Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] A Seleukid AAR?

Default [EB AAR] A Seleukid AAR?

Yesterday, I spent thewhole day at the office (having recently returned from my summer holidays) reading the excellent KH AAR by Demetrious II (hey... it's August. everything is slow this time of the year ), and being in the middle of my grand Seleukid campaign, I just realized there is no AAR for the Seleukid faction... not even a game guide...

So... since I always wanted to write an AAR, and I still have enough free time on my hands , I thought I'd start one here and share my experience with the (usually overlooked) Seleukids...

Only problem is that I was not intending to do any AAR when I started out on my mission to rebuild Alexander's empire, so I got no nice pictures, nor shots from the battles, not nothing... I'll try to include some eyecandy, starting from my current position, but the important events of the past will have to be reported as best as they can be, without images, and as I remember them, much like a chronicler of those times would put his account on papyrus (or clay tablets in our case)... Think of it as such a chronicle or (worse) as a game guide on how (not ) to play the Seleukids

A few notes before I begin:
    I'm playing VH/H, currently I'm in the year 237BC, the game evolves very much like in real history and I've "vowed" to fight to the "bitter end" - whether it'll be Alexander's empire restored or a province of the Roman empire

I've read a few of the comments around and it seems that people think the Seleukid faction is easy(-ier than others), just because of its sheer size and volume. It couldn't be farther from truth, it's been a constant challenge from the word 'go' and it's still not over (the prospect of disaster is very much real at any time).

The root of the problem is that the Seleukids are overstretched across the map and don't start off not even with a worthwhile stack...

So... on with the show

[I hope you like it... don't judge it harshly, I know it doesn't stand up to the high standards of Demetrious II or Mangalore's molossian AAR]

Default Re: A Seleukid AAR?

Chronicle of the Second Syrian War (reconstructed from the clay tablets of Babylon, referring to the great conflict between the great rivals, Antiochos II Theos and Ptolemy II Philadelphos)

22nd Regnal Year [237BC] of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (Antiochos the King, as he is actually recorded in such clay tablets, retrieved from the archives of Babylon)

This is the 24th year of the great war, which our Egyptian enemies refer to as "Second Syrian War"... [we (i.e. I) prefer to call it "Cyrenean War", because it all started in Cyrene, a province of the Egyptian kingdom, but that will have to wait]

In this year, Si-lu-ku Dumu Lugal (Seleukos, the Crown Prince), called "Kallinikos" (something like "of beautiful victories"), son of An-ti-uk-su Lugal, achieved a crushing victory over the invading army of Theodekles of Carthage in our satrapy of Paraetonion in Egypt.

In this year, our friends and allies of the Roman Republic declared war against the perfidious Karthadastim in accordance with our mutual defense agreement.

This year, the traitorous Baktrian satrap, Diodotus, laid siege on three of our cities in the east, Antiochia-Margiane, Prophtasia and Alexandria-Ariane. A satrapal army is marching to relieve them.

This year, the Yuezhi savages from the step raid the king's farthest province, Alexandria the last.

This year, the Macedonian army captured our city of Mazaka, capital of the Mazakene satrapy. This loss the king is intent to avenge...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To understand how this all came to pass, one has to go back to the beginning of the chronicle, and to the final years of the reign of Antiochos I Soter, son of Seleukos I Nikator, founder of the Seleukid dynasty

The End of the First Syrian War

9th Regnal Year [272BC] of An-ti-uk-su Lugal, son of Si-lu-ku the Victor, King of Kings (refers to the father of Antiochos II Theos)

This is the 2nd year of the "First Syrian War" (in RL 274BC-271BC) and there has been no campaigning from either side this year.

This year, the Egyptians remain in their fortresses of Sidon (Phoenicia) and Jerusalem (Judaea), so do our main hold fast to Damascus and Antioch.

In this year, news of several rebellions in the Persian heartland arrive at the court of the king in Si-lu-ku-a (Seleukeia on the Tigris)

In this year, a great rebel army from the south of Mesopotamia marches on to Si-lu-ku-a. If not checked, they'll lay siege to the very capital of the empire

In this year the king (i.e. I) reviewed the state of his armed forces and found them lacking. The king orders the assembly of an army in Syria and an army in Persis, from whatever (greek) units are garrisoned around his western and eastern dominions. This he orders to counter the threat of the many rebel armies marching against his cities of Seleukeia and Edessa, in the west, and Gabai, Apameia, Zadrakata, Hekatompylos and [text unreadable] (i.e. I don't remember the one to the northeast of Hekatompylos :tooth: ) in the east. Minor rebel activity in the mountains on Arachosia and the extreme east can be left out for now.

[NOTE: in fact the first game I started as Seleukids I had to abandon after 6-7 turns, as I had chosen to disregard those pestersome rebels and they actually captured ALL these settlements - and others too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ]

In this year the king (i.e. I) reviewed the state of the empire's economy and found it lacking. The king orders the construction of roads to connect his cities and (minor) ports to boost the trade between them (and of course traders where there are none). But the royal treasury is depleted and the king orders expenditure to be reduced. The Aegean transport fleet and the Persian gulf transport fleet are disbanded (they offer nothing and just spend money).

But even so, the economy is in dire straits.

The king from his court in Si-lu-ku-a orders his diplomats to establish trade agreements with his numerous neighbours. To the Parthian ruler in the east he offers an alliance (cover my back from that side). To his Ma-ak-ka-da-na-a (Macedonian) bretherens in the west he offers an alliance (they start at war with the Egyptians). To the Hayasdan and Pontians he offers [text unreadable] (I think I started out with alliance/trade rights)

10th Regnal Year [271BC] of An-ti-uk-su Lugal, son of Si-lu-ku the Victor, King of Kings

In this year the king's hosts assembled in the eastern satrapies and the western satrapies and dealt a hard blow to the rebels that thought they could challenge the might of the King of Kings. The usurper of Babylon (ie the leader of the rebel army marching on Seleukeia - a 4 or 5 star general) was killed in battle.

In this year the king (i.e. I) reviewed the state of the empire's economy and still found it lacking. The king had to make a decision...

In this year the king ordered his diplomats to the court of his enemy, the pharaoh of Egypt, Ptolemy II Philadelphos with a peace proposal. The pharaoh accepted and peacful relations restored after the fruitless war. Trade would flourish and the empire too...
    Last edited by justme; August 08, 2006 at 05:01 AM.

the first couple of years are a race against the clock for the Seleukids

I had to march my scattered troops from all over the place to get something like a decent stack (not full of course) in the east and fight the rebels. I even had to let the rebels devastate the land around Hekatompylos for about 4-5 years before I felt confident to attack them.

And the same goes for the western rebellions. That 4-5 star general was a tough one to crack, he actually did lay siege on Seleukeia and I had to wait it out for 2-3 turns before I could attack him from behind with my Syrian army.

The fact is that the Seleukid have a very large military, eating up your treasury but scattered all around the map, with most garrisons comprising of a few pantodapoi (2-3) and a unit of peltasts.

Also, the eastern provinces tend to turn red-faced pretty soon, there is a lack of governors (even if you get offered quite a few adoptions early on) and there's no money to build decent roads and ports (I had to wait quite a few years before starting to build paved roads)

Things aren't better in the west, where Sardis starts blue/red-faced and you get no money to build anything other than a fortress (2000 mnai) or an asklepeion (1600 mnai). In general, my economy during the whole campaign was and still is as ********y as hell...

As for training facilities: you start out with practically nothing (only Antioch can build pezhetairoi) and even though things changed following the peace deal with the Egyptians, I'm now in 237BC and I still have no elephants of my own, I just managed to finish the military complex in prophthasia that allows elephants to be built and not only do I lack the funds (10000 mnai per unit) but I also got besieged by those Baktrian *********s

Oh and the rebels are a constant pain in the a*** They sprout out of nowhere, blocking all roads and passes, even blocking your far away towns and there's no chance of ever getting rid of them... they ate up all my time during the years of peace until I just had to give up and let them eat up my revenue, while I get to fight wars on all fronts

So much for an "easy" Seleukid campaign...

The Beginning of the Second Syrian War
    Death of Antiochos I Soter and Accession of Antiochos II Theos (in-game he's called Theodoros )

Regnal Years 10th through 20th of An-ti-uk-su Lugal [271BC through 261BC]

These were years of peace, during which the king ordered the building of many roads, ports, temples and (never had money for more than) baths in the many cities of the empire. The Esagila temple in Babylon was reopened. Trade routes were established with many foreign lands (even got the Sweboz to sign trade agreements) and alliance were forged with powerful states, most notably the Roman Republic and Carthage in the west.

Also the king ordered many barracks to be constructed to assemble local forces capable of dealing with the various rebels and bandits in the mountains of the east, who did much damage to the trade.

The king sent satraps to the east to take possession of his cities, pacify the local populations (ie the redfaces in Persis), building military outposts (ie watchtowers) along the main routes and eliminate the threat of the local bandits (when possible, with the limited forces I had)

In those years, the pharaoh of Egypt did not seek peace and the bounties it can offer, but instead sought war and plunde. He thought to make himself as great as the King of Kings by conquest and blood... And Egypt took the Sinai and the lands to the south along the Nile, reaching Nubia and Ethiopia.

And Ptolemy planned to conquer Palmyra, just a short distance from Damascus, from where he could also threaten the heartland of our empire. But his plans were thwarted and he had to abandon Palmyra and turn to another direction. To Cyrene...

Years ago, Magas ,a cousin of Ptolemy II Philadephos, had been appointed governor of Cyrene. He sought to better his province's condition and in the course he saw that depending on an indifferent central beaurocracy was only hindering or outright frustrating his efforts. He gradually became more autonomous, then totally independant, causing his cousin to invade. Magas came to the King of Kings a refugee, who offered shelter and even a daughter of his as wife. He was given a command in the king's army and support would be offered to reclaim and defend his kingdom of Cyrene...

By provision of the peace treaty that concluded the First Syrian War, Cyrene was agreed to remain neutral territory - much to Magas disappointment, who had to accept the satrapy of Coele Syria (governor of Damascus) as compensation.

Now Ptolemy challenged the King of Kings by invading Cyrene despite the oaths taken with the signing of the peace...

20th Regnal Year [261BC] of An-ti-uk-su Lugal

In this year the pharaoh of Egypt, Ptolemy II Philadelphos lay siege on the city of Cyrene, in violation of the peace treaty signed in the 10th Regnal Year of the King of Kings. The King of Kings declared war and made the sacrifices to the gods of war (scripted event)

In this year the king entrusted the command of his Syrian army to Magas of Cyrene

Campaign in Phoenicia

[text unreadable] (ie can't rember) Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (not even clear which Antiochos is meant here - prolly it's still Antiochos I Soter)

In this year, the Syrian army under Magas of Cyrene marched into Phoenicia coming from the Palmyrene frontier (ie I had tried to conquer the much weakened town myself but war broke out before I could even lay siege).

In this year the king ordered the eastern army to march to the west and join his forces in the struggle against Egypt. The garrisons were stripped of their best units and were brought into Mesopotamia.

[text unreadable] (ie can't rember still) Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (not even clear which Antiochos is meant here - must be Antiochos I Soter)

In this year many skirmishes were fought all over Phoenicia, Coele Syria and Judaea. Magas' Syrian army managed to invest the city of Sidon and lay siege to it.

In this year a mighty army of Egypt marched out of [text unreadable] (ie don't know where they came from, they just appeared at my back) and proceeded to relieve Sidon.

In this year the Syrian army under Magas of Cyrene met the Egyptian army under [text unreadable] (ie no clue, he was a multi-star general though) and fought the battle to decide the fate of Sidon. [text unreadable] (ie dont remember how the battle evolved) and the troops of Syria utterly destroyed the Egyptian army and the garrison that had sallied forth from the walls of Sidon... alas though, their general, succumbed to his many wounds and was put to lay in his grave. The troops entered the city of Sidon and, to avenge their dead general, committed many attrocities and brought great destruction to the people of the city (ie option no 3 - exterminate :devil: )

In this year, [text unreadable] and An-ti-uk-su [text unreadable] took command of the Syrian army (ie Antiochos II Theos became commander of the army, but I can't remember if he was king already or not)

22nd Regnal Year [259BC] of An-ti-uk-su Lugal

In this year, the mighty King of Kings, An-ti-uk-su, son of Si-lu-ku the Victor died. His son, An-ti-uk-su succeeded him (1st Regnal Year of Antiochos II Theos)

In real life the First Syrian War ended in 271BC, just as in my campaign

Also, Antiochos I Soter died in 261BC and was succeeded by his son Antiochos II, surnamed Theos. In my campaign this happened just two years later, in 259BC and the successor is named (funny indeed) Theo-doros Syriakos

In real life, the Second Syrian war started in 260BC, in my campaign it started in 261BC, just a year off

Also, I'm not sure when it happened in the game, but Antiochos II got a son whose name in-game is Kallinikos Syriakos, which is exactly what Seleukos II, son of Antiochos II, was surnamed in real life

Many (near) coincidences, making the game all the more historical and enjoyable

The Second Syrian War - The Second Phase: After the Conquest of Phoenicia

The Judaean Campaign

1st Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal

In this year, the king appointed his brother, Sarpedon, the satrap of Edessa, as Dumu Lugal (crown prince) of the empire. He will rule in the king's stead during the king's absence

[text unreadable] Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (ie cant remember)

In this year the eastern army arrived in Phoenicia. The city of Sidon, still rebellious (ie red faced) was garrisoned and designated as a satrapy of the empire (ie started building the satrapy government type)

In this year the king led his Syrian army into Judaea. Many skirmishes were fought and in all he was victorious (in fact there were quite a few big battles, as the Ptolemies started sending in all they had)

[text unreadable] Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (between 258BC-255BC)

In this year and, after many battles, the Syrian army invested the city of Jerusalem. The Phoenician army (formerly eastern army), under [text unreadable], the satrap of Phoenicia, offered cover, staving off enemy attacks against the besieging army

[text unreadable] Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (between 258BC-255BC)

In this year and after a siege of many months, the Syrian army [text unreadable] (I think I stormed the walls, but I'm not sure any more) and thus captured the city of Jerusalem from the enemy. But the king's men entering the city soon were out of control of their officers and proceeded to commit grave attrocities, killing men and women alike, stealing their wealth, burning their houses and defiling their temples [WOA: I'm not anti-semite or anything , I just pressed the usual option 3 - :devil: ]. The king saw this and was quite distressed at the plight of the people (he got a bad-sleeper trait or something).

In this year, the king established himself in Jerusalem and confirmed the old rights to the Jewish people, to worship freely and live as their laws command... and this he did to make amends for their unjust suffering, asking only in return their obedient service (ie got Judaean skirmishers)
    (they were all red faced when Antiochos left the city, so he had to stay in there as governor and have almost a full stack with him to keep the peace)

In this year, the king assigned [text unreadable], the satrap of Sidon, to lead the Syrian army

The campaign in the Petra and the Sinai

[text unreadable] Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (between 255BC-252BC)

In this year, Si-lu-ku, son of An-ti-uk-su, has come of age. The king does not name him his successor yet... the young man will have to prove himself worthy (ie he was sharp/charismatic/vigorous, but he got also selfish/pessimistic/disloyal)

In this year, Si-lu-ku, son of An-ti-uk-su, joined the Syrian army as second in command to [text unreadable], the satrap of Sidon. The army moved into Petraea Arabia to campaign against the Egyptian foes.

In this year, the Syrian army fought a great battle again two armies of Egyptians near Bostra and won a great victory.

In this year, the Syrian army campaigned into the Sinai and destroyed many Egyptian armies
    (from this point on, the Egyptians were sending their armies two and three at a time, coming from Bostra, the Sinai and Egypt proper, all of them trying frantically to recapture Jerusalem, which was rioting all the time until I managed to finish the satrapy government type)

In this year, the satrap of Sidon received a wound in one of the skirmishes against the Egyptians in the Sinai. The Syrian army retired to Judaea, the satrap returned to Sidon, from then onwards to govern in peace (also rioting all the time) and the king entrusted the command of the Syrian army to his son, Si-lu-ku

In this year, the Phoenician army, under [text unreadable], besieged Bostra and following an assault against its walls, took the town and put its people to the sword (option 3, always ). The city was razed to the ground and the victorious army brought its spoils back to Jerusalem (razed all buildings and left it to the Egyptians)

In this year, Si-lu-ku and his Syrian army ventured as far as Petra, devastating many Egyptian armies before retiring back to Judaea.

The Macedonian Betrayal and Blitz at the Nile

[text unreadable] Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (ca 252BC)

In this year the unthinkable happened... the Ma-ak-ka-da-na-a (Macedonian) king betrayed our trust. He made a pact with the pharaoh of Egypt, so that they would share between them the lands of An-ti-uk-su. He was promised the territories of Asia Minor, the pharaoh would get Judaea and Phoenicia back, as well as all of Syria.

The Ma-ak-ka-da-na-a blockaded the port of Sardis (actually Sardis is quite inland and obviously has no port, except maybe in-game :tooth: ) and sent a small army across the Bosphorus, marching to Ipsos.

In this year, the Phoenician army was marched north to support Ipsos and deal with the Egyptian holdings in Cilicia and Caria.

In this year, the Syrian army, under the still young Si-lu-ku, embarked on a daring campaign, crossing the Sinai and entering Egypt proper. He broke the enemy's defense and marched his army to the walls of Memphis

[text unreadable] Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (ca 251BC)

In this year the Phoenician army invested Tarsos and proceeded to besiege the city. It would fall within the year and its citizens put to the sword (option 3)

In this year, the small Ma-ak-ka-da-na-a force arrived at Ipsos and tried to besiege the city, but the satrap of Ipsos (a Hellen expert at commanding infantry) used his lightly armed troops (all skirmishers and archers) to crush the invader.

The king offered terms to his Ma-ak-ka-da-na-a bretheren and a peace treaty was signed, trade rights re-established, but the old alliance was not renewed

In this year, Si-lu-ku had his chance to prove himself worthy. His army attacked Memphis and conquered it. The people were put to the sword and the young prince tried to establish himself as satrap in his father name... However, it seems that in a fit of rage or drunken stupor he through his cup and killed a cat, which is a holy animal for the Egyptians (one turn in that bloody city and he turns into a cat-killer??? oh man...) Facing the growing discontent of the people he ordered his men to raze the city to the ground and retired to Judaea...

For all these deeds, his many victories and his proven bravery in battle, the young prince was surnamed by his soldiers "Kallinikos" (in real life, I think "Kallinikos" referred to Seleukos' prowess in sports)

Before the Walls of Alexandria

11th Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Theos [248BC]

In this year, the satrap of Sardis, Attalos, died a peaceful death.

In this year a number of mining facilities were finally completed and offered much needed revenue to support the war effort (ie I hadn't built mines from the beginning, nor during the years of peace and now, when already at war I was running to get my revenues up - dont make the same mistake I did If you intend to play Seleukids, it caused many headaches to me)

In this year, the daring Si-lu-ku, despite his officers advice, despite his father's wishes, marched his army into Egypt once more, destroying all armies that opposed his advance (small ones, but all powerful units) and making for the heart of the Ptolemaic empire, the seat of Ptolemy II Philadelphos himself... Alexandria! (a gamble to stop the Egyptians from sending all those stacks against Jerusalem)

Convinced of the enemy's weakness, he proceeded to invest the city and lay siege, building mighty war machines to break the walls

In this year, the city of Side fell to the Phoenician army and the recently levied Judaean army, commanded by the son of Magas of Cyrene, proceeded to capture the city of Bostra (that had become again a thorn in my side, threatening Jerusalem and Damascus)

In this year [text corrupted by CTD!!!!!!!! :tooth: ] (I was attacked by two Egyptian armies in Alexandria, so facing three stacks I retreated to higher ground, they attacked again, I fought the battle and after *********ing them royally - heroic victory, 0 survivors - I got the reinforcement CTD . So I reloaded the save game, autocalc the battle - using a cheat, or I'd lose - and lost half my men) and Si-lu-ku had to retreat to Judaea.

12th Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Theos [247BC]

In this year, Si-lu-ku received reinforcements and with a full stack - erm, I mean a mighty host, he invaded Egypt a third time, proceeding once more to invest Alexandria

The pharaoh of Egypt had mustered a great army of his own in Paraetonion and [text unreadable] (ie the city south of Paraetonion, in the desert) and marched to confront the young prince (NOTE: I couldn't even count the stars that Ptolemy had... my Kallinikos had only two, which he also lost when attacking - hesitant attacker trait)

In summer, the armies clashed near Alexandria (I had to retreat once to avoid another possible CTD). The army of Ptolemy II Philadelphos, with second in command [unreadable] (cant remember but had 3-4 stars of his own), attacked head on the Pezhetairoi of Seleukos Kallinikos' phalanx, while hetairoi cavalry and numerous peltasts and pantodapoi attacked both the left and right flank guarded by thorakitai (NOTE: ridiculous, but not even in 237BC can I recruit hetairoi of my own - except in Alexandria with the ptolemaic government type ). The charge in the center was spearheaded by Ptolemy Philadelphos himself with more than 100 of his finest horsemen... the phalanx almost gave way until Seleukos Kallinikos himself charged from behind and the great pharaoh of Egypt, Ptolemy II Philadelphos felll... his men did not break though... the battle raged on, until the Egyptians cracked both flanks (the right one first) and the Syrian army was completely decimated...

In that year, Si-lu-ku suffered his greatest defeat... Out of [unreadable] (around 3000 men) of the elite Syrian army (all veterans with chevrons) only two units of Pezheteroi survived, badly hit though, four (I think) units of Persian archers and a unit of peltasts.

Even in defeat, the valiant prince (not prince valiant :tooth: ) managed another seemingly impossible feat... he led the survivors out of Egypt, evading the numerous (small stack) armies of the enemy. He retreated to Judaea to plan his further steps...

13th Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Theos [246BC]

In this year, the king of the Ma-ak-ka-da-na-a renewed his alliance with the pharaoh of Egypt and declared war once more. His armies sallied forth from their fortresses in [unreadble] (they were at war with Pontos all this time and had already got a base in the black sea, north of Mazaka), Byzantion and Nikomedia

after the successes of 248BC, 246BC was a real low point... the Syrian army was no more (practically) and I had to get more money and build new troops.... any kind of troops
    and the Macs hitting on me at the same time, when Ipsos and Sardis couldnt (and Ipsos still cant) recruit a single useful unit apart from all those skirmishers

but of course, things could and would get even worse

Heh looking foward to the rest. I had a short Seleucid campain a while back. Burned all my cities east of Seleucida and Susa and left them alone. Then took all asia minor, then hit eygpt proper. Glad to hear about your loss *not that you lost, but that the AI is giving you a good fight*.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Quote Originally Posted by Fondor_Yards
    Heh looking foward to the rest. I had a short Seleucid campain a while back. Burned all my cities east of Seleucida and Susa and left them alone. Then took all asia minor, then hit eygpt proper. Glad to hear about your loss *not that you lost, but that the AI is giving you a good fight*.

it's giving me a better fight than I'd care for at times far too many stacks prancing around my territories

As for strategy-wise, the aim was to try to play historically from the beginning... so abandoning the eastern satrapies was not in my plan (of course it made my game all the more difficult :tooth: ).

Also it so happens that the numerous eastern satrapies are the ones with the mining resources (almost all of them east of susa), so even if I couldn't afford it immediately, I had to hold on to them and gradually build those mines for the badly needed revenues they provide
    Last edited by justme; August 09, 2006 at 03:22 AM.

An Overlooked Fragment (ie I forgot about this one)

[text unreadable] Regnal Year of An-ti-uk-su Lugal (ca 252BC or 253BC)

In this year the Egyptian army entered Judaea and tried to attck Jerusalem from two directions, from the south [text unreadable] (a stack I believe came from Petra) and from the west, the Royal army, marched out of Alexandria, under the command of the pharaoh Ptolemy himself

The king received the reports at his headquarters in Jerusalem and marched out of the city to take command of the Syrian army.

In this year, the Syrian army, commanded by the king An-ti-uk-su and his son, Si-lu-ku, attacked the Royal Egyptian army west of Jerusalem. They descended upon their enemy from the mountains and dealt a heavy blow to the pharaoh's ambitions. The victorious king returned to Jerusalem, the Syrian army received reinforcements

In this year, Ptolemy and the remnants of his Royal army withdrew defeated from Judaea, pursued by the Syrian army up to the borders of Egypt
    Last edited by justme; August 09, 2006 at 03:41 AM.

I failed to kill him even though I had the high ground and he charged into the phalanx just like he did a few years later near Alexandria

However, chasing him down to Egypt, I saw that their defences were minimal and that's when I decided that I had enough of their pressure on Judaea and that I had to blitz Egypt to get some respite and consolidate my gains
    Last edited by justme; August 09, 2006 at 03:43 AM.

Conquest of Cyprus and the War in Asia Minor

14th Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [245BC]

In this year the Syrian army was reconstituted, receiving new troops and reinforcements in Antiochia.

In this year the king ordered the levy of the second Phoenician/Judaean army, with troops from Phoenicia and Judaea. Its command was entrusted to the king's son-in-law, Lasthenes

In this year, Seleukos Kallinikos, commander of the Syrian army, ordered the construction of a transport fleet in Antiochia

In this year, the Macedonian army marched out of Amaseia (the city above Mazaka!) and layed siege on Mazaka. A second Macedonian army marched out of Nicomedia and proceeded to invest and besiege the city of the Pergamenes.

15th Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [244BC]

In this year the second Phoenician/Judaean army marched south, invading the Sinai and layed siege to the city of Petra, held by the Egyptians. The city resisted for a full year, before it was stormed and captured. The people were put to the sword, the city razed to the ground and Lasthenes retired to Judaea, bringing home much wealth

In this year, Seleukos Kallinikos embarked the transport fleet in Antiochia and invaded the island of Cyprus. The island that commands the trade routes to the west, he subjugated that same winter, he conquered the city of Salamis. He ordered all the men of the Egyptian garrison killed, their women and children too. 12000 people were put to the sword, their treasures shipped to Antiochia [ :devil: option 3 as always ].

In this year the Pontic king arrived at Mazaka at the head of his army, honoring the pact with the King of Kings. He attacked the Macedonian army at once and the defenders of Mazaka sallied forth to his aid. The Macedonians retired without a fight back to Amaseia

In this year an army was assembled in Sardis, the satrap of Lydia [unreadable] (ie dont remember) would command it against the Macedonians besieging the city of the Pergamenes

In this year the Pergamenes sallied forth and crushed their besiegers in battle. The survivors retired to Lesbos

In this year the Macedonian armies attacked the Gauls of Ankyra. Many skirmishes were reported being fought between the Pontic allies of the King of Kings and his Macedonian enemies in the regions north of Ancyra and Mazaka

244BC woohoo!!! the good days are back

but money is the name of this game! (very much realistic indeed)

My economy was going down fast, I couldn't build financial structures (in 237BC I don't have not even one proper market in my core provinces!!!!) and I had to build new units like mad (before the Egyptians would knock on the doors of Jerusalem again)

After the defeat in Alexandria I had no army to defend Judaea, I had to build new/retrain the old. I marched all the Persian archers to Edessa and Arbela to retrain them (they all had golden chevrons by now) and brought in fresh ones from as far away as Persepolis or Gabai

I also understood that Alexandria would not fall with only one army, so I started building the second army by recruiting anything/anyone I could in Sidon (Pezhetairoi) and Jerusalem (Pantodapoi phalangites, Judaean skirmishers)

I really needed the money and so I decided to attack Cyprus as soon as I had an adequate army again. The island immediately gave me 2.5K (despite low tax rate and red faces) plus the spoils of slaughtering everybody

But the big (and very pressing) challenge was now the Macedonians attacking all over Asia Minor. Ipsos, Sardis and Mazaka were constantly under siege and the best unit I could recruit in all these cities were... akontistai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like fun indeed, youŽre actually making me want to start a seleucid campaign, but, on the other hand, I still have to complete my Imperator II campaign...
    I guess IŽll try the seleucids once the next EB version is out, even though I, too, had always had the impression that they were too easy because of the huge lands they begin with and because they always are the best in the gameŽs faction ranking graphs in my games.

[Note: Now events begin developing too fast for me to describe simultaneously, so I have to split this in different theaters]

The Campaign in Asia Minor

16th Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [243BC]

In this year the satrap of Lydia marched his army from Sardis, after having received reinforcements of cavalry (another general... I can't recruit hetairoi in any of my cities) and skirmishers from Ipsos. In Ephesos he recruited Corinthian mercenaries and Macedonian deserters (ie misthoforoi phalangites). News came that more men were marching from Antioch, Tarsos and Side to join him. He led his army across the sea and invaded the island of Lesbos.

In this year the Macedonian king sent an army to surround Ipsos and another army to besiege Mazaka. Yet another army besieged the city of the Pergamenes.

In this year the island of Lesbos was subjugated, the city of Mitylene fell to the victorious army of the satrap of Lydia. There was much bloodshed in the streets when the city was stormed, many innocent were also slain in the turmoil. Much gold was dispatched to Sardis.

The satrap of Lydia left a large garrison on the island and returned to Sardis.

17th Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [242BC]

In this year the Macedonians attacked the walls of Pergamon and captured the city. They threatened Sardis and Lesbos.

In this year the reinforcements from Syria and Cilicia and Caria groupped south of Ipsos and attacked the Macedonian army besieging the town. [unreadable] (I think Hyrkanos Syriakos), the nephew of the King of Kings led them to battle. The defenders of Ipsos under [unreadable] (cant remember) the satrap, sallied forth to battle. The Macedonians suffered defeat and retired to Nicomedia broken

In this year [unreadable], the king's nephew, received reinforcements from Ipsos and Sardis. He recruited mercenaries and was joined by [unreadable] (another general arrives from Syria). He marched his army north

In this year the satrap of Lydia recruited more men in Sardis, he received more men from Lesbos and mercenaries from Ephesos. He marched his army to liberate Pergamon

In this year the Macedonian ferried their men across the Helespont and met the army of [unreadable], the king's nephew, in battle. They were defeated and retreated into Nikomedia

18th Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [241BC]

In this year the Macedonians finally subjugated the Gauls in Galatia. Ancyra became theirs

In this year the Macedonians proceeded to invest Mazaka once more. They sent an advance contingent to cut off all access to the town in anticipation of a larger force that would arrive in spring

In this year [unreadable], the king's nephew, led the Asia Minor army to the walls of Nicomedia, defeating all opposition (small stacks). He besieged the city and before the year's end, the Macedonians ferried another army across the Hellespont to challenge him.

In this year another Macedonian army besieged Ipsos and yet another Sardis

19th Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [240BC]

In this year the Macedonians besieging Ipsos and Sardis were joined by another group marching out of Galatia. They attacked the army of the satrap of Lydia besieging Pergamon, to relieve their garrison in that city. They were crushed in battle and the survivors sought refuge in the walls.

In this year a large Macedonian army besieged Mazaka and cut off all access to it.

In this year the Macedonian garrison of Nikomedia, reinforced by a large army from Byzantion, attacked the army of [unreadable], the king's nephew, besieging the city. [unreadable] retired beyond the river and blocked the bridge. The Macedonians foolishly attacked and were cut to pieces. They were pushed back and [unreadable] marched his army across the bridge to meet the relieving army. Those to were slaughtered and the city surrendered shortly after. As punishment for their resistance, the general allowed his victorious men a free hand in the city for three days. Many citizens were slaughtered, many other attrocities committed, the city was plundered, its spoils claimed by the victors.

20th Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [239BC]

In this year [unreadable], the satrap of Lydia, stormed the walls of Pergamon and took the city from the Macedonians. The garrison was slaughtered, the Pergamenes who had cooperated with the enemy were put to the sword.

In this year [unreadable] the general of the Macedonian forces in Pontos, stormed the walls of Mazaka. The city was captured, [unreadable] the satrap of Mazakene was killed in the defense of the city. The people of Mazaka were led off to the mines or sold as slaves in Macedonia and the Black Sea

21st Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [238BC]

In this year, [unreadable], the king's nephew led a large contingent of his army across the Hellespont to attack the city of Byzantion. He stormed the walls and the city was captured and burned to the ground, its people slaughtered in the streets and their wealth taken back to Nikomedia. This he did to avenge the people of Mazaka. He then retired to Nikomedia, leaving a small contingent to guard the acropolis of Byzantion, looming over the smoldering ruins

In this year [unreadable], son-in-law (or something) of the satrap of Phoenicia was appointed commander of the second Lydian army, that would be manned by units from Sardis, Mitylene, Pergamon, Ipsos, Side and Tarsos. It would be ready by summer next year.

22nd Regnal Year of Antiochos Theos [237BC]

In this year a Macedonian army attacked Byzantion and captured the city, killing all the men of the small garrison (akontistai)

In this year [unreadable], son-in-law of the satrap of Phoenicia marched his army out of Sardis and past Ipsos. He was met on the battlefield by an army of Macedon, marched out of Ancyra. He was victorious and the enemy army completely destroyed.

In this year [unreadable], the general-in-chief of the Macedonian armies in Pontos, marched out of Mazaka to support the city of Ancyra
    Last edited by justme; August 10, 2006 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meldon
    Sounds like fun indeed, youŽre actually making me want to start a seleucid campaign, but, on the other hand, I still have to complete my Imperator II campaign...
    I guess IŽll try the seleucids once the next EB version is out, even though I, too, had always had the impression that they were too easy because of the huge lands they begin with and because they always are the best in the gameŽs faction ranking graphs in my games.
    Their huge empire is really a big asset ONLY if you get enough money to build your cities' economy bases. The thing here is that as AI, the Seleukids actually get that money and the time to build mines and ports and markets everywhere (not to mention the various military complexes and huge walls, plus a gazillion stacks to throw at you in each turn), thanks to the bonus-extra money they receive each turn (EB rules) and also because of the VH campaign settings. So it's only natural that the biggest empire that can also develop its economy is 'easy' to play.

But as player, I found myself unable to build anything resembling a sound economy in my empire in all these years.

During the Syrian war (that's been going on for 35 years non-stop) I had to build units all the time (especially bad when I lost the Syrian army at Alexandria) and pay their upkeep, PLUS I lost the trade of Egypt (and then Macedon) AND I have those damned Egyptian fleets blockading my ports at random (Sidon and Jerusalem were their favorites, then they picked on Salamis and Tarsos) AND the eastern satrapies are full of rebels blocking my roads and cutting down my revenues.

On the other hand in peace (AND in war), you have to face a major problem (one that war does nothing to alleviate) that is kind of 'hidden' in the AAR: population
    overgrowth!!!!!!

What happens is this: as your empire is so big, many of your satrapies, both east and west get the "distance-from-capital" penalty. Also, your eastern satrapies get extra penalties due to culture or something. You also have to strip many garrisons from the beginning to create something-like-a-decent stack both in the east and the west. The result is red-faces from the word go, which you are forced to handle by lowering tax rates. After that things come on their own. Most cities have growth rates of 3, 4,5 or even 6%.

The next step you can easily guess. Each turn that passes, one of your cities grows, you have to build the city upgrade or else those blue faces will turn red and in a couple of turns a civil revolt will strip you of the revenues from that nifty mine you just managed to build there (as I said, almost all eastern satrapies have mine resources, as does Sardis, Mazaka and Ipsos in the west). You are fighting a losing battle really, as I had a couple of cases that just as soon as the city upgrade was completed, in the same turn the city grew and you had to build the next city upgrade.

With all this expenditure for the war effort and trying to keep your cities under control (building even more garrison units and whatever low level health/entertainment/security building you can afford), it is easy to see why developing your economy is a challenge.

Now there are alternatives to this:

1) abandon half your empire, move your capital to the part you keep, throw all your money in that region, then you have a sound economy and maybe you'll get the chance to do a heroic "anabasis" and reconquer (in the future) your former holdings (suggested earlier on) - the problem is that it isn't historical and I was aiming to follow the actual Seleukid policy, which would not include abandoning territories without gain (Seleukos Nikator abandoned Gandhara as part of a peace deal which included Indian Elephants for him and a powerful alliance with the Mauryas, the rest they lost through conquest and secession)

2) Throw all your money in certain "focal" points of the empire, developing regional centers (esp. those connected to eachother via ports). This could work better, but I fear that it might also lead to many isolated "pockets" in case things in your other (underdeveloped) cities spiral out of control (civil revolts). In that case you're *********d...

I'm sure that others might make either of these two (or any other possible) alternatives work for them, but that's why I said this is like a guide on how (NOT) to play the Seleukids

Once you take more of egypt money shouldn't be a problem. You'll be racking it in then. I recommand once you kick the macedonians out of asia minor, put like 6-10 pikemen units in Byzantion. If you don't mind using them to block the street exits into the plaza, you should be able to hold it. The biggest problem with lack of income I find, is the lack of good ports. Untill you start taking Egyptian cities, you only have 2 ports that can make any real money, Antioch and Sardis. And if your at war with macedon and eygpt, even those probably won't be making money. You need someone to trade with in order to make money.

Keep it up!
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast