Thread: The Constant Empire: A Romuli AAR

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default The Constant Empire: A Romuli AAR

Since I installed the last update I lost my Romuli save So I've decided to do a (long-promised) AAR for my next shot at it.
    Intro/Prequel
    From the diary of Lucius Julianus Flavius:
    1st January 222 ST:
    It's been a year since the plagues finally left our lands. We have not recieved orders to raze a village or cordon off a district for at least three, and new recruits are again filling the enlistment quotas. Hopefully we will no longer need to use contemptable noxii as our light infantry. And our medium infantry, police and... well, you get the idea. Although I must admit, I would sooner see an Uruk blade crush the skull of a criminal than a good honest Romulii. Currently, the old legions are running on a skeleton staff, doing basic garrison duty in our provincial capitols.
    Emperor Gaius seems like he will merge the four legions we currently have to two, recruit some reinforcements and send one legion west to secure the Senate-held castellum of Heraclea, and the other east to deal with a Gladiator uprising under one Spartacus of Capua, and from there into the lands of the Graeci.
    Meanwhile, it seems some economic reforms are needed. The Torment has decimated our trade, destroyed our colonies and depleted our manpower reserves, which places us at a distinct disadvantage to our rivals, the Uruk Dominion in the west and the groping tendrils of the Barka sultan in the east, as he subjugates our Graeci brothers. And, more importantly, recruits their warriors to his vile cause.
    This would be easier to deal with if the king of the Spartans, Leonidas, had not refused our offer of friendship, a diplomatic mission I was unfortunate enough to be the scribe for, and sole survivor, now I think on it...

The Diplomatic Mission to Sparta
    "This, Romulii, had best be good." Grunted the Spartan king. "You know what I did to the Sultan's representative, when he pushed things too far?" He gestured to the city walls, on the other side of which was a moat filled with sharpened stakes. "I threw him, and his entire staff and bodyguards," eyeing the 3 guards and myself in turn, "off the battlements myself!"
    "Our Caesar offers his friendship and comeradeship against the hated Barka." Agrippina said in a measured tone. The old diplomat was used to hearing threats, but was nonetheless treading carefully around this dangerous man. "We would like to coordinate actions against the foe in a spirit of cooperation."
    "I see." Leonidas said. "And what would your Caesar have us do after they have been driven from these shores?"
    The diplomat licked his lips, balancing his words carefully. "We would... expect appropriate recompence for our assistance, and nominal rulership of all Graeci territory..."
    He never finished that sentence, because Leonidas drew is sword and beheaded Agrippina, and his men rushed us.
    I ran. I admit that. The other three lasted about three seconds.
    How I escaped, I have no idea. I just kept running until the pavement beneath my feet turned to grass and three weeks later, I stumbled into Constantium to report to Caesar. How long and even if the Spartans could defend themselves from the Sultan's forces will remain to be seen.

To be continued...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: The Constant Empire: A Romuli AAR

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Nice, if a little short! MOAR!

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

ooh, this is interesting, i'll be keeping an eye on this.