Albion
    • Songs of Faith
    • Songs of the Holy Land

About

This AAR is going to start in the year 1066, with Duke Eldraed of Mercia (the generic character name) being the character I am playing. I did change his appearance, Coat of Arms, and traits as well as skills. Other than that, no characters in the rest of the world have been edited or changed in any way. After reading other CK:II AAR's, I decided to do my own. My main goal for this AAR is to become the King of Scotland, though once that is completed I have no idea where this story will go, or even if I will achieve that goal. I am a relatively new (but moderately experienced) player to Crusader Kings: II, so I will probably do things in hindsight I shouldn't have. Oh well, it happens. I'm doing this AAR for fun, and because I think it will be interesting and enjoyable for those who read it.

The style of writing I am going to be used will highlight the important events going on between each update, such as plot developments, wars, etc., rather than marriages (unless they are of high importance). Mundane things such as tax collection and holy wars will be talked about briefly but not in depth relative to their importance. This AAR will go highly in depth into the lives of many characters in Lothian, especially that of Duke Eldraed.

I hope that you will enjoy reading this AAR as much as I enjoy writing it. Thank you.
    Last edited by Isalith; December 29, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
    Crusader Kings: II AAR. Patriots Rise

Default Re: Patriots Rise [AAR]

Comprehensive List of Rulers

Duke of Lothian: Eldraed I of Lothian (House of Mercia) [15 September 1066 - ]

*** List is set up as follows: Title, Name, House, Ruling date ***

Default Re: Patriots Rise [AAR]

1) The Keystone

September 15, 1066
    Dunbar County
    Dunbar City

The wind howled its low, slow moan, sending a shiver down Eldraed's spine. Rain pattered his dark wool cloak, the constant feeling of water pressing against his clothing and skin keeping him from falling asleep or dosing off. He coughed quietly, patting the side of Baromir's neck, a subsequent neigh escaping from the stallion's maw. The hooves of the beast echoed like a glass shattering on cobblestone through the dark, quiet night, each step sounding like a legion of trumpets in the ears of Eldraed. Of course, the steps were very quiet and unintrusive to people's business that they would stop what they were doing and look, but nevertheless it seemed like Eldraed was sending a message to everyone around him that he was out and about. Eldraed shook his head, his nerves were getting the better of him; only few knew he was gone, and even fewer knew where he was going or why. No one would recognize him anyway, he never was one for the public eye.

The cobblestone pavement of Dunbar gradually gave way to the soft, muddy mesh of grass and dirt as Eldraed led Baromir out of the city. Eldraed had been visiting his good friend Bishop Aethelbald in Tyninghame the day prior, to see how the studies and religious upholding of Christendom were doing in the county. Of course, this had been a guise for his real reason for visiting Dunbar. Even so, Bishop Aethelbald had been ecstatic to see Eldraed there. He gave a long and over-zealous service of how Christ would show Eldraed the way in leading Dunbar to a brighter tomorrow, and offered the night's donations to the Church to Eldraed. Eldraed saw it as a test, as many things were with Bishop Aethelbald, and kindly declined the offer. He could see a twinge of disappointment in the Bishop's eye, but ignored it.

Baromir sneezed louder than Eldraed would have liked, sending his thoughts back into the moment at which he was in. Looking around, he sought to find the large boulder that Aethelreda had described to him. It was a marker to let Eldraed know he was going in the right direction, and that he was moments away from the Blue Dragon Inn. It was an inconspicuous tavern located on the eastern outskirts of Dunbar that wouldn't attract much attention and subsequently wouldn't have many folk in it. The last thing Eldraed needed was a commoner getting wind of his plans. That would spell disaster before it was even set in motion, and that simply would not do at all. looking towards the left of the treeline on the side of the path, Eldraed saw a large gray weather-eroded rock jutting out of the ground. It looked out of place within the other scenery, the lush trees and shrubberies giving way to an ever-expanding forest, yet here was a large boulder sitting contently among the foliage. Quaint.

The only way Eldraed could have seen the boulder at this time of night was due to the full moon peering down at him from its perch in the sky. The clouds often blotted out the moonlight, but nevertheless it had shone brightly at the moment Eldraed had needed it to, and he took it as a good omen for the night to come. Now that he had reached the first marker, he knew that he was relatively close to his objective. Eldraed snapped the reigns and sent Baromir into a light jog, feeling the wind catch the back of his cloak, the rain whipping at his face. The sounds of the hooves coming down on the moist dirt increased, but so did Eldraed's speed, leaving only his shadow in his wake. Eldraed could feel large droplets of water falling from the brow of his hood, splashing on his brow and nose. After galloping for not very long, Eldraed saw the faint glow of a small hut over the horizon; the Blue Dragon Inn.

Slowing his pace, he approached the Blue Dragon as any traveler would, inconspicuously and simply looking for shelter to wait out the storm. Riding up to the stables adjacent to the Inn itself, he tossed a stableboy a silver coin and hopped down from his perch on the saddle. Feeling his boot sink slightly in the mud of the stable, Eldraed shook it off with a twitch of his ankle. Walking around the front of the building, he clutched the metal clasp and opened the door, stepping inside swiftly and quietly. Slowly lowering his hood down the back of his head, Eldraed took note of what was going on in the tavern. A wench was laying across a table being tickled and touched by some fat bearded men, while others were serving ale and mead. Others were sitting around a large fire that kept out the cold, whilst still others were gambling in a far corner of the room. Peering around the room for a second or two, Eldraed spied who he had come here to see.

Aethelreda was sitting with her back towards him in a dark corner of the tavern, inconspicuous to anyone not looking for her, and yet blatantly obvious to the trained eye. Walking over at a moderate pace, Eldraed scoped out her body language. She was sitting straight and firm, though he could tell about her head movements that there was a slight twinge of nervousness about her. Why, he could probably assume on his own, though he never did like assuming things. As he walked past her on the right side, he calmly and quietly said, "Aethelreda." He noticed from the corner of his eye that she looked up at him, verifying that it was indeed Eldraed. As Eldraed sat down across from her, she smiled faintly.

"It's good to see you, Eldraed." She looked at him innocently, almost trying to mask a deeper and darker emotion.
    "As it is you, Aethelreda."
    "You're a bit late, you know."
    "Is my puncuality truly that important to you? Or do you simply wish to give me strife?"
    "You know I wouldn't do that to you, Eldraed. Besides, we have business to conduct - do we not?"
    "Aye, we do."
    "So let's get it done then, hmm?"
    "Are you chastising me?"
    "Now why ever would I do that?"
    "You'd best hold your tongue, woman. If you know what's best."
    "I'm a woman, Eldraed. We don't know much of anything, dontchyaknow."
    "Gah." Eldraed spat into a mug sitting on the table. "Let's get on with it, then."
    "Are you sure you want to do this?"
    "Aye, I'm sure."
    "Very well. If you really want to do this, you need to get rid of the Northumberland claims on Teviotdale and Cumberland. If not, they'll be a recurring neussance."
    "How might I go about that?"
    "Kill them? Marry into the county? That's up to you."
    "Aye. What else?"
    "Butter up some of the other Dukes, you'll need support."
    "You say that like I don't already know."
    "Frack you. You're the one that called me here."
    "Shut your trap. Is there anything important you have for me?"
    "I'm in the beginning stages of creating a spy network in Northumberland."
    "That's what I like to hear. Good, good."
    "They're not very fond of you, Eldraed. I'd be wary."
    "I'm too proud to be wary, Aethelred."
    "You wanted my insight on something else, correct? Something you wouldn't specify in the letter."
    "Yes. I want to know your opinion on a plot to depart our beloved Earl Malcom of Clydesdale."
    "Why would you want to do that?"
    "I'm the heir to his land, and he is only granting me about half his levies as of now. Levies that I will undoubtedly need."
    "True... You have my backings, then."
    "Good. I will surely need it."

Spoiler for Other Events
    25 September 1066: King Malcom III of Scotland asks for a vote to institute Limited Crown Authority, Duke Eldraed votes 'Aye'.
    1 October 1066: Duke Eldraed and Duchess Gwenllian of Gwynned (now Lothian) get married, giving Lothian claims on Wales.