Thread: About Settlement Happiness

Default About Settlement Happiness

I've not played too many turns yet in the campaign, but I'm getting the feeling that I'll need to keep more than the 3-5 units in each settlement that I'm comfortable with putting in the garrison. The growth rate is very high, and seems like it will take more than a few units to keep the settlement content.

Any more than a few units will be too costly, though; I don't want to put an army's worth of troops in each place, as I'd go bankrupt pretty fast. Any thoughts or ideas, here, anyone? I realize that part of the problem is religious unrest, but after that calms down, the question is, can 3 to 5 units keep a settlement in the green?

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: About Settlement Happiness

Well there are a lot of buildings that raise public order substantially. Look in the government categories of the building browser and check for buildings that raise public order - many raise as much as 30%! When you highlight the buildings, the tooltip tells you which prerequisite buildings you need in order to build it, and that should give you some direction.

Other buildings that significantly add to public order are religious (cheap), farming/raison d'etre (medium) and military (expensive). Good governors with management abilities help a lot while you're trying to pacify a region. Also bear in mind... when conquering foreigners, you should not shy away from the execution button if you feel the area will be difficult to hold. This is a setting of absolute brutality, and the game reflects this. The fear you create in doing so will give you a grace period in which to pacify the region.

If you find yourself running low on money while you wait 12 turns for government centers and AEthlings to be completed, it's easy to make some money while your army just sits around! Go sack a city and then give up trying to manage it - just make off with the plunder!! It's no problem to let the rebels take the city from you, after all, and you've just made off with 14,000 gold .
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

Thanks for the advice. That'll come in handy.

More specifically, I've played some more turns and regions that are fully, uh, Romanized, as I'm playing as the Romans, are doing moderately well on their happiness levels, though only the ones I started out with; then again, I've got big stacks in them as they are on my borders.

Too bad there are no free upkeep units that I can find that exist. Oh well. As long as the conquered regions will eventually fall in line and like me just as much as my starting cities, then I'm content.

One thing I noticed was that religious conflict was a huge part of disorder in this version. If you're a Christian nation, pick Catholic or Pelagiusism, you can't have both operating at the same time or you seem to get the 80% religious conflict penalty, which makes a big difference. Outside that, garrison, garrison, garrison! Alue are useful because they're cheap and can (sorta) hold their own unless you're attacked by a professional army with heavy troops suddenly.

AEthlings, most important

I have also huge problems with settlement happiness. Religious unrest is everywere 80% even if I have 80%+ christians. The other religious buildings push only another religion and 2% from the chapell isnīt a lot. I recocgnized also that I canīt get more than 125% public order bonus due law. Happiness boni seem pretty small in this mod.

What else can I do to increase public order?
    Now my priority is:
    Max religious building of your religion
    Build law buildings until 125%
    Then only small improvemnts with happienss and health
    ?

Especially in castles where I canīt change to low taxes its difficult to get min 75% puplic order.

Use aulue like stated before, 230 upkeep, I tend to use a governor in everything, this seems expensive but if you know what your doing with economy you should.be fine. Everyone has to understand, britain at this time was unstable at best, religion, corruptions, and rebellions, Rio and team made this part of the mod difficult to portray the troubles or the time. I think if you don't like it play somthing else

Quote Originally Posted by Knel View Post
    I have also huge problems with settlement happiness. Religious unrest is everywere 80% even if I have 80%+ christians. The other religious buildings push only another religion and 2% from the chapell isnīt a lot. I recocgnized also that I canīt get more than 125% public order bonus due law. Happiness boni seem pretty small in this mod.

What else can I do to increase public order?
    Now my priority is:
    Max religious building of your religion
    Build law buildings until 125%
    Then only small improvemnts with happienss and health
    ?

Especially in castles where I canīt change to low taxes its difficult to get min 75% puplic order.
    What faction are you playing Knel? Maybe I can direct you somewhat

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

I play as Guened.
    With 92-93% christinas in some settlement i have still 80% religious unrest, will I ever get 100% christians or will it stop some percents before? If I donīt get 100%, the convertion would have only a low priority.
    Is it possible to get more than 5% public order from happines buildings?
    I exterminate every settlement I capture, the starting settlement are my problem with public order. I have more Ardu units as garrisons there than my field army has as units.
    I have also 50% unrest(the crossed swords upon fire) in a lot of my settlement, how can I get rid of that?
    At the moment I could keep everything silent because I built everything that gives me health but that increases also the growthrate so I will face more unrest due to squalor in a few turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Knel View Post
    I play as Guened.
    With 92-93% christinas in some settlement i have still 80% religious unrest, will I ever get 100% christians or will it stop some percents before? If I donīt get 100%, the convertion would have only a low priority.
    Is it possible to get more than 5% public order from happines buildings?
    I exterminate every settlement I capture, the starting settlement are my problem with public order. I have more Ardu units as garrisons there than my field army has as units.
    I have also 50% unrest(the crossed swords upon fire) in a lot of my settlement, how can I get rid of that?
    At the moment I could keep everything silent because I built everything that gives me health but that increases also the growthrate so I will face more unrest due to squalor in a few turns.
    Knel-Patch II.6-You must construct buildings that assimilate the local population and before you expand. Try these two types-

-First focus on the Government and Infra-structure building tree. You need the Comites Civitatus construction to begin assimilation the province. A minor building is required so build the required Romano settlement building... if not already there... Then Romano Government Center is key for for the increase in law is quite dramatic 50% but the building Exemplaria Instituendorum Armorum(Roman manual) is needed first-

-Another vital building tree to focus on is your Romano High Kingship. Construct your minor treasury then immediately create the Provincial Dux. You will see a dramatic increase in law-about 30% increase

All these constructions are at the provincial settlements village level so they are obtainable. I'm concerned though to why so much religious unrest. Anything other than Christianity type buildings destroy such as Pelagianism types-a Christan sect that historically existed in Britain.

One of the aspects of this game is that you can as a Romano faction digress away from the Roman type institutions and begin constructing your faction toward the Heroic Society's Kingdom’s Raison d’ętre - pre feudalism type rule and is much cheaper and easier to develop w/high law bonuses ...but I don't want to confuse you further. Try to follow what I posted above.. Let me know if this helps
    Last edited by Riothamus; February 22, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

I canīt get more than 125% public order bonus with law so these huge law numbers wonīt help me and I have 125% already and itīs not enough in most settlements. I can build them but they wonīt give me additioanl law.
    I havenīt built any pelagian churches or so and destroyed all of them, I have really 90%+ Christians in my settlements ( the normal cross symbol) but 80% religious unrest.

Something doesn't seem right. I just looked see and am not experiencing what you are..You have the 11.6 Patc installed right?

Yes, I have the II.6 patch and followed the installation instructions.

Sorry for the dobblepost but I have to push this thread because my problems still exist.
    Tried reinstalling, redownloading (the 7z files) and still canīt get more than 125% law bonus, canīt get more than 5% happiness bonus. As a christian nation I have always 80% religious unrest except when a settlement has 100% christians then I have 0% religious unrest, other religions work normal/fine in my opinion. Every non-starting province gets 50% unrest (crossed swords upon fire the symbol) a few turns after conquering...

These problems make it almost impossible to hold your regions because population is so huge (even after exterminating) that I get almost everywhere 80% unrest from squalor and 80% unrest from capital distance.
    I would say that this game is unplayable at the moment for me.
    Which issues that Iīve posted are intended and which ones are bugs/corrupted files/whatever?
    Anyone with ideas or solutions is welcome.

Knel, try holding out a bit longer until we release the Expansion Patch III. This way I can be on the same page w/you and go over percisively the faction, level of difficulty etc...I never like to say when anything will be relased but I can say we are doing some very final testing on it